There are 232 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Best Performance Ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith's Best Performance Ever?

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
It wasn't Alex's best performance statistically obviously. That said, this was the FIRST time where I finished watching the game feeling confident in Alex leading us.

I think many fans feel the same way. This was a new Alex Smith in terms of leadership, and a guy who (like Steve Young said tonight) who decided, "enough is enough."

He was dripping with confidence and emotion, and although that second tipped-interception was bad... his reaction was a thing of beauty (he pumped his fist in anger and was almost close to pulling a Brandon Jacobs with his helmet on the sideline).

Smith was in complete command of that line with the extra time/advantages of the 'wristband' system. Al was calling audibles/making adjustments and TAKING HUGE SHOTS DOWN FIELD, even when we were still up by 5 points in the second quarter.
Originally posted by WINiner:
This poll is a joke......

Niner fans dissapoint me.

Smith puts up stats, but still loses the game for us and he is cheered. Meanwhile the guy who didn't put up the huge stats won.

I agree.

It was Alex's fault that Baas snapped the ball over his head and that the saints scored a TD on the ensuing drive.

It was Alex's fault that Delanie Walker didn't secure the ball in the red zone.

It was Alex's fault that Philip Adams muffed that punt.

It was Alex's fault that we couldn't recover the ball on Bush's muffed punt.

Etc.
Originally posted by craigyboy:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Alex played a great one tonight we were beat by the champs tonight keep your heads up nothing wrong with that......

Word.

Shut this sucka down.

What the hell, I say lets lose all our games from here on out because; "There is nothing wrong with that."

I'm just not getting this attitude, the acceptance.

The Saints are the best team in the NFL. We were expected to lose. We weren't expected to look good in a loss, however.

The acceptance is there because the Saints are a powerhouse team. We don't have any team harder than them remaining on the schedule. Because of that, things are looking up. Now, every single game on the schedule looks winnable as opposed to last week, when every team on the schedule seemed to have a shot at beating us.

if the the saints are truly the best team then why are people assuming we go 0-4 after kc & atl when this game went to the wire?

You'll have to ask them. We might lose to the Falcons, but we should beat the Chiefs. After that, it looks like a nice winning streak to me.
Originally posted by domingo360:

Smith puts up stats, but still loses the game for us and he is cheered. Meanwhile the guy who didn't put up the huge stats won.

I agree.

It was Alex's fault that Baas snapped the ball over his head and that the saints scored a TD on the ensuing drive.

Etc.

Lol.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Yeah and we won the game??? Oh wait he threw 2 picks (one of which was partly his fault cuz he sucks at recognizing blitzes and then overthrew Gore). If it wasn't for Frank Gore this offense would be in deeeeeep trouble. We need a QB cuz we don't have one. Any one who thinks we have one is drinking tainted Kool-Aid again. We're 0-2 for a reason, at least this time 2 other Niners turned the ball over and screwed us up big time. I mind as well stop watching Niner games cuz they just piss me off and justifiably so, we got all this talent except at the most the important position. Bring Joe Cool out of retirement put in Troy Smith I don't care this is gone far beyond embarrassing.

BOTH were tipped in case you weren't paying attention. I saw the whole game via Veetle on my 8.1" NETBOOK and I saw it. Did you see the unblocked Defender reach his hand out and tip the Pass as it came out of Smith's hand?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by dj43:
Alex played a great one tonight we were beat by the champs tonight keep your heads up nothing wrong with that......

Word.

Shut this sucka down.

What the hell, I say lets lose all our games from here on out because; "There is nothing wrong with that."

I think you are confusing acceptance with an appreciation for the vastly improved performance by Alex Smith. They are not mutally exclusive.

A loss is a loss, and I can not accept that even if Smith played an improved game.

I certainly appreciate the fact it was a much tighter loss than last week because in the 1stQ it looked like it was going to go from very bad to atrociously horrid.

However with Arrowhead & the Falcons on the horizon, how many more losses will it take to see losing for what it is?

Never the less - GO NINERS!

I don't accept the Loss. But I have to say that it was generally accepted that we were GOING to Lose this game.

MANY Zoners even thought it would be a blowout loss based on last weeks showing.

So while I hate that we lost, I'll accept that Smith took this team by their throat and performed like he gives a shat.

Isn't that what all of you wanted too?

This was a game we were not supposed to Win, but we came DAMN CLOSE. Now we're at the point where anything less than this level of play from our QB for the rest of the season is unacceptable and that to me matters more than anything else. Besides a Win of course.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Yeah and we won the game??? Oh wait he threw 2 picks (one of which was partly his fault cuz he sucks at recognizing blitzes and then overthrew Gore). If it wasn't for Frank Gore this offense would be in deeeeeep trouble. We need a QB cuz we don't have one. Any one who thinks we have one is drinking tainted Kool-Aid again. We're 0-2 for a reason, at least this time 2 other Niners turned the ball over and screwed us up big time. I mind as well stop watching Niner games cuz they just piss me off and justifiably so, we got all this talent except at the most the important position. Bring Joe Cool out of retirement put in Troy Smith I don't care this is gone far beyond embarrassing.

BOTH were tipped in case you weren't paying attention. I saw the whole game via Veetle on my 8.1" NETBOOK and I saw it. Did you see the unblocked Defender reach his hand out and tip the Pass as it came out of Smith's hand?

~Ceadder

The first one was party on him cuz he didn't recognize the corner blitz, and then over threw Gore, and the 2nd was all his fault cuz he had Crabtree if he would of put it over the LB, but even though a Drew Brees who is supposed to be a midget compared to NFL QB's can shoot it over defenders, Alex can't. He had 2 drives worth talking about, the rest were all Gore infused, with Alex's passing being check downs and screens. Best performance ever, even if it is what the hell is that saying? He has 1 300 yard game and that was a loss against a bad secondary, gosh we needed to move on 2 years ago let alone this year and were paying for it with each passing second.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by domingo360:

I agree.

Etc.

Lol.

~Ceadder

The first one was party on him cuz he didn't recognize the corner blitz, and then over threw Gore, and the 2nd was all his fault cuz he had Crabtree if he would of put it over the LB, but even though a Drew Brees who is supposed to be a midget compared to NFL QB's can shoot it over defenders, Alex can't. He had 2 drives worth talking about, the rest were all Gore infused, with Alex's passing being check downs and screens. Best performance ever, even if it is what the hell is that saying? He has 1 300 yard game and that was a loss against a bad secondary, gosh we needed to move on 2 years ago let alone this year and were paying for it with each passing second.

Dude, you're confused.

The first one was all Alex Smith's fault. He overthrew Gore, no excuses. The 2nd one, however, was not. I'll accept your argument that he is partly to blame for the second one, though. He should have known the LB would put his hands up to clog the passing lane. I don't completely blame him for that because it was a hot read. He snapped it and immediately went to Crabtree on the slant, not giving much time to think about a player getting their hands up and into the passing lane.

You've got the blame game backwards.

~Ceadder

Dude, you're confused.

The first one was all Alex Smith's fault. He overthrew Gore, no excuses. The 2nd one, however, was not. I'll accept your argument that he is partly to blame for the second one, though. He should have known the LB would put his hands up to clog the passing lane. I don't completely blame him for that because it was a hot read. He snapped it and immediately went to Crabtree on the slant, not giving much time to think about a player getting their hands up and into the passing lane.

You've got the blame game backwards.

I say partly on the first cuz Gore knocked it towards the defender, so the pass was bad, but the INT wasn't completely Alex's fault. The 2nd one he could of gotten to Crabtree he just got happen cuz he knew he had him open, but for whatever reason didn't see the LB, he could and should of gotten it to Crabtree and certainly should not of thrown another drive killing INT.

I think the thing that is the most encouraging is that in the past Alex would get rattled, or feel pressure, or throw an interception and then everything would crumble quickly. It was a toilet bowl effect to which he couldn't escape. Things just got worst and worst.

This is the first time that I can remember Alex going through early mistakes but it didn't rattle him. He'd throw a pic that was tipped at the line only to get pissed off and then come back even more determined then next drive.

I hope that he and the rest of the offense can build on this for the next game. I think that even the rest of his teammates seemed to be in Alex's corner legitimately, not just as a "let's say good things about Alex to boost his confidence," but they actually have got Alex's back for the first time.

Barrow's article w/ Goldson's and VD's comments on Alex
Hey look, another thread over analyzing Alex Smith's play...
- Yes.

- However, this is his "ceiling" and he still sucks.
Anybody else spot Alex Smith leading the rally huddle with Vernon Davis before the coin flip? Dude's living up to that C on his chest.
Originally posted by craigyboy:

Word.

Shut this sucka down.

The Saints are the best team in the NFL. We were expected to lose. We weren't expected to look good in a loss, however.

The acceptance is there because the Saints are a powerhouse team. We don't have any team harder than them remaining on the schedule. Because of that, things are looking up. Now, every single game on the schedule looks winnable as opposed to last week, when every team on the schedule seemed to have a shot at beating us.

if the the saints are truly the best team then why are people assuming we go 0-4 after kc & atl when this game went to the wire?

You'll have to ask them. We might lose to the Falcons, but we should beat the Chiefs. After that, it looks like a nice winning streak to me.

that was more rhetorical bro. then again, we just showed the whole nation a significant improvement from last week...assuming we continue to build on the brainfarts whats to stop us from competing with atl? in fact, it's obvious now last week was a fluke...if we'd won that game and played the champs like we did tonite howdya think the falcons along the the rest of the league would view us?
Share 49ersWebzone