LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by Bayerrya:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The Problem With Alex Smith...

Two things that stood out immediately after the MNF loss to me...

1. Alex Smith had (possibly) the game of his life
2. We did a good job defensively on Drew Brees

The final numbers...

Smith 275 yds 1 TD 2 INTs in defeat
Brees 254 yds 2 TD 0 INTs in victory

Smith (at his best) was outplayed by Brees (on an off day)

The question I ask about Alex is will this guy make big plays in the Super Bowl while wearing our uniform? It's just really hard to picture that happening.

Well Brees has 3 receivers that are better than all of ours, some decent TE's and one of the best pass blocking lines in the L. Not to mention a top 3 offensive CO/head coach in sean payton. And Drew has been there 5 years now learning the same offense.
Comparing players without comparing their situations is extremely short sighted.

:yawn:..gotta love the Alexcuses. Lets just go over every strength of our opposing team, and use that as an excuse
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
The problem I've always had with Alex is his inaccuracy and although he played a great game he still was not hitting his receivers in stride or on the numbers. His 1st int was a bad pass in the flats a couple of his passes to morgan he had 2 go to one knee to catch the long crabtree catch he had 2 stretch to get and the long pass that vernon caught he had to jump to catch which gave the defender time to catch up. Had he hit him in stride he might have been able to beat the safety to the endzone. Even the td to gore was high and required an awesome catch by gore.

also he needs to learn to or develop a pump fake. If our offense checks down as much as we do we will catch some over aggressive defenses with bitting on the short passes. If you notice on the delanie fumble there were 3 guys waiting to takle him with only 1 defender covering 2 wrs in the endzone. There were a couple of other check down plays where there were multiple defenders waiting for the short pass.

I am impressed with his growth in pocket movement which used to be only to the right. His 2 scrambles went to the left which is improvement, however the reason it could have been that open could b because the saints only brought pressure from his right.

I know I'm nit picking but if Alex is gonna b our Qb then he has to make throws that backup qbs can't make and right now he is still a little off. I have yet to see a game where his wr are in the best position to make plays when the ball gets to them. If he can't I say we go for vick who in my opinion is just as accurate as alex at this point.

I think that you are describing what an elite QB should do. With Alex, we have to be happy that he looked like an NFL QB for once. Accuracy is not something that can be taught, but maybe he will start to settle dow if he gets some confidence. But the telling thing is that when you read training camp reports about elite QBs, they always talk about how the ball never hit the ground for the entire practice, while the Niners reports are about interceptions and missed throws. I don't know if this is just a sampling error, but judging by how he throws in games, I wonder.

RAC is predicated on hitting the receiver in stride or even throwing the ball to a spot where the receiver will have an advantage. Once the receiver jumps or leans or dives, RAC is very difficult.
Originally posted by EndAround81:

The final numbers...

The question I ask about Alex is will this guy make big plays in the Super Bowl while wearing our uniform? It's just really hard to picture that happening.

Well Brees has 3 receivers that are better than all of ours, some decent TE's and one of the best pass blocking lines in the L. Not to mention a top 3 offensive CO/head coach in sean payton. And Drew has been there 5 years now learning the same offense.
Comparing players without comparing their situations is extremely short sighted.

:yawn:..gotta love the Alexcuses. Lets just go over every strength of our opposing team, and use that as an excuse

Busting out the word "Alexcuses" doesn't invalidate the point he just made. If you want to debate intelligently, then you can come up with a counter-argument based on logic. But when you just come back with the word "Alexcuses" you are just making yourself look extremely unintelligent and unobservant.
@ all the homers back on his nuts again after playing well enough to lose
Originally posted by Smokie:
The problem I've always had with Alex is his inaccuracy and although he played a great game he still was not hitting his receivers in stride or on the numbers. His 1st int was a bad pass in the flats a couple of his passes to morgan he had 2 go to one knee to catch the long crabtree catch he had 2 stretch to get and the long pass that vernon caught he had to jump to catch which gave the defender time to catch up. Had he hit him in stride he might have been able to beat the safety to the endzone. Even the td to gore was high and required an awesome catch by gore.

also he needs to learn to or develop a pump fake. If our offense checks down as much as we do we will catch some over aggressive defenses with bitting on the short passes. If you notice on the delanie fumble there were 3 guys waiting to takle him with only 1 defender covering 2 wrs in the endzone. There were a couple of other check down plays where there were multiple defenders waiting for the short pass.

I am impressed with his growth in pocket movement which used to be only to the right. His 2 scrambles went to the left which is improvement, however the reason it could have been that open could b because the saints only brought pressure from his right.

I know I'm nit picking but if Alex is gonna b our Qb then he has to make throws that backup qbs can't make and right now he is still a little off. I have yet to see a game where his wr are in the best position to make plays when the ball gets to them. If he can't I say we go for vick who in my opinion is just as accurate as alex at this point.

I think that you are describing what an elite QB should do. With Alex, we have to be happy that he looked like an NFL QB for once. Accuracy is not something that can be taught, but maybe he will start to settle dow if he gets some confidence. But the telling thing is that when you read training camp reports about elite QBs, they always talk about how the ball never hit the ground for the entire practice, while the Niners reports are about interceptions and missed throws. I don't know if this is just a sampling error, but judging by how he throws in games, I wonder.

RAC is predicated on hitting the receiver in stride or even throwing the ball to a spot where the receiver will have an advantage. Once the receiver jumps or leans or dives, RAC is very difficult.

You didn't read all the reports.
B bc we lost, if we won, its an A
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by Five4Five:
Holy sh*t, people are actually giving him D's in here. I am now convinced that there are people in here rooting for Alex to fail. I can't even fathom how anyone can give him a lower than a B-.

He showed good pocket presence, was making good intermediate and short range throws (other than his bad pass to Gore), led the team on a 4th quarter game-tying drive and conversion while calling his own plays, showed excellent mobility, and took what the D gave him and basically carved them up all night. I would give him a B+. I haven't felt this hopeful about him since the Thursday night game in Seattle back in 2006.

Welcome to the zone.

There are lots of fools on this site. I could swear some of these whiteboys on this site think Alex Smith is black. Maybe thats where all the hatred comes from.

Don't start that s**t
Originally posted by fastforward:

I did read about one short session where all the balls were caught. This was noted to be unusual. What's your point?
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

The final numbers...

Busting out the word "Alexcuses" doesn't invalidate the point he just made. If you want to debate intelligently, then you can come up with a counter-argument based on logic. But when you just come back with the word "Alexcuses" you are just making yourself look extremely unintelligent and unobservant.

• 9r4lf
Originally posted by cNiner:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !

I certainly respect your thoughts. I think a D is harsh and based off of your apparent long-term frustration with him, which is understandable. He played his best game - it wasn't good enough to win, but if you gave him a D, you must give Brees an F. Is this the case?

• 9r4lf

The final numbers...

We also ran for 150 yds, they didn't. So Brees had to throw more, which increased his numbers. Also, Brees threw from short fields - red zone. Smith was leading the team down the field.
Originally posted by 9r4lf:

The final numbers...

We also ran for 150 yds, they didn't. So Brees had to throw more, which increased his numbers. Also, Brees threw from short fields - red zone. Smith was leading the team down the field.

all 3 of our TD drives were 80 yards or more and the drive before Delanies fumble that was a 76 yard drive

[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 22, 2010 at 15:21:54 ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by cNiner:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !

Ima laugh when he's right......Love your stuff in the Cell phone thread Boast, but we all know Alex is inconsitent as they come.

[ Edited by WINiner on Sep 22, 2010 at 13:34:27 ]

The final numbers...

Dude, Brees is the best friggin QB in the league right now. He put up 25 on our D. Smith did well, the Saints have a good defense and lead the league in takeaways last year. A lot of other QBs, just look at Favre, didn't play that well vs their D. Smith did well, he put us in position to win, the D couldn't hold their end of the bargain at the end, and we lost. But we lost against the best team in the NFL. Now you're talking about excuses or whatever, but our QB put us in position to have a chance at winning the game.
Originally posted by fastforward:

I did read about one short session where all the balls were caught. This was noted to be unusual. What's your point?

Links, or you're full of shat.

I'm a HUGE Football fan and read a lot of stuff, but NOBODY threw perfect all of Camp.

So it's put up or shut up time for you.

I'm tired of you mouthing off and calling people names. You do have SOME valid points, but for the most part you lack a lot of credibility when it comes to Smith. You hate the man and that's where your credibility ends. Not because you're wrong to hate him, but because you let it color your judgement.

So provide links or just stop posting. Pretty simple request really.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone