LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Alex Smith Observation.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
If you want to use comp per to prove that Alex was more accurate than Rodgers then you also have to conclude that he was more accurate than peyton manning who ONLY comp 62 per of his passes compared to Alex's 66 per. BTW, peytons mere 62 per set an SEC record so I guess Alex was more accurate than every SEC QB before peyton as well. If you ever watched a Utah game you will see that a lot of his pases where screens and short passes which inflates the per as well as the system that he played in meyer's system which had some exploits defenses weanesses which had a lot of his wrs wide open in the weak mw conference. If you look strictly at at comp per ou can also conclude that Tim Tebow is more Accurate than all of th aforementioned Qb because he had a higher career percentage and even had one year where he completed over 70 per of his pasees. Anyone who actually watch watched them all play can tell you that stats lie sometimes.

Then again, sometimes they don't. I did see a few games of both Smith and Rodgers, and I grew up a Manning fan. So if the stats lie then how do you extrapolate passing accuracy? Do you just go on your own opinion? Go ahead and believe what you want to man, it is obvious you have made your mind up anyway.
If you want to use comp per to prove that Alex was more accurate than Rodgers then you also have to conclude that he was more accurate than peyton manning who ONLY comp 62 per of his passes compared to Alex's 66 per. BTW, peytons mere 62 per set an SEC record so I guess Alex was more accurate than every SEC QB before peyton as well. If you ever watched a Utah game you will see that a lot of his pases where screens and short passes which inflates the per as well as the system that he played in meyer's system which had some exploits defenses weanesses which had a lot of his wrs wide open in the weak mw conference. If you look strictly at at comp per ou can also conclude that Tim Tebow is more Accurate than all of th aforementioned Qb because he had a higher career percentage and even had one year where he completed over 70 per of his pasees. Anyone who actually watch watched them all play can tell you that stats lie sometimes.

I saw quite a few of his games. There is a reason the guy was drafted #1. He was very accurate. I would describe it as surgically accurate. It doesn't matter at this point anyway though let's just watch the games and then we can put all this behind us after this season. If Smith is horrible, or even just mediocre the rest of the season I would hope that all the smith supporters (I guess every fan should be a supporter but you know what I mean) will see the reality. If Smith continues to play at or close to the level of last game (minus the tipped ints obviously) then I would hope that the skeptics could start supporting what will be, in that case, a great developing offense.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by fister30:
Somebody wake me when the niners draft or sign a decent QB.

Can I bury you?

Thug-ish? I can honestly say that I can't remember anything you have ever posted before, yet you have several posts. Interesting.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

I saw quite a few of his games. There is a reason the guy was drafted #1. He was very accurate. I would describe it as surgically accurate. It doesn't matter at this point anyway though let's just watch the games and then we can put all this behind us after this season. If Smith is horrible, or even just mediocre the rest of the season I would hope that all the smith supporters (I guess every fan should be a supporter but you know what I mean) will see the reality. If Smith continues to play at or close to the level of last game (minus the tipped ints obviously) then I would hope that the skeptics could start supporting what will be, in that case, a great developing offense.

Well said

Can I bury you?

Thug-ish? I can honestly say that I can't remember anything you have ever posted before, yet you have several posts. Interesting.

One can say the same about you, and me for that matter...what's the point?

Can I bury you?

Just a facetious joke . You talking s**t about Smith is obvious, so by me saying "Can I bury you?" is actually just me saying that Smith will be here a long time.
  • Tman
  • Veteran

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Then again, sometimes they don't. I did see a few games of both Smith and Rodgers, and I grew up a Manning fan. So if the stats lie then how do you extrapolate passing accuracy? Do you just go on your own opinion? Go ahead and believe what you want to man, it is obvious you have made your mind up anyway.

I don't have my mind made up. I would love for Alex to prove me wrong and that way we can start moving forward toward championships instead of taking the next few years to develop another QB. Like I said in previous posts, I have been spoiled by Joe and then Steve who were incredibly accurate so even though Alex is not a horrible QB I just can't see him ever being as accurate as they were which I have a hard time living with as a 49er fan. We shall see where we are at the end of the season.

I don't have my mind made up. I would love for Alex to prove me wrong and that way we can start moving forward toward championships instead of taking the next few years to develop another QB. Like I said in previous posts, I have been spoiled by Joe and then Steve who were incredibly accurate so even though Alex is not a horrible QB I just can't see him ever being as accurate as they were which I have a hard time living with as a 49er fan. We shall see where we are at the end of the season.

If you didn't have your mind made up, why would alex have to prove you wrong?
Originally posted by darkknight49:

It is quite simple so don't scratch your head too hard. If my mind was made up there is nothing Alex could do to change it. If it is not made up he can. Just because I have a hypothesis doesn't mean I have already drawn my conclusion. In fact I am sure you paid attention in 8th grade so therefore you learned the steps of the scientific method which are:
Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

My hypothesis is Alex is not accurate enough to take us to the promise land. The season will be the test of that ( a good test actually because a lot of other variables have ben eliminated like not having the same system, bad Oline, bad WRs, no running game to take the pressure off him) and we can all analyze the the data and come to hopefully similar conclusion and communicate those conclusions on this message board.

It is quite simple so don't scratch your head too hard. If my mind was made up there is nothing Alex could do to change it. If it is not made up he can. Just because I have a hypothesis doesn't mean I have already drawn my conclusion. In fact I am sure you paid attention in 8th grade so therefore you learned the steps of the scientific method which are:
Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Communicate Your Results

My hypothesis is Alex is not accurate enough to take us to the promise land. The season will be the test of that ( a good test actually because a lot of other variables have ben eliminated like not having the same system, bad Oline, bad WRs, no running game to take the pressure off him) and we can all analyze the the data and come to hopefully similar conclusion and communicate those conclusions on this message board.

Thank you Darwin, for the proper delineation of the scientific method. Too bad you are doing it wrong.

One of the things about being a scientist is that you do not judge the data before it is complete. Therefore, there is no right or wrong until the experiment is done and analyzed (as you have mentioned), and we all know the Alex Smith experiment is ongoing (whether we like it or not). To make a judgement before the end of the experiment violates the principles by which the scientific method is based on and exists for.

I'll chalk this up to poor word choice.
  • ZRF80

Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Communicate Your Results

Thank you Darwin, for the proper delineation of the scientific method. Too bad you are doing it wrong.

One of the things about being a scientist is that you do not judge the data before it is complete. Therefore, there is no right or wrong until the experiment is done and analyzed (as you have mentioned), and we all know the Alex Smith experiment is ongoing (whether we like it or not). To make a judgement before the end of the experiment violates the principles by which the scientific method is based on and exists for.

So how long is this experiment ? In medicine, when doing research, we use a term called time lag bias. In essence, it means you delay publishing your results until you get a desired/undesired effect. I think this is exactly what we've done with Alex Smith. We keep waiting on him to give us the results, and until he does so....we're willing to wait on him.

I'll take it a step further. Lets assume that Smith DOES pan out this season. If you average the results from the past 2 games, you could barely give him passing marks. Now, mind you....this is a 6th year veteran who we're banking our Superbowl dreams on. Can you honestly say that, even if Smith has the best season of his career, he looks like a perennial probowler that can carry the team on his shoulders when the going gets tough ? And if answer yes, is this based on one solid 2 minute drive he put together (last week) in his 6 year career ?!

Comeon. Everyone here likes to talk reality, but Smith is way past the "I can be a superstar in this league" part of his career. At this point, Niner fans are just hoping he can be serviceable so that we dont feel we lost a number 1 draft pick to naught. At best, you're gonna get 1 or 2 good years with Smith. I dont think anyone here believes that he can, at this point, become the next Manning or Brady and carry the team when we have injuries or a pisspoor gameplan in place. He needs everything to be perfect, and even then we're hoping he can be consistent enough to pull out a win.

This is what we're trying to get out of Alex Smith. Personally, I feel its a lost cause. Id rather find a player than can serve as a leader for the next 7-10 years. A player I can count on to lead the team even if our line sucks, our receivers cant catch, and our star RB is injured. Not someone that needs all cylinders clicking at once in order to have success.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Communicate Your Results

So how long is this experiment ? In medicine, when doing research, we use a term called time lag bias. In essence, it means you delay publishing your results until you get a desired/undesired effect. I think this is exactly what we've done with Alex Smith. We keep waiting on him to give us the results, and until he does so....we're willing to wait on him.

I'll take it a step further. Lets assume that Smith DOES pan out this season. If you average the results from the past 2 games, you could barely give him passing marks. Now, mind you....this is a 6th year veteran who we're banking our Superbowl dreams on. Can you honestly say that, even if Smith has the best season of his career, he looks like a perennial probowler that can carry the team on his shoulders when the going gets tough ? And if answer yes, is this based on one solid 2 minute drive he put together (last week) in his 6 year career ?!

Comeon. Everyone here likes to talk reality, but Smith is way past the "I can be a superstar in this league" part of his career. At this point, Niner fans are just hoping he can be serviceable so that we dont feel we lost a number 1 draft pick to naught. At best, you're gonna get 1 or 2 good years with Smith. I dont think anyone here believes that he can, at this point, become the next Manning or Brady and carry the team when we have injuries or a pisspoor gameplan in place. He needs everything to be perfect, and even then we're hoping he can be consistent enough to pull out a win.

This is what we're trying to get out of Alex Smith. Personally, I feel its a lost cause. Id rather find a player than can serve as a leader for the next 7-10 years. A player I can count on to lead the team even if our line sucks, our receivers cant catch, and our star RB is injured. Not someone that needs all cylinders clicking at once in order to have success.

Honestly, there really is no arguing that. the team feels like he finally has everything he needs is waiting for something to happen and I think everyone can agree that it is taking a while to get results. However, you need to say that about the entire team as well.
another tipped INT
I know one thing i am noticing. of course you cant fault crabs on a slip, but so far 3 of alex's ints this season came on passes to Crabs. a coincidence, i think not.
Share 49ersWebzone