There are 204 users in the forums

Why do we suck so bad vs screen passes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
In football, every defense has strengths and weakness, you have to give up something to get something, it is in my opinion one of the best parts of watching the game. Our 3-4 Defense is by nature poor against the screen, further the cover 4 zone we put in place to stymie the Saint deep passing game, and the narrow edges we set to stop the power run game (the Saints tore up the Vikings with power running) further both weakened our ability to stop the screen.

Let me ask you this, would you rather have seen Breese pass for 400 plus yards ad a handful of TDs? Or perhaps you would like to see them hold the ball for 35-40 minutes with the power run game? All in all the screen pass is the lesser of the Saints weapons, and we were able to hold it to small gains, and force them to punt, a very good defensive game plan.

It was not the screen game of the Saints, it was the sloppiness of a poorly coached 49er team that cost lost this game. Poor execution, poor clock management, and bad special teams. These were all the same culprits that cost us games last year, I had really hoped Singletary had matured as a head coach this season and that we would not be here making the same mistakes, again. I am more that disappointed with Singletary.

Defensive Game plan A+
Offensive Game plan A (good job Jimmy Raye)
Special Teams D
Game Management D (Work Harder coach Singletary)
Attention to Detail D (Work Harder coach Singletary)

Over all a very good performance, I put this loss squarely in Singletary.
he didn't turn the ball over

Ball security is a DETAIL that COACHES teach, dropped passed, fumbled balls, and Muffed punts along the sideline! These are all DETAILS, players should know better, they need to be stressed and Coached, the Saints don't lead the league in take aways on accident, the are COACHED on those details, that sort of COACHING comes down from Sean Payton all the way through is coaching staff!

Bill Walsh never accepted this kind of sloppy play, his attention to detail showed up in every game Singletary's lack of attention to detail shows up in every game, and last night it was the difference.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
defending screen passes has nothing to do with our LBs. It has to do with our DL being too aggressive. To defend a screen, a DL must realize that he got through the line too easy, stop and back peddle, and make the play. The line of scrimmage is where the catch is usually made, so its up to the DL since the LBs are getting blown out by a bunch of OL.

Exactly.

Did anyone watch Richard Seymour when he was with the Pats? They run a read and react two gap scheme much of the time. Seymour was always in the backfield disrupting screens.

We run an aggressive one gap scheme, so the DE's don't take that second to scan the field and react to what they see. They just attack and read on the fly. Much harder to defend the screen that way.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
In football, every defense has strengths and weakness, you have to give up something to get something, it is in my opinion one of the best parts of watching the game. Our 3-4 Defense is by nature poor against the screen, further the cover 4 zone we put in place to stymie the Saint deep passing game, and the narrow edges we set to stop the power run game (the Saints tore up the Vikings with power running) further both weakened our ability to stop the screen.

Let me ask you this, would you rather have seen Breese pass for 400 plus yards ad a handful of TDs? Or perhaps you would like to see them hold the ball for 35-40 minutes with the power run game? All in all the screen pass is the lesser of the Saints weapons, and we were able to hold it to small gains, and force them to punt, a very good defensive game plan.

It was not the screen game of the Saints, it was the sloppiness of a poorly coached 49er team that cost lost this game. Poor execution, poor clock management, and bad special teams. These were all the same culprits that cost us games last year, I had really hoped Singletary had matured as a head coach this season and that we would not be here making the same mistakes, again. I am more that disappointed with Singletary.

Defensive Game plan A+
Offensive Game plan A (good job Jimmy Raye)
Special Teams D
Game Management D (Work Harder coach Singletary)
Attention to Detail D (Work Harder coach Singletary)

Over all a very good performance, I put this loss squarely in Singletary.
he didn't turn the ball over

Ball security is a DETAIL that COACHES teach, dropped passed, fumbled balls, and Muffed punts along the sideline! These are all DETAILS, players should know better, they need to be stressed and Coached, the Saints don't lead the league in take aways on accident, the are COACHED on those details, that sort of COACHING comes down from Sean Payton all the way through is coaching staff!

Bill Walsh never accepted this kind of sloppy play, his attention to detail showed up in every game Singletary's lack of attention to detail shows up in every game, and last night it was the difference.

whoever the hell coaches special teams is a joke of a coach.. our special teams is just as s**tty this year as it was last year
Originally posted by WestCoast:
because we are an aggressive defense =/
Originally posted by eric90clark:
Parys Haralson

Too bad half the screens went towards Manny Lawson last night.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by eric90clark:
Parys Haralson

Too bad half the screens went towards Manny Lawson last night.

Half? Try about 90% of them (off the top of my head).
  • Antix
  • Veteran
We're not gonna stop everything and it's better to be beat by 10-12 yard screen plays than 40 yard bombs.
Originally posted by Antix:
We're not gonna stop everything and it's better to be beat by 10-12 yard screen plays than 40 yard bombs.

feels like slowly bleeding to death, takes forever to get the ball back at this rate
I've been watching since about 6 mins in the 2nd quarter...........I already lost count of all the screen passes that KILLED the defense today.
Aggressive defenses have problems with the screen. They need to adjust after halftime.

Originally posted by znk916:

feels like slowly bleeding to death, takes forever to get the ball back at this rate

No doubt. Screens are killings us, and the little draw plays there're doing. The Chiefs are clearing out our secondary, then comes the screen or draw. They are doing this by design.
Originally posted by znk916:

Cassel isn't dropping any 40 yd bombs. Play to stop the screen.
Lack of emphasize and bad coaching. Didn't the coaches watched films, other teams uses screen to beat aggressive d.
They should pretend the game is on the line.
One thing is for sure. Its going to be a long season if things don't turn around. a loss today will would be a killer. The Falcon game will be just a tough as any we have.
Share 49ersWebzone