LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Then and Now... how sad is this? :-(

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
this is seriously the most pathetic thread in Niner Talk.

I'm frustrated with losing, too. But sitting around and whining because we're not the team we were in the '80s and '90s is just stupid and sad. No s**t we're not the same team. We were one of the greatest teams ever. You think that can really last forever? s**t happens.

And you know what: were were terrible and/or mediocre for all our years leading up to the first super bowl. So where does this sense of entitlement come from? Sports teams go through cycles of success and failure. That's sports, and that's life. GET OVER IT.

do you think if Google made some really bad decisions and completely lost their stranglehold on the marketplace and went from hero to zero, that their CEO would give this kind of "it was fun while it lasted, we suck now, accept it and get over it" type speech that you are giving right now? I'm sorry, I respect your right to embrace complacency, but I don't agree with it. Demanding excellence is not hating, it is a winning attitude with winning expectations, a world where excuses don't exist. I couldn't possibly see a Vince Lombardi agreeing with your statements, not in a million years.

who said I'm being complacent? I want us to win as badly as anybody else here does. I'm only pointing out how pathetic it is to sit around whining that we don't have Joe Montana and Steve Young anymore. You know how ridiculous it was that we had back-to-back HOF QB's? That doesn't just happen. We were damn f**king lucky as fans, we were "blessed" to have the best organization in football. But people retire, things change, some of it is a matter of course, and some of it is bad luck, league intervention, whatever. So I'm not sure what the sentiment expressed in this thread is supposed to accomplish.

Of course we should criticize and question the bad decisions of this organization. And its fine to look back and analyze the reasons why things changed in this organization. But starting a thread pointing out "how sad you are" that we're not the team of the '80's and '90's is just really lame and pointless to me.

Besides, last I checked, we still have only played one game this season.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Feel free to add your own pics as well

Then:

Now:

There are some positives though:

If you live in the pass Shaj, you will always be unhappy, unsatisfied. Understand that, that was then and this is now. No need to share memories of Joe and Steve because everyone here is very well aware of what we had then and what we have now. All it does is get you pissed thinking about it.

Can't enjoy the season in that mind-set because all you'll ever see is lack. Might as well not watch this season in that frame of mind.

IMO

I said the pretty much the same thing in another thread. If you want to see negativity then all you will see is negativity.

I'm frustrated with losing, too. But sitting around and whining because we're not the team we were in the '80s and '90s is just stupid and sad. No s**t we're not the same team. We were one of the greatest teams ever. You think that can really last forever? s**t happens.

And you know what: were were terrible and/or mediocre for all our years leading up to the first super bowl. So where does this sense of entitlement come from? Sports teams go through cycles of success and failure. That's sports, and that's life. GET OVER IT.

do you think if Google made some really bad decisions and completely lost their stranglehold on the marketplace and went from hero to zero, that their CEO would give this kind of "it was fun while it lasted, we suck now, accept it and get over it" type speech that you are giving right now? I'm sorry, I respect your right to embrace complacency, but I don't agree with it. Demanding excellence is not hating, it is a winning attitude with winning expectations, a world where excuses don't exist. I couldn't possibly see a Vince Lombardi agreeing with your statements, not in a million years.

No one is accepting anything and who's embracing complacency Shaj? You say you're demanding excellence? With all due respect Shaj, your post, like the majority of all VENT post are not DEMANDING anything, It's just venting, b***hing and griping and we've all done it. What are we demanding, more importantly, who are we demanding to: ObePwnD, danimal, Ceadder, Maddog the Mods etc... in a nut shell you, we, are venting to NT, nothing more.

I, like everyone here want to win and I am sick and tire of saying, "Well maybe next season". Shaj, I religiously listen to Sirius NFL Radio where people voice their displeasure on a daily basis about there team all day on nation airwaves. The thing is, I never hear any Niner Fans call in voicing any of the things I constantly hear on NT.
Has anyone ever wrote management or Demanded anything of the team on local radio or TV channels? I doubt it. Your demands have a better chance of being heard in that format Shaj.

Once again, JMO.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

No one is accepting anything and who's embracing complacency Shaj? You say you're demanding excellence? With all due respect Shaj, your post, like the majority of all VENT post are not DEMANDING anything, It's just venting, b***hing and griping and we've all done it. What are we demanding, more importantly, who are we demanding to: ObePwnD, danimal, Ceadder, Maddog the Mods etc... in a nut shell you, we, are venting to NT, nothing more.

I, like everyone here want to win and I am sick and tire of saying, "Well maybe next season". Shaj, I religiously listen to Sirius NFL Radio where people voice their displeasure on a daily basis about there team all day on nation airwaves. The thing is, I never hear any Niner Fans call in voicing any of the things I constantly hear on NT.
Has anyone ever wrote management or Demanded anything of the team on local radio or TV channels? I doubt it. Your demands have a better chance of being heard in that format Shaj.

Once again, JMO.

fair comments and response from both you and Hessian. I know I'm being an ass, but it's for a reason. I think we as a fan base have to be willing to stand up at times and say "this is not ok". I'm just bewildered that we have been willing to wait 5 years to say that in the most important position in our franchise, and we're still standing around and talking about "let's wait and see what happens this year." It just frustrates me, that's all. What you perceive as venting is me vocalizing that I don't accept perennial ineptness at focal positions in this franchise.

p.s. you made a good comment about calling into sirius.

[ Edited by Shaj on Sep 19, 2010 at 21:30:41 ]

Has anyone ever wrote management or Demanded anything of the team on local radio or TV channels? I doubt it.
Your demands have a better chance of being heard in that format Shaj.

Once again, JMO.

You sir hit the nail on its head, happy fans do not complain to satellite radio.

This validates that ownership strategy is working, ie Having a long term plan and manly media scolding head coaches. This combination keeps majority of fans entertained and happy.

there will always be some vocal minority, but past history indicated that even those can be converted by extraordinary motivational acts from the faces of our franchise, such as first to wear a suits or pulling down pants in public.

It's all good.

[ Edited by jed_york on Sep 19, 2010 at 22:47:10 ]
Share 49ersWebzone