LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

ESPN: 49ers system can put QB in a bind

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
This is my biggest pet peeve about the current Niner coaching staff ... One way or another, they do not put our Offense in a position to succeed. Ignoring our offensive line situation for years; lack of playmakers; bad play calling; revolving door of OC and list goes on... And now our freaking Coordinator is having issues communicating his plays in a timely manner? I don't care who your QB is... We need a coaching staff that will out prepare, think outside out the box, and put their players in a postion win ... Raye and Singletary are over matched and I'm scared they will always but nothing but big talkers and can't back up what they say

Sadly, this is the crux of the matter. Failing to get the plays in on time is just a symptom. The real problem is that ever since Mike Nolan got here in 2005, our Offense has been a complete fuster cluck and there's still no end in sight. Year after year we watch other teams come in with a better game plan. Year after year we watch our team get out-coached. They talk about toughness and discipline... and the team goes into Seattle and crumbles under adversity. They talk about the power running game... and we finished 25th in the league in rushing. They talk about a dominating O-line... and we still can't get a yard when we need one.
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Teams running the digit system on offense generally suffer from more delay penalties because it takes longer for their coaches to communicate the plays. The 49ers, San Diego Chargers, Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders lead the NFL in quarterback delay penalties since 2005. All have run digit-system offenses some or most of the time since the 2005 season.

all you need to read about this article

this is also nice:

We can criticize Smith on several fronts, but his intelligence and memory aren't in question here. Smith might be the smartest person in the organization other than executive Paraag Marathe, who has an MBA from Stanford . Smith's ability to process basic play information isn't the culprit.

then he should have no trouble calling his own plays

kind of hard to call your own play when you dont have time to call it, isnt it?

Dude, you lost me there: Why won't you have time when you're the one calling your own play? Jimmy Raye is out of the equation here... which means that you WILL have time.

ads made the assertion that if alex smith was so smart, he'd be able to call his own play and run it. i pointed out that if alex was trying to figure out what raye was radioing in on a fourth and one, he'd probably wouldnt have time to call his own play and make the necessary adjustments on the line

Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Teams running the digit system on offense generally suffer from more delay penalties because it takes longer for their coaches to communicate the plays. The 49ers, San Diego Chargers, Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders lead the NFL in quarterback delay penalties since 2005. All have run digit-system offenses some or most of the time since the 2005 season.

this is also nice:

We can criticize Smith on several fronts, but his intelligence and memory aren't in question here. Smith might be the smartest person in the organization other than executive Paraag Marathe, who has an MBA from Stanford . Smith's ability to process basic play information isn't the culprit.

Dude, you lost me there: Why won't you have time when you're the one calling your own play? Jimmy Raye is out of the equation here... which means that you WILL have time.

ads made the assertion that if alex smith was so smart, he'd be able to call his own play and run it. i pointed out that if alex was trying to figure out what raye was radioing in on a fourth and one, he'd probably wouldnt have time to call his own play and make the necessary adjustments on the line

hes right a qb cant just call his own plays when the OC is calling the plays he has to have permission to do that and i dont think any qb does that unless its the 2 min warning
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this is also nice:

hes right a qb cant just call his own plays when the OC is calling the plays he has to have permission to do that and i dont think any qb does that unless its the 2 min warning

Qbs with great knowledge of an offense can just call it like they see it

Favre always does that
Manning does that

The point I was trying to make is it doesn't matter if he is smarter than a guy with an MBA from Stanford, that intelligence isn't translating to the field.
I want WCO back now!!! Hmmmmmmph!!
  • dj43

this is also nice:

or the right package of players on the field to adjust to a play that will work.

The 49ers start with a package to run up the middle. If the defense is set to stop that, there are limited options available to Smith.

I disagree with this statement. Manny Lawson is probably the smartest person on the team. He has the highest wonderlick score (I think) on the team with 43. Whereas Smith had a score of 40.

Plus Lawson was a engineering major. Lawson's Engineering degree > Smith's Economics degree.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Alex Smith can't just call his own plays. Head Coach has to give him the permission to do that.

• dj43
The thread title says what I have been saying for two years, and it doesn't stop with the quarterback, although that is what most fans see.

The problem is that the 49er offense lack imagination. They line up and say "we are coming straight at you, try to stop us," and in this league, any team can stop another when it is that obvious.

For the QB, they have to have receivers that are fast, agile and who can read a defense consistently and get open. The 49er receivers are good blockers first and pass receivers second. With the exception of VD, NONE of them could start in Green Bay or Indy or Dallas any of the good passing teams in the NFL. That leaves the QB with pretty limited options even before you look at the simplistic offense Singletary prefers.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
If the play is not there within whatever time Alex needs to go through his progressions, he should really call his own play.

-9fA

This.

This really shouldn't be a "crisis". It's very discouraging that Alex doesn't take charge if he isn't getting the play on time. He called a time out on 1st and 10 in the Seattle game. It isn't that difficult; call a play and get to the line. If Jimmy doesn't like it, tell him to get the f____g play in on time.

Originally posted by ManBearPig:
I want WCO back now!!! Hmmmmmmph!!

THIS.

I'm Super Serial!! Excelsior!!

the chargers run our same offense and are incredibly effective, regardless of whatever penalties they incur.

our offense is lacking basic elements of organization and creativity. fix that and the "digit system" the overall philosophy would be fine.

and people screaming about returning to the WCO: that's not a cure-all, you know. Pretty much all teams in the league use WC and Coryell elements in their offenses. Going to a pure WCO wouldn't solve any of our problems.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:

the chargers run our same offense and are incredibly effective, regardless of whatever penalties they incur.

our offense is lacking basic elements of organization and creativity. fix that and the "digit system" the overall philosophy would be fine.

and people screaming about returning to the WCO: that's not a cure-all, you know. Pretty much all teams in the league use WC and Coryell elements in their offenses. Going to a pure WCO wouldn't solve any of our problems.
And Norv Turner calls the plays from the sideline. Though Turner is a bit over-rated as a play caller, IMO, he is light years more creative than the offense Raye has installed here.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So now its the system, what's next the grass at candlestick is too long.

The Alexecuses will never stop
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this is also nice:

Qbs with great knowledge of an offense can just call it like they see it

Favre always does that
Manning does that

The point I was trying to make is it doesn't matter if he is smarter than a guy with an MBA from Stanford, that intelligence isn't translating to the field.

im not denying that but the thing we have to think about is does alex acually have the time to observe the field if teh plays are coming in late i dont see how he has time to read and adjust to the defense on the field
Share 49ersWebzone