There are 171 users in the forums

The Best News I've Heard Today RE: Norris and Byham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kevin Lynch of SF Chronicle says "Singletary also said Nate Byham's role could increase as the season goes on because of his flexibility to be an in-line and lead blocker."

The traditional fullback position is now a dying breed. The era of the H-back is well upon us now and I believe we have ourselves one hell of a potential H-back. In this league, you have to have versatile football players who can play special teams and multiple positions. This philosophy has led to the emergence of the H-back and rookie Nate Byham is here to embrace that role. He has shown to be a good blocker and has also shown surprisingly good hands. It will get to a point where when we have Vernon Davis and Nate Byham on the field at the same time, you won't know whether we are passing or running.

We can soon forever wave bye-bye to Moran Norris. Hello Nate Byham.

[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Sep 21, 2010 at 13:39:33 ]
Yea I noticed that. You can always find a good use for a TE from BYU. Do that dirty work and he will see a few more passes his way during the season.
Good
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for verb1der.
But...but...Norris is Gore's best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by valrod33:
Good
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I noticed that. You can always find a good use for a TE from BYU. Do that dirty work and he will see a few more passes his way during the season.

He's from Pittsburg, but yes, the more he proves to be a warrior on the field and the more he learns, the more opportunities he is going to get. I was quite surprised by his pass-catching ability. When we first drafted him, I thought he was Billy Bajema part II, but Baalke has done a great job to find gems and value in the 2010 draft class.
Norris looked confused when carrying the ball last night, I actually laughed out loud at the site, of Norris running with the ball.!
I agree. With this being more of a passing league these days, I would be a strong proponent of carrying two H-backs, or just one H-back and open up a roster spot for someone else -- DB, WR, LB, DL, whatever. Norris is not proving himself as anything so special that he has to be kept. As soon as the coaching staff sees that Byham can block just as well, in addition to having better pass-catching ability, Norris will have next to no value on this team. Sure, you could argue ST's, but there are a plethora of other young players who could fill that role (for less money too).
Yeah, Moron Norris killed us on two key plays last night...he got called on a hold on a huge return and I'm totally drawing a blank on the other one now. Help me out here. He did do a fine job of lead blocking though.
byham will eat into walkers reps too

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, Byham is a keeper.
been very impressed with Byham so far. Expected him to be a decent blocker, but he's been better than advertised, IMO. And his catching ability is WAY more than I expected. It would be great to see him get an expanded role as the season goes on.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Byham has been solid for sure, I still think Norris is solid strictly as a blocker, but yeah I like what I have seen from Byham
Originally posted by HessianDud:
been very impressed with Byham so far. Expected him to be a decent blocker, but he's been better than advertised, IMO. And his catching ability is WAY more than I expected. It would be great to see him get an expanded role as the season goes on.

This draft keeps getting better.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
byham will eat into walkers reps too

I was thinking that as well and how can you not when Walker had that costly fumble. But right now, I'll take Byham replacing Norris and giving Smith another weapon and in this case a secret weapon.
Share 49ersWebzone