LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Is Chilo Rachal a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Chilo Rachal a bust?

This dude seems really up and down and a little injury prone. Our offense line looked as good as its been for a long time last night (other than baas' safety). Rachal was a high draft pick. Is he a bust?
If the Niners dumped him like they did Kentwan Balmer, then yes, I'd say he's a bust.

I like him for depth.
He's overrated on this board. More of a backup IMO. He has no business being a starter.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's overrated on this board. More of a backup IMO. He has no business being a starter.

So isn't being a solid back up bust material for pick 39 overall?
He's been up and down, but give him another year or two. Yesterday Jeremy Newberry said that offensive linemen work best when they have continuity. We need to keep the same 5 guys working side by side with each other for more than one season. It's unfortunate when injuries occur, but IMO we need to stick with the guys we have for now.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

People on the WZ think he is a star. He is a backup. That's the difference. I don't think he is an outright bust at this point. But mentally he misses too many assignments. I think he is one of those guys who has ability but a 10 cent head like Nate Davis.
he might've been our best linemen down the stretch last year
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Too talented and too young to give up just yet. It's his first year with Solari so give it the whole year before declaring him a bust.

People on the WZ think he is a star. He is a backup. That's the difference. I don't think he is an outright bust at this point. But mentally he misses too many assignments. I think he is one of those guys who has ability but a 10 cent head like Nate Davis.

I haven't seen ANYBODY on this board call him a "star."

I think he's a bust. I have never been impressed by Rachal. The Line played great without him last night, and I don't see it playing any better with him in there.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I haven't seen ANYBODY on this board call him a "star."

I think he's a bust. I have never been impressed by Rachal. The Line played great without him last night, and I don't see it playing any better with him in there.

I agree.

Overrated yes.

However, I feel Chilo is a good starter. It seems every starter on the o-line seems to have mental hiccups. Just cut him some slack.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Too talented and too young to give up just yet. It's his first year with Solari so give it the whole year before declaring him a bust.

See what I mean? I see this all the time on the WZ. Where is the talent? Show me. Don't tell me.

ditto

that's a fair point. Though I think he's in "bust" territory, I am curious to see how he plays when he gets back in there. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he plays well and the line continues its success from last night.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

that's a fair point. Though I think he's in "bust" territory, I am curious to see how he plays when he gets back in there. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he plays well and the line continues its success from last night.

If he were a 3-7th round pick he would not be in consideration for the term "Bust", but as a 2nd, which is VERY high pick for a guard, so you can have this conversation, I think I would say a disappointment, in that his development is so slow. I would not cut or trade him yet, but Snyder looked better out there than a swinging door!
Share 49ersWebzone