There are 186 users in the forums

Is Gore the niners best RB EVER??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Gore the niners best RB EVER??

I think Gore's the best 49ers runningback. He's not the passing threat that Craig and Watters were, but he's one of the best pure runners I've seen, and he still is a great pass-catcher.

Can you imagine how deadly the 49ers offenses would've been if it was Gore in the early 90s? I think he's a much better RB than Watters was.
not yet, if he keeps on this pace for 3-4 more years and we make a super bowl run, then for sure
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Ricky Waters & Roger Craig > Frank Gore

No chance Watters is better than Gore.

As for Roger Craig.. You put Gore in those offenses, where the main focus of defenses was our QB, and Gore runs wild. The only time Gore had a pretty good line, he went for 1,700 yards even though he was the main focus of defenses. Roger Craig always had a good line to work with and the attention on our Hall Of Fame QB. The same goes for Watters.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 20, 2010 at 23:51:22 ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I think Gore's the best 49ers runningback. He's not the passing threat that Craig and Watters were, but he's one of the best pure runners I've seen, and he still is a great pass-catcher.

Can you imagine how deadly the 49ers offenses would've been if it was Gore in the early 90s? I think he's a much better RB than Watters was.

I would have liked to seen Gore in those offenses with great coaching and great QB's tossing the ball to him ...... not high , not behind ....... but on the numbers. By the way this wasn't meant as a knock on Smith either.
absolutely the best ever, for fans under 20 years old.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Ricky Waters & Roger Craig > Frank Gore

No chance Watters is better than Gore.

As for Roger Craig.. You put Gore in those offenses, where the main focus of defenses was our QB, and Gore runs wild. The only time Gore had a pretty good line, he went for 1,700 yards even though he was the main focus of defenses. Roger Craig always had a good line to work with and the attention on our Hall Of Fame QB. The same goes for Watters.

i dunno...thats like askin if he's better than westbrook. it's all relative - to their roles that is
(hearst/gore) (craig/watters/westbrook)
Originally posted by jed_york:

Perfect example of someone living in the past.

Roger Craig is really the only other guy who can be chosen as best 49er RB. Gore is the biggest running threat and he's more than good as a receiver. The offenses of Walsh were far better and used our RBs in the passing game a lot more than we do now. If Gore isn't the best 49er RB of all time, it's debatable.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 20, 2010 at 23:59:05 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
By far.

Roger Craig is really the only other guy who can be chosen as best 49er RB. Gore is the biggest running threat and he's more than good as a receiver. The offenses of Walsh were far better and used our RBs in the passing game a lot more than we do now. If Gore isn't the best 49er RB of all time, it's debatable.

ok may be under 25 years old

No love for Hearst?

Jed's point was well made though.

I think Gore is the best pure RB that they've had. The vision he has is not something that many backs have. He sees things that are just not noticed by many. I think Hearst is #2, and Roger is #3. Now I love me some Roger Craig, but I think Frank has proven how great he is, all the while playing behind mostly an inferior O-line and offensive system.

And I'm not going to get into the old school guys from the Million Dollar Backfield days. Not only did I never see them play, but that was a different game in a different time.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Hearst was better....by a fair bit. Take away the injury, and Hearst might have been greatest in Niner history. There's a good argument that Hearst really was (if you don't count OJ).

During the 1998 season, Hearst had a stretch of 4 straight games where he had a run of 70 yards or greater.

Anyone remember the OT run (96 yards) against the Jets?

Really think Gore could have pulled off that run? Hearst was just as strong, but quite a bit faster than Gore.

[ Edited by kray28 on Sep 21, 2010 at 01:04:37 ]
Originally posted by English:

No love for Hearst?

Jed's point was well made though.

Hearst ran behind some very good offensive lines, they even made Barlow look good
Originally posted by kray28:
Hearst was better....by a fair bit. Take away the injury, and Hearst might have been greatest in Niner history. There's a good argument that Hearst really was (if you don't count OJ).

Hearst was awesome, but if you're talking injury, you can't over look Franks 2 blown knees before he ever stepped foot in the league.
double bubble

[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Sep 21, 2010 at 01:17:20 ]
Share 49ersWebzone