There are 142 users in the forums

Singletary: Heitman's job in jeopardy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
interesting...maybe someone should show sing the ball getting snapped 50 ft. over smith's head.

1 play...

That came back to haunt us later in the game losing to 2 points.

We lost by three, strictly speaking, in the end, the 2 pt differential caused by the safety didn't matter as a field goal would have still won it for the Saints on their last drive.
Hate to bring up the old thread I started a while back, but David Baas as a center>>>> Eric Heitmann at center
... But quite feasibly at guard, rather than center.

In case you didn't read the name of who's posting this and just assumed because the word "Heitmann" was in the title, that this is a MadDog post, this is in fact not MadDog. So please, feel free to hate on me instead. Fling mud. Cry. Scream. Kick yourself into a circle on the floor. Whatever makes you feel better.

But to the point -- let's be real folks, regardless of what Baas does, Heitmann has proven himself far too valuable a player to keep on he bench. He has three Bob McKittrick awards for a reason. For those who have forgotten, Heitmann started his career at guard and played very well there. Chilo Rachal has not lived up to expectations thus far, and now he's hurt. Considering the fact that we've already started making changes, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Heitmann in there at guard if they like Baas too much to pull him. Rachal is running out of time.

Another option is Heitmann returning to center, and Baas sliding over to guard, but if the team chemistry continues to grow, the first option I mentioned previously would probably be the better way to go.

Let's not even talk about Adam Snyder.. He's the last option in all of this.

All this "Heitmann is losing his spot" stuff means next to nothing. With a struggling Rachal, an extremely mediocre Snyder, and not to mention Baas' injury history, I think we can bank on Heitmann starting again -- somewhere -- this season.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Baas has great size and power, but he has very limited mobility because he's slow as f**k and clumsy. Whenever he would try to pull he would get there late and whiff at the block or trip over his own or another lineman's feet.

Center is the position that requires the least range of motion on the o-line, where Baas can use his superior size and strength to get push in the center of the line without having to move around all that much.

All these years maybe he was just playing out of position.

Iupati and Davis are going to be beasts. Baas could quite possibly be an upgrade at center. Staley is solid at LT, and although not an elite LT he still gets the job done. Rachal still has loads of talent but he's really testing my patience and doesn't seem to be able to put it together yet, but again he has lots of potential. Snyder played really good last night at guard, it could be a fluke or it could mean he's a natural RG. Heitman is a solid veteran who I think would probably be better at RG than C at this point. Simms was very solid last year at LT. Boone has potential.

We went from having a crappy o-line to having a potentially dominating line with lots of quality depth in one year. This is exciting.

I agree with this message...

Has MadDog weighed on this thread yet??
I agree MadDog...I mean, OTC...

but seriously: I think Baas has done nothing to lose the job at C. In fact, I think he's excelled there. I think when Chilo is back, they should give him a shot at RG again and if he fails, try Heitmann there.

Chilo will be back before Heitmann, right? If so, that gives us a chance to get him totally healthy and eliminate all the other possibilities before he's back, and then find out how he best fits in.

But I admit that I would LOVE to see a line of Staley-Iupati-Baas-Heitmann-Davis.
Don't tell Redrathman: he will call you stupid.

However, Heitmann at RG is an upgrade overall to this OL.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

but seriously: I think Baas has done nothing to lose the job at C.

Really? Nothing? Snapping the ball 20 ft over the head of the QB is nothing? That play basically cost us the game, that's alot more than nothing to me....
wtf otc and maddog are the same poster?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I agree as well. Heitmann is our smartest O lineman< it would be great for A davis to have Heitmann beside him.
Guard? He would be even more a liability at guard than center because he cannot drive block and would get knocked on hi a$$ more as a guard than he did as a center. At Center at least he can use his smarts and experience to read blitzes and help out blocking guys but he can't block a 300pd DT by himself.

But I am happy to hear that it looks Baas will remain the starting center even when Heitmann is healthy. I guess he was not as good as some people thought he was otherwise there would be a rush to get him back in the starting lineup.

I would keep Snyder at RG but I can understand why they would want him as the 6th O-Lineman as he can come right and play any position in case of injury. That being said, if Rachal continues to struggle, get him out of there. He is becoming an OG version of Kwame Harris.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:

Really? Nothing? Snapping the ball 20 ft over the head of the QB is nothing? That play basically cost us the game, that's alot more than nothing to me....

it was a terrible play no doubt, but if you watched the rest of the game--did you?--you would have noticed that Baas played extremely well.
It really takes a full year to get over a broken bone. Bryant Young wasn't the same when he came back, and I don't think that Heitmann will be back to form right away. He needs some time to heal that bone and to heal mentally (not favor the broken leg, or else he'll get the other leg injured).

Please excuse my math skills; but, A safety is worth 2 and we lost by 3. How did this single play cost us the game? Isn't it more likely the turnovers in the red-zone cost us more? Those should have at least counted as 3 points each...
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Please excuse my math skills; but, A safety is worth 2 and we lost by 3. How did this single play cost us the game? Isn't it more likely the turnovers in the red-zone cost us more? Those should have at least counted as 3 points each...

Share 49ersWebzone