Epic Singletary interview w/ KPIX' Dennis O' Donnell.... disappears

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
It was sad for me to see Singletary lose his composure and become childish so quickly. BW grew short tempered with reporters too but that was closer to the end of his coaching career.

Reporters were a lot more respectful of boundries when Coach Walsh was the man in charge. He also had a great sense of humor. Not saying that Sing doesn't have a sense of humor but it's rare for reporters today to treat a story with respect. I wouldn't doubt Cole is FoS, so I could see why Sing's nose would be bent out of joint over this story.

Actually the opposite is true....the Bay Area media in the 90s was a lot more objective and questioning than the lapdogs you have now.

The media then wasn't nearly as afraid to ask tough questions when they needed to be asked. And for his part Walsh was a thoughtful and civil enough individual to be able to handle any such tough questions with poise and dignity.

Dude wait, what?

~Ceadder

Maybe I've been around as a fan a lot longer than you. I remember Ira Miller, Ray Ratto and Glenn Dickey. How do they compare to the writers now?
Originally posted by katzmando:
In my humble opinion. Singeltary (based on his comments) has set himself up to be fired immediately. If they do not perform well against New Orleans or if they in fact DO NOT STOP THE SAINTS, then I would fire/replace him with Jon Gruden immediately. His act is wearing very thin. I want a coach that his holding more than a stopwatch on the sidelines. I want a coach who can call plays if needs to. Singletary could be an excellent coach if he had great Coordinators. He doesn't...so he can't be awarded that luxury.

This offensive coaching problem needs to be fixed for the long term. HIRE JON GRUDEN.

What makes you think Gruden would even want to come to SF?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
If that's melting down, I'm all for it. Can't believe that Chronicle is reporting as a meltdown.

Denny Green could only hope he melted down in such a reasonable fashion.

Still, Sing was right. Calling him "Dingleberry" only makes you look like a dick. He wanted to talk about New Orleans and that's what he was there to do. O'Donell kept trying to start shat. Sing made him look foolish.

Now clean it up man, you don't have to like Sing but at least show him the respect he's due. I mean damn dude his inner player was out in full force. You never in your life heard a Head Coach say we WILL run the ball, we WILL stop so and so and we WILL win. Win or lose I got Sing's back.

~Ceadder

How does he deserve anyone's respect? As a player yes, but as a coach no. Last time I checked he doesn't play anymore. As a head coach he is in completely over his head. He isn't progressing at all, he is going backwards, that shows he has zero common sense. He starts looking more foolish and stupid by the day. The guy is a disgrace, and needs to step down while he still has some dignity left.

[ Edited by BobS on Sep 19, 2010 at 17:21:02 ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
It was sad for me to see Singletary lose his composure and become childish so quickly. BW grew short tempered with reporters too but that was closer to the end of his coaching career.

Reporters were a lot more respectful of boundries when Coach Walsh was the man in charge. He also had a great sense of humor. Not saying that Sing doesn't have a sense of humor but it's rare for reporters today to treat a story with respect. I wouldn't doubt Cole is FoS, so I could see why Sing's nose would be bent out of joint over this story.

Actually the opposite is true....the Bay Area media in the 90s was a lot more objective and questioning than the lapdogs you have now.

The media then wasn't nearly as afraid to ask tough questions when they needed to be asked. And for his part Walsh was a thoughtful and civil enough individual to be able to handle any such tough questions with poise and dignity.

Dude wait, what?

~Ceadder

Maybe I've been around as a fan a lot longer than you. I remember Ira Miller, Ray Ratto and Glenn Dickey. How do they compare to the writers now?

you think too much, read too much
you are the statistic, perspective, intellectual type
you are not the few brews then go niners type

as our great coach singletary would have said:

"you know what? you ain't fit to be our fan, next question."

[ Edited by jed_york on Sep 19, 2010 at 19:09:52 ]
Originally posted by BobS:
If that's melting down, I'm all for it. Can't believe that Chronicle is reporting as a meltdown.

Still, Sing was right. Calling him "Dingleberry" only makes you look like a dick. He wanted to talk about New Orleans and that's what he was there to do. O'Donell kept trying to start shat. Sing made him look foolish.

Now clean it up man, you don't have to like Sing but at least show him the respect he's due. I mean damn dude his inner player was out in full force. You never in your life heard a Head Coach say we WILL run the ball, we WILL stop so and so and we WILL win. Win or lose I got Sing's back.

~Ceadder

How does he deserve anyone's respect? As a player yes, but as a coach no. Last time I checked he doesn't play anymore. As a head coach he is in completely over his head. He isn't progressing at all, he is going backwards, that shows he has zero common sense. He starts looking more foolish and stupid by the day. The guy is a disgrace, and needs to step down while he still has some dignity left.

I dunno about all that...He got a little emotional and said some things that probably weren't very smart. But he has shown he can adapt. He changed our entire offensive philosophy around alex smith last year, and so far it's looking like the draft class that he helped to scout for will be a pretty good one. Just saying he isn't completely worthless as a coach.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I hope the players helps him back it up.

~Ceadder

Just by his comments. He is 13-13 (.500) which is decent. But this reminds me of when Smith and Nolan went back and forth over his shoulder. . . We are in denile and imploding and no one wants to admit it.

Sing will be fired Mid-Season or his "inner player" will come out and he will quit.

*Disclaimer: That is unless he comes to his wits and cans Smith. Smith is a coach killer. Ask Nolan. . . .
Originally posted by Deodato:

~Ceadder

Just by his comments. He is 13-13 (.500) which is decent. But this reminds me of when Smith and Nolan went back and forth over his shoulder. . . We are in denile and imploding and no one wants to admit it.

Sing will be fired Mid-Season or his "inner player" will come out and he will quit.

*Disclaimer: That is unless he comes to his wits and cans Smith. Smith is a coach killer. Ask Nolan. . . .

that's true. Nolan had a really decent record when Smith didn't play.
Once again, Singletary comes off as unprofessional and acts like a baby during the course of the interview. Hey Sing, if you went up to Seattle prepared to coach a football game, this issue would have never happened.

You were outcoached and outplayed, so suck it up and take the questions like a man. Sing comes off like a grade-A clown and kind of a bully.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
You guys are silly thinking this interview was a meltdown. There has been way worse "coach meltdowns" in the past. I stand behind Sing whether he succeeds or gets fired. Admit it, before him we had a coach who no one respected and once Singletary was hired, all the players went to war for him.

I've watched this no less than three times and have yet to see how it qualifies as a "meltdown." The man merely spoke his mind, and it was not unlike how he normally acts.
This will all be forgotten if we win tonight
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
This will all be forgotten when we win tonight

fixed that for you
Originally posted by titan:
I hope the players helps him back it up.

they better or sing is quickly going to talk himself out of a job
I barely post on Niner talk but here i go ..

Was it a Meltdown? Nah not really. but what it did do is open some eyes. The entire Organization was not prepared to play that evening.. everyone from Coaches to players alike. Singletary acted as though it was just the players and yes he could give one heck of a speech and let them have it.. but at the same time he should be yelling at himself as well.. HE FAILED as a coach. Lack of preperation perhaps? It was clear Pete Carrol out coached him. Realisticly it doesnt mean we will be going 2-14. However it does show he is way over his head when becoming a head coach. Motivational speeches can only take you so far. X's and O's are important. And if indeed this Yahoo article is true, he should be mad at himself for not nipping it in the butt the first time the players complained about it. Its a business and if your OC isnt getting the plays out then that is a big issue. Those things should be second nature to someone like Jimmy Raye, and if Jimmy cant handle that then he must be let go. Singletary might be a nice Scout or perhaps a nice Assistant head coach but to run a team and be the head honcho .. he lacks knowledge of the X's and O's. In a perfect world i would say go hire someone like John Gruden ... but alas that is but a dream.

my 2 cents
-DW
Share 49ersWebzone