LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

ALEX SMITH FOR QUARTERBACK!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
If Gore doesnt throw one hand out and tips it, at worse its INC.

I knew somebody would make a sorry attempt at blaming Gore for that INT instead of Alex. If Alex threw it accurately, there would either be a catch or a drop, but no INT. That was Alex's fault. Gore was wide open.
Originally posted by Afghan49er:
he put us in a bad position with his interception in the first quarter...that was on him and not on gore.

he killed another drive by throwing it low, yes i kno it got knocked up in the air, but sheeesh, that was a total game killer right there.

ultimately the muffed punt killed us, but imagine wut the score would be minus those interceptions.

People who don't understand football shouldn't speak about our QB the way that you are doing here. If you watched the play on the 2nd int our left guard blocked his guy in to the passing lane. If that didn't happen that would have hit Crabtree in stride and could've gone for a TD. I'm sure you won't understand what I'm saying but at least you'll know not to speak of such things ever again. At least I hope you won't.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I knew somebody would make a sorry attempt at blaming Gore for that INT instead of Alex. If Alex threw it accurately, there would either be a catch or a drop, but no INT. That was Alex's fault. Gore was wide open.

agreed. i think Alex had a great game, but that was a terrible pass, and all his fault.
He looked fantastic on 2 drives, awful on the first INT, mediocre the rest of the game.

They moved the ball well on almost every possession. Smith looked good on more than 2 drives... you are reaching.

No reason a close range pass should have the receiver extending like that

But smith got it together, don't think any other qb on our roster could have played like that, I was surprised he didn't buckle
Originally posted by HessianDud:

agreed. i think Alex had a great game, but that was a terrible pass, and all his fault.

Thing is that was a bad pass, but it was a bad pass that would normally just be an incompletion. Gore did nothing wrong, but it really was bad luck that it was picked.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

No reason a close range pass should have the receiver extending like that

But smith got it together, don't think any other qb on our roster could have played like that, I was surprised he didn't buckle

and it was a throw when he had the rush bearing down on him.
If you put this game on Alex then . . . I'll avoid the warning.

The kid played well.

He grew a pair. On national television.

If you put this on #11, then , , , ,
Anyone notice the difference in play calling? When Alex was running the team out of shotgun, channeling his talent and his emotion, they f**king rolled.

Under center, and in the i-formation, he had absolutely no time to make reads with those edge blitzes and either had the option of a quick check down, sending it to Gore, or rolling out and passing out of bounds.

Vernon Davis and Crabtree had some key drops. Blame Crabtree more so than Davis; Davis was about to get pummeled, Crabtree was practically sitting down.

If the special teams would have played par and we wouldn't have gave them the field goal at the end of the game, we would have beat the defending Super Bowl champions, and Alex Smith would have been integral. Those interceptions weren't bulls**t misreads, or over/underthrows, they were tipped passes and bad luck.

I'm sorry but this team will not thrive with Gore pounding the ball between the tackles; unless this team plays exceptional mistake free football (not under this current coaching staff, coach with no X/Os, obviously hasn't studied the NFL rules and timeout handbooks, and the OC is barely functional) we get incredibly stout defensive play (WITH turnovers) and without the completely bonehead and inept special teams (a f**king fullback and bottom of the barrel draft pick returning kicks?).

Alex Smith made mistakes, but he's shown a definite amount of improvement, and more so than I can say about other aspects of this football team.

[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Sep 20, 2010 at 22:34:59 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
He outplayed Brees but Brees got the ball last.

A rare disagreement.

Brees did not turn the ball over. Period.

Alex through two killing picks and was almost responsible for a third.

In my book? Brees wins this matchup.

Originally posted by billbird2111:

A rare disagreement.

Brees is lucky he didnt have a few picks himself. Some of those passes he threw were waaaay off.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
He looked fantastic on 2 drives, awful on the first INT, mediocre the rest of the game.

They moved the ball well on almost every possession. Smith looked good on more than 2 drives... you are reaching.

Yes, yes and yes.

But he also turned the ball over twice.

Look -- I hear what you're saying. I really do. But hear me as well. An NFL QB cannot continue to turn the ball over like this. No -- no more excuses please. This is becoming a regular scene for Alex Smith. He plays well -- then gives up a boneheaded pick. We've seen this time and again. It has to stop.

It hasn't. I don't know if it ever will.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by billbird2111:

A rare disagreement.

Brees is lucky he didnt have a few picks himself. Some of those passes he threw were waaaay off.

Way off -- but not batted up in the air where an opponent was/is waiting.

I'll agree that Alex Smith has some of the worst luck on this planet.

But it's more than just bad luck.

We've seen this before. As good as he played -- and I'll admit he ASTONISHED ME at times -- he still threw two very killer picks.

You just can't continue to do that. I'm sorry -- there are no more excuses. He simply cannot continue to throw passes that either get picked or bounce off someone else and get picked.
Share 49ersWebzone