LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 328 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I was impressed with Smith's play. He played a very heads up game , liked the yards he got with his feet and how he knocked the ball out of the end zone on the bad snap. I give him a good solid B maybe B+ Now I want to see it done consistently in the next few games.

I agree. Not so much with the grade, but it's a positive one so I won't argue the point. I hope he's allowed to Audible. When he has 15 seconds of free time on his hands I noticed that he was able to audible and adjust to the schemes they were throwing at him. I think that was why the Saints pretty much stopped Blitzing him in combination to him rolling out to gash them for 10-15 yards at a time. That's like having Steve back there and they didn't want no part of that mess anymore. So they kept throwing up Blitz looks and dropping the Defenders back into the Passing Lanes.

Doing that allowed that End to tip that 2nd ball. Staley couldn't follow him and they capitalized on it. Maybe next time Staley hits the guy with a Hip Toss and pancakes him.

Personally I hope we make the Playoffs and I hope that we run into New Orleans. Would be a hell of a game.

~Ceadder
  • ZRF80
Compared to Alex Smith, Alex Smith's play was an A+.

Compared to a Drew Brees, his grade was a D

Compared to a Peyton Manning, his play was an F.

Compared to Joe Montana, F

Compared to Steve Young, F

Compared to Jeff Garcia, C.

Compared to Tim Rattay, an A.

As you can see, Niner fans think Smith has finally arrived.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

He gets an A+ easily his best game ever as a PRO, not by coincidence the O-line had its best game too, but Alex proved to himself mainly that he can make all the throws, that deep one to Vernon was a real beauty plus he looked the defenders off before he threw the ball many times, went to his 2nd option often, felt the passrush keeping his eyes downfield, in essence, he did all the things he has been critized for not doing before he also had all the guys on the field getting back to the huddle fast and showing who is captain out there, good for him...and all of us!

go niners!!

dumbest post of the year award?

he played well compared to any qb he may have not had the passing tds himself but he led the drive its not like we had a 70 or even a 15 yd gore run he led teh ball 70 -80 yds on his td drives converted on 3rd downs etc he played great and only u fly and smokie and sunswell fail to see that

Compared to a Drew Brees, his grade was a A

Other than the two INTs', Smith had a MUCH better day throwing the ball than Brees.

Smith went deep and the balls were caught.

Brees was off the mark on the times he did go deep.

Smith hit his Intermediate targets, Brees had ONE catch in that Range.

Smith had the two short yard Interceptions off of tipped Passes. One of which should have dropped harmlessly to the turf.

Nobody thinks Smith has arrived. We just want to give credit where it's due.

I got tired of your wet blanket act and tossed it in the dryer. You can have it back when the buzzer sounds. I was even nice enough to drop a couple softener sheets in with it so you won't have anything more to complain about.

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I agree
Originally posted by fly15:

I agree

Based on?

~Ceadder

I agree

How so? I know about Zee's anti Alex attitude but yours, I'm still learning.

Please, enlighten me...

I agree

Of course you do.

B+
You have to take care of the football. Besides, other than those two big passes to crabtree and davis back to back, most of his throws were short, so its not like i was blown away. Still, his athleticism and clutch last drive on a big stage were both good signs.

Remember, this is the last year on his contract. No matter what Sing says, if they were really 100 percent sold on him, he would've been signed already.
Originally posted by cNiner:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !
Originally posted by juycho:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !

im confused when did the D bail him out i didnt know they scored any Tds (not saying they didnt play great ) but the D certainl did not bail them out
Originally posted by Surly-Z:
B+
You have to take care of the football. Besides, other than those two big passes to crabtree and davis back to back, most of his throws were short, so its not like i was blown away. Still, his athleticism and clutch last drive on a big stage were both good signs.

Remember, this is the last year on his contract. No matter what Sing says, if they were really 100 percent sold on him, he would've been signed already.

Of course there is a wait-and-see approach as far as Smith is concerned, but I'd like to point out that because of the unsure 2011 season and the huge contract that Brady just signed, the contract extension situations for some QBs are getting murkier. Most teams will want to wait longer, but there is a price to pay as the players may not want to sign prematurely because as the 2011 date gets closer, and the situation gets clarified, there will be a huge rush to get it done. Take McNabb as an example. If the Redskins don't sign him by the end of the year, he'll become free agent, and they'll basically spend a second-round pick for just one year of service. There is much more of an urgency over there, but now McNabb may make the situation more difficult by calling for numbers that approach Brady's because he should know that if he can prove that he plays well outside of Philadelphia, his payday will be huge if he becomes a free agent. There is at least one contender (the Vikings) will be looking for a QB next year.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by juycho:

im confused when did the D bail him out i didnt know they scored any Tds (not saying they didnt play great ) but the D certainl did not bail them out

Exactly. If anyone was bailed out it was Brees.

2 INT and 2 fumble(the fumbles hurt more than the INTs') recoveries kept the Saints in it.

The Safety also. Baas doesn't catapult the Football over Smith's head on the very 1st snap and we come away with a Win. Smith put the team on his back and still gets shat on by the Anti-Smith members of the Zone.

Absof@kinlutely incredible.

The D did their jobs but still let Brees off with a last minute FG to seal the Loss. How is that Smith's fault?

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone