LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 192 users in the forums

Current 9rs haunted by 9rs past?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Every team has it's ups and downs. The teams who are on top like the Saints, Patriots, Packers, etc spent decades on the bottom. GB didn't win a super bowl for 29 years. The Saints where horrible for decades and won their first SB since they started 42 years ago. There is a shift in power in divisions and conferences. Not that the pro bowl means a lot but I think the NFC won it 11/16 years... the AFC 6 of 7. Remember when the Rams where on top of our division for years? The Seahawks???

I can't think one NFL team that hasn't had a slump in their history. People need to realize that it's not like baseball where there is an unfair advantage. Over time teams that are bottom dwellers usually get back on their feet with high picks (if they work out). Teams on top eventually lose star players and fall back to earth. If you are successful other teams want your star players and great coaches and it is tough to keep a team/staff together. Eventually your staff is stripped and star players sign else where for big money.

So I know everyone wants every season to be successful but we had 16 seasons of 10+ wins. We had nearly two decades of winning football. We had to go down some time. We are on the way back up and it takes time. Most 49er fans are impatient because they either grew up in the "golden" era or first started following in the decline of the "golden" era and haven't seen winning football.

You are right, but you have to actually work to get out of the losing era. If you look at horrible teams, the common theme is bad decisions in the front office. Matt Millen might be the shining example. We have our own set of debacles in the Erickson/Nolan/McClueless/Simpletary era. If you look at all great teams, it starts with a great GM/front office. A great GM would not have hired Nolan/Singletary/Raye etc. Nolan was a poor to middling DC. Singletary was clearly unqualified. Raye is a proven loser. It is funny to see how people focus on the little things when the real crux of the problem is in the front office.

Can't forget to include Donahue. The cap situation really hurt the Niners at the start of this decade but it was his drafts that took a bad situation and made it much, much worse.
  • 9r4lf
Originally posted by 9r4lf:
you are making excuses for years of failure. We are not asking for SB wins right now. Just competence.

Certainly not making excuses. What I see on the field is incompetence and wonder if mentally, they are in over their heads. You do realize that most of anything we do is 80% mental or more. Look at Tiger Woods. He was the best, now less than average? Is his loss becuase he sucks? No. It is because is is mental from his current challenges. Is it an excuse? Nope...he is a mental case. So my question is, is the 9r mystique a mental challenge for these guys?

Seriously? The only thing haunting us is the Yorks. That is a carryover from the past, perhaps the only one. It is the single most important problem for the Niners, but I don't think this is what you meant. Your question is absurd. Sorry, that's how I see it.

Not absurd, perhaps to analytical for you. Sometimes questions with depth throw the laymen off. I am just asking if the pressure to be a 9r is too much for our current players and staff. I dumbed it down some..does that help?
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by znk916:
no its just the ghost of Jimmy Raye

Ditto!

He sees s**t we dun't always seh.

lol
Share 49ersWebzone