LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

I want to know why we did not go Onside Kick...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After we got it tied up, why did we not go Onside Kick?

If there EVER is a time to do so, that would be the time. And Nedney can sell the OK damn well so WTF?

I don't think Sing should lose his job over it but C'MON there was NO REASON to give them the ball back if we can give ourselves more of a chance.

~Ceadder
because it was a tied game
that would have been awesome
Originally posted by richierich:
because it was a tied game
because that would have been f**kin stupid
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
After we got it tied up, why did we not go Onside Kick?

If there EVER is a time to do so, that would be the time. And Nedney can sell the OK damn well so WTF?

I don't think Sing should lose his job over it but C'MON there was NO REASON to give them the ball back if we can give ourselves more of a chance.

~Ceadder

And if it doesn't work you would be calling for the coach's heads. No. Special team play was a "F" Plus, the defense can't let them march downthe filed with less than 2 minutes to go.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Heck no!
the more i think about this, the better of an idea it seems. even if we didn't recover the kick, the Saints would have had such a short field that we might have been able to hold them to a field goal with some time left on the clock. Maybe.

Obviously, it would have been a huge risk, and given how our D was playing, I think kicking it deep was the "right" call, but it would have been an amazing chance to take, to keep the ball out of Brees hands.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
that would have been awesome
the more i think about this, the better of an idea it seems. even if we didn't recover the kick, the Saints would have had such a short field that we might have been able to hold them to a field goal with some time left on the clock. Maybe.

Obviously, it would have been a huge risk, and given how our D was playing, I think kicking it deep was the "right" call, but it would have been an amazing chance to take, to keep the ball out of Brees hands.

what?!

I quoted your first post thinking you were being sarcastic

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 20, 2010 at 23:31:07 ]

THis team does not need gimmicks to win. It simply needs players to execute.
OMG really! That the craziest s**t I've heard in a while. The reason is that would have given the Saints the ball almost in FG range already! You have to let your defense try to make that stand! Our defense was shutting those guys down all night! Those odds are better than praying for on onside kick. I can't believe I'm reading this from a vet. Are you drunk Caedder?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Exactly. Give them the ball at OUR OWN 40 yard line? That's just stoooooopid.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

what?!

I quoted your posted thinking you were being sarcastic

-9fA

lol.

seriously: think about how awesome it would have been. With all the euphoria of having just tied the game..and then we onside kick and recover? I would have s**t my pants because of the awesomeness.
Originally posted by valrod33:

TRUTH.

SOMETIMES you can catch a team off guard and SOMETIMES you just get lucky and recover it on a prepared team, but the odds are against it. They should have been a lot more aggressive on defense instead of allowing the short sh*t to start the drive. But an onside kick is a dumb move in that situation.

If they did it and failed, the criticism would have been the nail in the coffin for Singletary. He couldn't even handle the scrutiny about Raye last week. There's no way he doesn't bury himself with the media jumping all over a dumb ass decision to go for an onside kick with a tied game, time on the clock and the opposing team having 2 timeouts.

The chance of failure is much higher than the chance of success. Everyone knows this. We onside kick and fail, the Saints gain about 15 yards and let the clock run down, then kick the same field goal they did. Same outcome. The difference? We look like morons.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 20, 2010 at 23:38:13 ]
Share 49ersWebzone