LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Punt Returns

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by fly15:
Westbrook

Returning punts is too dangerous for Westbrook with his concussion history. I don't think that would be a great idea.

With all due respect, if we are worried about Westbrook getting hurt, perhaps we should just cut him. This is football...

I think it's a solid idea, especially in light of what we just saw.
Rules in returning a punt:

1. Do not attempt to return a punt when inside your own 10. Call fair catch, move towards the 20 to draw the gunners and hope the ball goes into the endzone.

2. Do not attempt to return a punt on the sidelines, especially when your momentum carries you out of bounds.

3. Do not attempt to return a punt when the gunner is within 5 yards. Call fair catch and catch the ball.

4. Only return the punt when the ball is in front of you and the gunners are 10 yards away so that you can get a running start.

Am I missing anything else?

This is NOT COMPLICATED!!!!!
Baas, Walker, and Adams lost this game.
I don't get what is so difficult about making the logical decision to let that s**t bounce. Catching that s**t and then walking out of bounds = nothing. Let that s**t bounce wtf do you have a brain in there?
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by fly15:
Westbrook

Returning punts is too dangerous for Westbrook with his concussion history. I don't think that would be a great idea.

Well the guy still wants to play football and we can't really even get him on the field (except for wildcat WTF was that play about anyway?!?!). Let him contribute in some way by returning punts. He's got sure hands, is healthy and probably still fast... and meanwhile we are still blowing big games with special teams. Adams has the skills, but he is clearly confused out there.
Our punt coverage wasn't that great either.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

I don't think it was the coverage. It was Andy Lee. He out punted the coverage and allowed Bush to make that big return. Lee needs to get better hangtime on that instead of out kicking his coverage.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

I don't think it was the coverage. It was Andy Lee. He out punted the coverage and allowed Bush to make that big return. Lee needs to get better hangtime on that instead of out kicking his coverage.

True, it wasn't one of Lee's best games. The best thing i saw on coverage was when Taylor Mays didn't over pursuit* R. Bush. That being said, our coverage on kickoffs wasn't that great either.
A reliable return man is VERY underrated by this organization. Hopefully K.Williams can give us what we need back there.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
A reliable return man is VERY underrated by this organization. Hopefully K.Williams can give us what we need back there.

Adams almost broke his first PR, but yeah Williams and Ginn need to get well soon
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Adams almost broke his first PR, but yeah Williams and Ginn need to get well soon

When are either Ginn or Williams due back?
Originally posted by DrofThuganomics:
I want to know why our tight end is returning kickoffs, I don't think Walker took it past the 20 once.

Out of all the speed we have on the team they can't find anyone better than Walker who coughed one up this game, so what makes him so special taking it out of the endzone?

He doesn't turn the ball over....

Oh, wait...

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:

When are either Ginn or Williams due back?

I think Ginn is gonna be out another week and Williams should be back, I would think.
why couldn't we just have kept Michael Spurlock last year
Share 49ersWebzone