LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Compared to Alex Smith, Alex Smith's play was an A+.

Compared to a Drew Brees, his grade was a D

Compared to a Peyton Manning, his play was an F.

Compared to Joe Montana, F

Compared to Steve Young, F

Compared to Jeff Garcia, C.

Compared to Tim Rattay, an A.

As you can see, Niner fans think Smith has finally arrived.

I agree

How so? I know about Zee's anti Alex attitude but yours, I'm still learning.

Please, enlighten me...

I believe they are the same person, if not they should hook up and become bff's.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Compared to a Drew Brees, his grade was a A

Other than the two INTs', Smith had a MUCH better day throwing the ball than Brees.

Smith went deep and the balls were caught.

Brees was off the mark on the times he did go deep.

Smith hit his Intermediate targets, Brees had ONE catch in that Range.

Smith had the two short yard Interceptions off of tipped Passes. One of which should have dropped harmlessly to the turf.

Nobody thinks Smith has arrived. We just want to give credit where it's due.

I got tired of your wet blanket act and tossed it in the dryer. You can have it back when the buzzer sounds. I was even nice enough to drop a couple softener sheets in with it so you won't have anything more to complain about.

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

If you ask any Saints fan what they would grade Brees's play on Monday night, Im sure no one would crown him the way you guys crowned Smith. He had a pretty bad day, and thats saying a lot for a guy that had ZERO turnovers and led his team for a gamewinning drive in less than 90 seconds.

As others have pointed out, you guys have become so enamored with Alex Smith that you only compare him to....well.........Alex Smith. You're more impressed with his play because he did what he usually doesnt do. He made some good plays, and led a decent final drive......of course, his players had to bail him out a few times when he threw some high passes, etc. but that seems to be lost in the conversation.

The point is that somewhere along the line you people need to stop comparing Alex Smith 2010 to Alex Smith 2005, Alex Smith 2006, Alex Smith 2008, and Alex Smith 2009. If you're gonna paint a playoff picture in the NFC, the quarterbacks that the Niners will be facing are:

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

If you had to compare Smith to any one of those guys at this point of his career, knowing that he is a 6th year veteran that was drafted number 1 overall, where exactly would you place him amongst those guys ?

Yeah, exactly...........
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

I think he showed some very nice flashes. He was still not good enough with WR's, and had some accuracy issues early on, one of which resulted in an INT. However, he showed some of what he should have shown us 5 years ago in the last drive, and that was very promising. I think you make one good point though, and that is that zoners are comparing him to his normal crappy play and not to what we should expect of a #1 draft pick in year six of his NFL career. Either way, I'm happy with the very recent progress in game 2, given where we are with his unacceptably slow development curve.
Originally posted by Shaj:

I think he showed some very nice flashes. He was still not good enough with WR's, and had some accuracy issues early on, one of which resulted in an INT. However, he showed some of what he should have shown us 5 years ago in the last drive, and that was very promising. I think you make one good point though, and that is that zoners are comparing him to his normal crappy play and not to what we should expect of a #1 draft pick in year six of his NFL career. Either way, I'm happy with the very recent progress in game 2, given where we are with his unacceptably slow development curve.

Oooooo....nice backhanded compliment there my friend.
  • ZRF80

This isnt new for Smith. Everyone likes to raise their arms and breathe a sigh a relief everytime Alex has one of these games. I can go back to 2005 and pick out 1 to 2 games from each season where Alex seemed to have "arrived", only to fill our heads with doubt by season's end. This, in itself, is the conundrum that the Niners find themsleves in. Which Alex is the real Alex Smith ? The one from week 1, who couldnt get his team to crawl out of a hole against one of the worst teams in the NFL, or the Smith from week 2.....who actually proved that he could move the chains when it counted ?

The Saints were up 9-0 at the end of the 1st quarter, and the majority of Ninertalk (including the loyalists) were asking for Alex's head by quarter 2. He got a lot of them to jump back on his bandwagon when he had a good drive (which btw wasnt him, but Gore 99% of the way). Im not saying that Alex's game was a fluke, but Ive seen this rerun all too often to "give him his dues" and accept him as "heir apparent".

If he can prove to be consistent throughout the season, then Im willing to back off on my criticism. But history proves that Alex WILL let us down. Whats unfortunate is that the majority of Niner fans (consisting mostly of youngsters that started watching the Niners during the Garcia era) are willing to accept a half-assed QB that can maybe get the job done when it counts. Even Chris Carter, Tom Jackson, and Keyshawn Johnson (along with Boomer) were having laughs when the topic of Alex Smith came up during the pregame show on Monday night: how can you still be wondering whether your QB in his 6th year be the future of a franchise ? It's a joke.

Other than the two INTs', Smith had a MUCH better day throwing the ball than Brees.

Smith had the two short yard Interceptions off of tipped Passes. One of which should have dropped harmlessly to the turf.

I got tired of your wet blanket act and tossed it in the dryer. You can have it back when the buzzer sounds. I was even nice enough to drop a couple softener sheets in with it so you won't have anything more to complain about.

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

If you ask any Saints fan what they would grade Brees's play on Monday night, Im sure no one would crown him the way you guys crowned Smith. He had a pretty bad day, and thats saying a lot for a guy that had ZERO turnovers and led his team for a gamewinning drive in less than 90 seconds.

As others have pointed out, you guys have become so enamored with Alex Smith that you only compare him to....well.........Alex Smith. You're more impressed with his play because he did what he usually doesnt do. He made some good plays, and led a decent final drive......of course, his players had to bail him out a few times when he threw some high passes, etc. but that seems to be lost in the conversation.

The point is that somewhere along the line you people need to stop comparing Alex Smith 2010 to Alex Smith 2005, Alex Smith 2006, Alex Smith 2008, and Alex Smith 2009. If you're gonna paint a playoff picture in the NFC, the quarterbacks that the Niners will be facing are:

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

If you had to compare Smith to any one of those guys at this point of his career, knowing that he is a 6th year veteran that was drafted number 1 overall, where exactly would you place him amongst those guys ?

Yeah, exactly...........

IT'S A THREAD RATING ALEX SMITH TO... *GASP*... ALEX SMITH!!!!

Being only two games into the season it's a bit premature to rate him comparatively to EVERYBODY ELSE.

So OF COURSE we're going to rate him high because over the last 6 years he has shown glimpses but nothing like this. Holy crap, man don't you EVER stop whining?

Which high passes are you referring to? The ones that the Jaws and Gruden pointed out him putting it up so only THE RECEIVER can get it? I guess Steve has been retired too long cause he used to do that A LOT and I bet you were kissing his azz about it too.

But, let me state yet AGAIN, this thread is titled "RATE SMITH'S PERFORMANCE". Do you get it yet?

"RATE SMITH'S PERFORMANCE"

How bout now?

Is it beginning to take yet?

Making a dent in that thick melon on the top of your shoulders yet?

Oh wait maybe you don't understand what this entails exactly

You take the peformance of one ALEX SMITH AND COMPARE IT TO *OHHHHHHHHHH* ONE ALEX SMITH.

So have you got it yet? Do I have to dumb it down FURTHER for you or you think you can cope now?

Geezus man how much more obtuse can any one man be.

Nobody is saying MVP. We're RATING SMITH based on SMITH. DUH!

~Ceadder
  • ZRF80

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

Yeah, exactly...........

Being only two games into the season it's a bit premature to rate him comparatively to EVERYBODY ELSE.

So OF COURSE we're going to rate him high because over the last 6 years he has shown glimpses but nothing like this. Holy crap, man don't you EVER stop whining?

Which high passes are you referring to? The ones that the Jaws and Gruden pointed out him putting it up so only THE RECEIVER can get it? I guess Steve has been retired too long cause he used to do that A LOT and I bet you were kissing his azz about it too.

But, let me state yet AGAIN, this thread is titled "RATE SMITH'S PERFORMANCE". Do you get it yet?

How bout now?

You take the peformance of one ALEX SMITH AND COMPARE IT TO *OHHHHHHHHHH* ONE ALEX SMITH.

So have you got it yet? Do I have to dumb it down FURTHER for you or you think you can cope now?

~Ceadder

My point exactly. There's a reason why, after 6 years, these threads continue to pop up. Alex isnt good enough to compare to anyone else, so why not just compare him to himself..........

Go sift through this entire thread, and you'll find a lot of your fellow brethren giving Alex props as if he just won the Superbowl. Im just pointing out the obvious; I apologize if you take it as an insult. I know you've spent a considerable amount of your posting energy defending Alex Smith over the past couple years, but hey..the truth hurts.

I guess if we're comparing Alex Smith to Alex Smith, then a 1TD 2INT performance deserves an A+, and in my book........Alex Smith belongs in the Alex Smith Hall of Fame.

Happy ?

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

Yeah, exactly...........

If Alex plays like he did Monday night the rest of the season the Niners will be in good shape. That is a big "if" I concede but he showed things in that game that we have never really seen. The way he commanded the line of scrimmage before the snap was something we haven't seen a lot of in the past. He led long, controlled drives against a pretty good defense. He also struck quick with two beautiful downfield passes in the third. He stayed in the pocket consistently and when he did run he did it to get first downs and not to the sideline to run out of bounds. He seemed to have very effecdtively read the Saints "D" (despite the hyped genius of Gregg Williams) and routinely dissected them in this game. Probably most importantly, when the team needed him to drive them 85 yards in two minutes he did it and he did it brilliantly.

I agree we need to see this consistently. But we are also seeing things in this QB we have never seen before. If he is arriving, and I'll admit "if" then who cares now where he was drafted or how many years it took him to do it. What is the point of all your spin against Smith? The die is cast. He is the QB this year. If he fails he is gone. If he succeeds, this team might be one to reckon with over the next few years.

It is interesting to notice who you have compared Smith to over the last few years. First he was Alex "Leaf" and then he was Brad Johnson. Now you are referencing his performances against the best QBs (albiet, negatively, but it is you who are using names like Brees, Brady and Manning) in the NFL. Seems to be an admission that the kid has progressed a little over the last couple of years. Maybe, just maybe, you might be wrong about him. If you are right he's gone. Why not just hope that you are wrong for the next five or six games at least.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Sorry not trying to jump into anyone's debates, just wanted to throw in my opinion and rating. Here goes:

I gotta give him a B- or an 8 outta 10.

My reasons:

I thought he was a bit shaky in the beginning with his inaccuracy on his short routes with turnovers. What I liked about him was his leadership on the field, competitiveness, his awareness in the pocket, will to win. Unlike last week, where his attitude or body language just didn't seem to be in the game nor did he show a sense of urgency. In this past Monday, he showed it all, everything I always got excited for, I always hoped he would turn into a Matt Hasselbeck type of QB, at times he shows it, at times he shows Giovanni Carmazzi or excuse me, Ryan Leaf.
Originally posted by BHulman:

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

Yeah, exactly...........

Why not just hope that you are wrong for the next five or six games at least.

Dude's entire being would implode if he did, that's why he won't.

~Ceadder

• dugo
  • Veteran
For "week 2" I gave him a B He definitely looked better then the week before. That being said, that's been Alex's m/o one week up two weeks down...Hopefully he's putting it together and gonna play at a high level for himself the 9ers and all us fans
A, he did everything he needed to do to win us the game.

I'm sorry but you guys are full of BS on that one. In that game on monday he played t an extremely high level. He played as well as any of those QB's you mentioned, so comparing him to them is just fine. IF (a huge if, which is the real argument that needs to take place) he strings together a season where 85-90% of the games are like that one he will be a top 10 QB and maybe higher. See that is the problem I have with you two, you can't give credit when it is due. When he played badly most of the people here called him on it because he deserved it. But on Monday night he showed ALOT. All facets of the game Short, meduim and deep throws, long strings of completions in a row, line changes, audibles, and running. He even showed the clutch gene that so many of you say he lacks. IT may be an aberration, but that should be your argument, and not trying to denigrate what was obviously a very good performance.

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

Yeah, exactly...........

How bout now?

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Sorry not trying to jump into anyone's debates, just wanted to throw in my opinion and rating. Here goes:

I gotta give him a B- or an 8 outta 10.

My reasons:

I thought he was a bit shaky in the beginning with his inaccuracy on his short routes with turnovers. What I liked about him was his leadership on the field, competitiveness, his awareness in the pocket, will to win. Unlike last week, where his attitude or body language just didn't seem to be in the game nor did he show a sense of urgency. In this past Monday, he showed it all, everything I always got excited for, I always hoped he would turn into a Matt Hasselbeck type of QB, at times he shows it, at times he shows Giovanni Carmazzi or excuse me, Ryan Leaf.

I don't think Carmazzi ever got into an actual game.
Share 49ersWebzone