Delanie Walker - More touches or less?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
If he learns to hold the ball secure and not waving it around as he runs through traffic and causing fumbles, then sure, let him touch it. The guy always fumbles at the most inopportune times, usually causing a shift in momentum and leading to the Niner's losing.

This is what I mean.

Really? because before last night he had 2 career fumbles...

The bigger "shift in momentum" play, was the muffed punt by Phillip adams.

3 career fumbles on 59 catches
none on 6 carries
2 more on 25 kickoff returns

5 total in 90 career touches

http://www.nfl.com/players/delaniewalker/careerstats?id=WAL115671

5 in 90 touches is pretty bad IMO. There are RB's in this league who go 100 or more touches with 0 fumbles.

he doesnt respect that ball. even in traffic he carries it like a loaf of bread

I love me some Delanie but man you're right...I brace myself everytime he gets tackled because of the way he holds that ball.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I won't defend the fumble last night at all, but will say that he does create matchup problems for other defenses.

As for the Saints, in case you missed it last year they have perfected the stand em up and the next defender slaps the ball out.

They killed the Vikings last year in the play offs with that.

Yeah, and to be honest the Saints got lucky on their TO's. Philip Adams mistake? That wasn't a good play by Saints, lucky tips, which 9 times out of 10 comes to nothing. Against us, we were better but they were more lucky.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
High risk, high reward. I say give him another chance, hes one of our playmakers. Just tell that mf to hold onto the ball.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
He's actually very good and a useful weapon, but he cannot keep turning the ball over. Sad thing is, the coaches will keep playing him in spite of it.
Less. I think Delanie's a decent backup and should be used on 2-3 designed plays for him, and sprinkle him in here and there, but I'm not thrilled about being a role player we rely on. Bynam is the much better blocker, and I'd like to see more 3 WR sets.
Originally posted by jrg:
Slightly less. Give them to Vernon.

Vernon is getting routinely bracketed. Has a LB underneath with safety over the top.

Crabtree and Morgan have to pick up the slack.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Same. Just teach him to not fumble at the worst possible time. He is a good player, he just needs to stop doing stupid crap.
Delanie will correct this. Don't forget that Gore had this problem too for a while. Delanie is a good player. Of course if he doesn't correct it, he should be cut.
Originally posted by Antix:
Same. Just teach him to not fumble at the worst possible time. He is a good player, he just needs to stop doing stupid crap.

He makes a habit of that.
Share 49ersWebzone