Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by boast:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

Alexcuses, Alexcuses is all here for this loser of a QB we have.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Ever ask yourself how come stuff like this always happens to Alex.

Isn't it funny how Brees got his passes batted down too? One of them AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE? Susweel bro, I've figured it out. You and the other Anti Smith establishment types just have to have something to Bish about or your heads implode.

If Smith throws a 200 yard game, then it's the man sucks, he can't throw for 300 yards. Nevermind that Receivers have a hand in Yardage.

If Smith doesn't throw more than 1 TD then it's the man sucks cause Frank had to run the ball in for him.

If he runs to get away from the sack, it's the man sucks cause he can't stay in the Pocket. If he does stand in the pocket then vice versa. If he throws 80% of his Passes on target then it's he sucks he can't throw 90% of them on target. And so on and so forth and

Is it any wonder people get banned around this place? You guys want absolute perfection. That is NEVER going to happen. Not for ANY QB in the League.

There is a reason Joe is the ONLY QB to have never thrown an Interception in the Super Bowl. That's cause throwing them is pretty commonplace. Even when Favre wins he's not perfect. Hell the man still wins and is a virtual turnover machine.

Do I hate that Smith threw 2 Interceptions? You bet your ass I do.

But I'm not going to give a rat's furry ass what the other QBs' in the league do. Why? Cause they aren't playing with our guys. They aren't playing with our Coaches sending in the plays from the sidelines and they damn sure aren't playing against our Opponents.

That doesn't mean I don't watch and see what the other guys do. That just means I don't hold our guys in comparison to Players in different situations.

That's like expecting your C student to hold his own against some 12 year old wunderkind who has 3 advanced degrees to his name.

Not that our guys are C students. Just saying that you have to have some perspective about this or you'll just drive us all nuts to the point where we hate to converse with you.

Was Smith Super Bowl material last night? No.

But he was good enough to beat Brees and the Saints. He looked better too. That's all we can ask. That he plays the game better than the other guy. Only reason they won is cause they had the ball last.

Which brings me right back to wondering why we didn't Onsides after we tied it up. We're playing to win not to Tie. ST on both sides of the ball were not very good Bush was out of the game at that point and our coverage unit actually played damn well. Forgive my intensity, but that was the PERFECT time to call the Onsides and shock the world. If we didn't get the ball back nothing changed. They win by 3. If we got the ball back on their 40, we had a damned good chance to score again and end it before the gun. If we didn't we're tied and no worse off than before the Onsides.

Sorry, I guess that makes too much sense and therefore the reason why we didn't call it.

~Ceadder

Some of you guys are so used to watching crappy QB play, that when someone plays mediocre you guys start giving As like its welfare checks on the first of the month.

275 yards, 1 td, 2 ints and a loss

Sorry Ceadder to me thats a C performance.

We're rating ALEX not the entire list of Starting QBs'.

Based on his entire body of work that DESERVES a C rating?

What the hell are you smoking and not sharing?!!!

I'm not saying that he deserves an A for the season. Just one F@KIN game.

He made the Saints beat him, instead of laying down for 3 quarters and coming up short on the comeback. Even TIED the game with the Defending World Champs.

On top of that this is most likely his lightswitch game. If Sing and Raye let him Audible out and use the armband he should continue to grow into what we expect a Starting QB to look like.

I swear sometimes you guys just argue with me to push my buttons.

~Ceadder
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
C

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Isn't it funny how Brees got his passes batted down too? One of them AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE? Susweel bro, I've figured it out. You and the other Anti Smith establishment types just have to have something to Bish about or your heads implode.

If Smith throws a 200 yard game, then it's the man sucks, he can't throw for 300 yards. Nevermind that Receivers have a hand in Yardage.

If Smith doesn't throw more than 1 TD then it's the man sucks cause Frank had to run the ball in for him.

If he runs to get away from the sack, it's the man sucks cause he can't stay in the Pocket. If he does stand in the pocket then vice versa. If he throws 80% of his Passes on target then it's he sucks he can't throw 90% of them on target. And so on and so forth and

Is it any wonder people get banned around this place? You guys want absolute perfection. That is NEVER going to happen. Not for ANY QB in the League.

There is a reason Joe is the ONLY QB to have never thrown an Interception in the Super Bowl. That's cause throwing them is pretty commonplace. Even when Favre wins he's not perfect. Hell the man still wins and is a virtual turnover machine.

Do I hate that Smith threw 2 Interceptions? You bet your ass I do.

But I'm not going to give a rat's furry ass what the other QBs' in the league do. Why? Cause they aren't playing with our guys. They aren't playing with our Coaches sending in the plays from the sidelines and they damn sure aren't playing against our Opponents.

That doesn't mean I don't watch and see what the other guys do. That just means I don't hold our guys in comparison to Players in different situations.

That's like expecting your C student to hold his own against some 12 year old wunderkind who has 3 advanced degrees to his name.

Not that our guys are C students. Just saying that you have to have some perspective about this or you'll just drive us all nuts to the point where we hate to converse with you.

Was Smith Super Bowl material last night? No.

But he was good enough to beat Brees and the Saints. He looked better too. That's all we can ask. That he plays the game better than the other guy. Only reason they won is cause they had the ball last.

Which brings me right back to wondering why we didn't Onsides after we tied it up. We're playing to win not to Tie. ST on both sides of the ball were not very good Bush was out of the game at that point and our coverage unit actually played damn well. Forgive my intensity, but that was the PERFECT time to call the Onsides and shock the world. If we didn't get the ball back nothing changed. They win by 3. If we got the ball back on their 40, we had a damned good chance to score again and end it before the gun. If we didn't we're tied and no worse off than before the Onsides.

Sorry, I guess that makes too much sense and therefore the reason why we didn't call it.

~Ceadder

Some of you guys are so used to watching crappy QB play, that when someone plays mediocre you guys start giving As like its welfare checks on the first of the month.

275 yards, 1 td, 2 ints and a loss

Sorry Ceadder to me thats a C performance.
Some pretty knowledgeable football guys say you are one letter too low. Even Steve Young, who has been public with his question about whether Smith has the intangibles to be a good QB, said that last night was a top-level performance. Statistics alone are NEVER a complete story. Smith put his team in position to win the game against the World Champions.
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
Originally posted by danimal:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick, Ryan, Romo and YES...Shaun Hill
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

You are saying they those QB's didnt play well? Yea I will give most of those guys an A. Keep in mind we are going off of the seahawks game and comparing that Alex Smith to this games Alex Smith.

Grading on the Alex curve eh?
The problem I've always had with Alex is his inaccuracy and although he played a great game he still was not hitting his receivers in stride or on the numbers. His 1st int was a bad pass in the flats a couple of his passes to morgan he had 2 go to one knee to catch the long crabtree catch he had 2 stretch to get and the long pass that vernon caught he had to jump to catch which gave the defender time to catch up. Had he hit him in stride he might have been able to beat the safety to the endzone. Even the td to gore was high and required an awesome catch by gore.

also he needs to learn to or develop a pump fake. If our offense checks down as much as we do we will catch some over aggressive defenses with bitting on the short passes. If you notice on the delanie fumble there were 3 guys waiting to takle him with only 1 defender covering 2 wrs in the endzone. There were a couple of other check down plays where there were multiple defenders waiting for the short pass.

I am impressed with his growth in pocket movement which used to be only to the right. His 2 scrambles went to the left which is improvement, however the reason it could have been that open could b because the saints only brought pressure from his right.

I know I'm nit picking but if Alex is gonna b our Qb then he has to make throws that backup qbs can't make and right now he is still a little off. I have yet to see a game where his wr are in the best position to make plays when the ball gets to them. If he can't I say we go for vick who in my opinion is just as accurate as alex at this point.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
The problem I've always had with Alex is his inaccuracy and although he played a great game he still was not hitting his receivers in stride or on the numbers. His 1st int was a bad pass in the flats a couple of his passes to morgan he had 2 go to one knee to catch the long crabtree catch he had 2 stretch to get and the long pass that vernon caught he had to jump to catch which gave the defender time to catch up. Had he hit him in stride he might have been able to beat the safety to the endzone. Even the td to gore was high and required an awesome catch by gore.

also he needs to learn to or develop a pump fake. If our offense checks down as much as we do we will catch some over aggressive defenses with bitting on the short passes. If you notice on the delanie fumble there were 3 guys waiting to takle him with only 1 defender covering 2 wrs in the endzone. There were a couple of other check down plays where there were multiple defenders waiting for the short pass.

I am impressed with his growth in pocket movement which used to be only to the right. His 2 scrambles went to the left which is improvement, however the reason it could have been that open could b because the saints only brought pressure from his right.

I know I'm nit picking but if Alex is gonna b our Qb then he has to make throws that backup qbs can't make and right now he is still a little off. I have yet to see a game where his wr are in the best position to make plays when the ball gets to them. If he can't I say we go for vick who in my opinion is just as accurate as alex at this point.

i thought he made a lot of throws where he hit the WR in stride especially on the intermiddeath and long passes

i agree his short passes need a lot of work though

f**k Mike Vick.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

f**k Mike Vick.

this.
  • dj43

Do you watch any of the Colts' games? If so, you see Garcon and Wayne and Clark and Collie have to leap for high passes, and go to their knees, even diving on occasion to catch a less-than-perfect pass from the future HOF lock, Peyton Manning.

Or even see Colston make a couple of amazing catches from Brees last night.

The two passes Smith made to Crabtree and then Davis were as good as anybody throws in this league. You are being overly critical. When a QB completes 13 of 18 with three drops in there, he is doing something right.
His only mistake was the pass to Gore. Not sure if it was the wind but either way it was too far outside. If Gore doesn't touch the ball it goes out of bounce. The ball just didn't bounce our way last night. Other than that given time to throw he put the ball on the money... moved the offense, called his own plays and they worked, scrambled and gained first downs, lead the team and everything else you could want minus the win but I'm not really putting this loss on Alex. The other int was just a great play... if the guy doesn't tip it I bet it was on the money to Crabtree who would have had big yardage and maybe a TD.
Lets see him do this more than one week in a row

The Problem With Alex Smith...

Two things that stood out immediately after the MNF loss to me...

1. Alex Smith had (possibly) the game of his life
2. We did a good job defensively on Drew Brees

The final numbers...

Smith 275 yds 1 TD 2 INTs in defeat
Brees 254 yds 2 TD 0 INTs in victory

Smith (at his best) was outplayed by Brees (on an off day)

The question I ask about Alex is will this guy make big plays in the Super Bowl while wearing our uniform? It's just really hard to picture that happening.

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Sep 22, 2010 at 00:30:18 ]
C

the first one, yes.

21 different QB's threw INTS this weekend, including 11 who threw 2 or more. Playing QB in the NFL is hard, idk if you guys have noticed yet or not...
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
A-.

The first int was very costly. But he showed qualities that I've been waiting to see forever.

-9fA

You mean he looked like a mediocre QB? Mediocre QBs have good or even great games once in a while. Look it up. Great QBs have bad games once in a while. It is all about consistency. Talk to me in six weeks. I will say that he has done enough to make me stop calling for his head in the next week or two. Maybe the first time ever. So that is different. He has to prove something to himself and his teammates. I think last night's game made believers out of some of his teammates. If he does not build on this, then it is just another loss.

I wasn't saying that now all our QB problems are solved and Smith is the second coming of Montana.

This thread is simply a "Rate his game" thread. Nothing more.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 22, 2010 at 05:13:12 ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

The final numbers...

The question I ask about Alex is will this guy make big plays in the Super Bowl while wearing our uniform? It's just really hard to picture that happening.

Well Brees has 3 receivers that are better than all of ours, some decent TE's and one of the best pass blocking lines in the L. Not to mention a top 3 offensive CO/head coach in sean payton. And Drew has been there 5 years now learning the same offense.
Comparing players without comparing their situations is extremely short sighted.
Originally posted by Bayerrya:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

The final numbers...

Well Brees has 3 receivers that are better than all of ours, some decent TE's and one of the best pass blocking lines in the L. Not to mention a top 3 offensive CO/head coach in sean payton. And Drew has been there 5 years now learning the same offense.
Comparing players without comparing their situations is extremely short sighted.

No....
It wasn't "Smith on his best day was outplayed by brees on his worst..."

what the f*ck people...

"The 49ers on their best LOST to the saints at their worst...even though the 49ers outplayed the saints"

The tunnel vision with which some of you look at the game is amazing. It scares me that you people are out there in the world making my coffee, pumping my gas, getting pregnant and passing on your genes...

yeesghhgh
Share 49ersWebzone