LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Delanie Walker - More touches or less?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Delanie Walker - More touches or less?

With Delanie Walker there is no denying his athletic ability. He's pretty big and strong and fast although not as big or fast as Vernon. Still he is a rare athlete. But he seems to have an uncanny habbit of fumbling at terrible times deep down the field or dropping the ball. The fumble driving down the field last night and the drop last year in Seattle come to mind.

He is big and stong and fast. But there is something about this guys "ball security" that is just terrible. Until he gets that figured out I'd rather see him get the ball way less or not at all. It's gotten to the point of beyond frustration now.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 21, 2010 at 12:55:43 ]
High risk, high reward. I say give him another chance, hes one of our playmakers. Just tell that mf to hold onto the ball.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With Delanie Walker there is no denying his athletic ability. He's pretty big and strong and fast although not as big or fast as Vernon. Still he is a rare athlete. But he seems to have an uncanny habbit of fumbling at terrible times deep down the field or dropping the ball. The fumble driving down the field last night and the drop last year in Seattle come to mind.

He is big and stong and fast. But there is something about this guys "ball security" that is just terrible. Until he gets that figured out I'd rather see him get the ball way less or not at all. It's gotten to the point of beyong frustration now.

He fumbled on kick returns a couple times i believe in the past too
Originally posted by bigmike55:
High risk, high reward. I say give him another chance, hes one of our playmakers. Just tell that mf to hold onto the ball.

Where is the reward with him? All I ever see him do is F. up at key moments. What reward?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Slightly less. Give them to Vernon.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

He is big and stong and fast. But there is something about this guys "ball security" that is just terrible. Until he gets that figured out I'd rather see him get the ball way less or not at all. It's gotten to the point of beyong frustration now.

He fumbled on kick returns a couple times i believe in the past too

All he does is fumble. It's his favorite habbit. I swear he carries the ball like a loaf of bread.
Every pattern run by Delanie should be an out pattern (where he goes out of bounds after the catch), or a hook pattern (where he goes down after the catch). Forget YAC. Just hold on to the daggum ball.
i would say keep his touches the same until he works on his fumbling thing. he doesn't seem to know how to hold the ball in traffic--but that IS something that can be corrected.

overall, in the long-run, i would like to see him get more touches. i think he is a dynamic player.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Every pattern run by Delanie should be an out pattern (where he goes out of bounds after the catch), or a hook pattern (where he goes down after the catch). Forget YAC. Just hold on to the daggum ball.

LOL. So true.

He is big and stong and fast. But there is something about this guys "ball security" that is just terrible. Until he gets that figured out I'd rather see him get the ball way less or not at all. It's gotten to the point of beyond frustration now.

I agree. Walker provides a match up problem for defenses, but he's got to learn how to hold on to that ball. He lost a fumble last year though I believe he fumbled it a couple more times that we recovered. And yesterday's fumble was costly since it was in the redzone and we were about to take the lead.

Originally posted by HessianDud:
i would say keep his touches the same until he works on his fumbling thing. he doesn't seem to know how to hold the ball in traffic--but that IS something that can be corrected.

overall, in the long-run, i would like to see him get more touches. i think he is a dynamic player.

If he can hold the ball he can be a dynamic player. I wouldn't put him in that category righ now. He hasn't proven that by a long shot. A 30 yard gain followed by the customary fumble doesn't help you...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I don't Him like as kick returner.
Less. I keep hearing about how he creates mis match but not one thing about how he creates td's.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

If he can hold the ball he can be a dynamic player. I wouldn't put him in that category righ now. He hasn't proven that by a long shot. A 30 yard gain followed by the customary fumble doesn't help you...

well, he obviously doesn't fumble EVERY time he touches the ball, but you're right: his speed and the match-up problems he creates don't do us much good if you can't count on him to hold onto the ball.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Less. I keep hearing about how he creates mis match but not one thing about how he creates td's.

He creates fumbles. Not TD's.
Share 49ersWebzone