There are 160 users in the forums

When will stuff go our way?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Almost every ball that was tipped, muffed, and fumbled went the other way. We had opportunities to recover some turnovers and get a key tip to send the game into OT. The muffed punt by Bush and the most important tip of the game was the fg being tipped by Franklin. The way things were going last night, had that been Nedney going for that game winner, that tip would've gone the other way.

Also we cannot spot the Saints 2 points and take away at least 6 points in the redzone from ourselves. It's the little things we need to get better at. Things like covering up the DANG ball when in traffic (Delanie) and understanding where you're at on the field when fielding a punt (Adams)! Hopefully they learn something from this and start to build momentum in the next coming weeks. GO 9ers!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah the niners luck is just terrible right now. I was telling my wife last night its funny that all the luck plays always usually go against us.

We dominated for 20 years, I guess its our turn to still suffer.
It's tough to say when that might happen -- or if it happens at all. Keep in mind -- it may not "go our way" at all. Then again -- the light just might click on next week.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. We really don't know what kind of team we have yet. Yes -- we've played two games. So -- are we the team that showed up against Seattle or the one that played against the Saints? They are two remarkably different teams -- and I think most Niner fans would agree. So -- which one do we have? Too early to tell. We should know more after four or five games.

2. Youth is still KILLING us. I'm going to forgive Phillip Adams because he is a rookie -- but Delanie's fumble is simply inexcusable. He should know better by now -- and there were a couple of a times he nearly coughed it up.

3. Finally -- I don't know if it's the Mark of Cain -- or whatever -- but Alex Smith has some of the worst luck I've ever seen in any QB. When Drew Brees threw an off target pass? Which he did by the way -- it fell harmlessly to the turf. If Alex was off target -- there were 20 Saints standing in line to intercept it. If a Brees pass got batted in the air? It clonked off the heads and keesters of multiple 49ers before falling to the turf. If Alex Smith tossed a tipped ball? There were 20 Saints standing in line to intercept it. Our QB has the most God Awful of luck.

You would think that this streak of misfortune would end at some point -- but it hasn't yet. I don't know if it ever will. This team can turn it around -- but it can also just as easily go into the tank.

Point is -- I don't know which way is up nor if we should be headed up to begin with.

I was saying the same thing to our group watching the game last night but after thinking about it today it just sounds like sour grapes.

I believe that our luck will turn around when we stop making so many dump penalties and get the little things ironed out.

With all the talent we have now, playing hard and smart on every play of every game will get us where we want to be (division winner!)
Sunday!
  • dj43
To add a little fuel to this topic; Rod Brooks just said on the radio that had Ray McDonald not tipped the final field goal, it would have been wide left. Rod said he was standing directly between the goal posts and it was clear the ball started way left and McDonald deflected it back on path.
Originally posted by dj43:
To add a little fuel to this topic; Rod Brooks just said on the radio that had Ray McDonald not tipped the final field goal, it would have been wide left. Rod said he was standing directly between the goal posts and it was clear the ball started way left and McDonald deflected it back on path.

i'm just going to refuse to believe that, otherwise I will not survive the week.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He dont know that for sure. You cant tell which way a ball is going to hook from that stand point.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

how was Ray supposed to know that, though. the effort was amazing. Ray played out of his mind last night.

It did look like that.

I know man.... it's sad. Hopefully starting Sunday at KC. We have a lot of bad luck in recent years.
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:

He dont know that for sure. You cant tell which way a ball is going to hook from that stand point.

Fitz challenged him on that and Brooks insisted it was clear that Hartley had mis-hit it and it was not going to be good. Also, the wind was pushing everything left at that point.

I don't want to think about it but it was what Brooks claims.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sacniner:
I know man.... it's sad. Hopefully starting Sunday at KC. We have a lot of bad luck in recent years.

Anybody remember the last game at KC. I think it was something like 41-0.
  • dj43
Originally posted by boast:

how was Ray supposed to know that, though. the effort was amazing. Ray played out of his mind last night.

Oh, hey, nobody was blaming McDonald. He was doing what he is trained to do. Anytime a guy gets a hand on the ball it is a great effort. Too bad it didn't get knocked down completely.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sacniner:

Anybody remember the last game at KC. I think it was something like 41-0.

lets not think about it
Share 49ersWebzone