LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

"I've never had a TE that runs like Greg Olsen" - Mike Martz

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by smifunk:
This is from the same guy that said JT O'Sullivan was the best QB he's ever worked with....

He also said Alex was the most talented QB he had ever worked with.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Bears/Cowboys game on right now in the bay area and Troy Aikman said Mike Martz told him that he's never had a tight end run like Greg Olsen. Wow...Mike Martz had Vernon Davis for a year, the fastest tight end in football. I really hope he meant Olsen's route running, but I doubt it since that comment was made on Olsen's short catch and long TD run up the middle of the field.

I am just floored by that comment from Martz.

This may be blasphemy on this board, but Davis is not a shifty runner. He gets tackled easily too. VD is a great player, but he is not dominant. Maybe if he had a better QB, but let's not assume that every coach has to think that Davis is the best they have ever coached.

A debate can be had by what he meant by "runs," but I interpreted that to mean speed, but yes he could have meant shiftiness in a tight end except that comment was made when Olsen took a short pass and ran 35 yd down the field.

We saw what Vernon can do last year and the fact Martz never used him at all was weird.

Gotcha. If the comment was about straight ahead speed, clearly Martz is nuts. Do you agree that VD is easy to tackle? It is kind of odd considering his physicality.
PRO BOWL!
Originally posted by Ajanke:
God Tony Romo makes Alex Smith look like he is in Peewee football
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
...and JTO was the best QB that he ever coached.

Martz talks out of his ass. A lot.

yeah.

and 30 other starting qbs
Coaches say that everywhere they go. So what? He just wants to build up his guy. It happens all the time all around the NFL.
This Mike being Mike. Dont you remember when he said JTO was the most talent QBZ he coached (something like ).
Maybe it has to do with him never seeing VD run BECAUSE HE ALWAYS HAD HIM BLOCK!
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Yeah, Romo would never through behind his main receiver and cause an INT.

Oh.....WAIT.....

Who cares what Martz says anymore? The dude is the most overrated "offensive" coach in the NFL. He had 4 sure hall of famers with the Lambs, damn near 5, if you count Holt, and hasn't done squat since then. All he does is lose and get QB's annihilated. Weekly. Remember, he was fired from SL, Detroit, AND SF. Not exactly "winning" teams, you know.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
BFD, that is nothing but coach speak. Do you think he would go tell his players they all suck, and they are the worst bunch he has ever coached? He is just building up his players. Would you guys rather have Martz or Raye?

Looks like Martz isn't the only one talking out his ass.
Share 49ersWebzone