There are 257 users in the forums

49ers have the youngest starters on offense in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
49ers, Rams had youngest starting offenses
September, 17, 2010 Sep 1710:23AM ETEmail Print Comments By Mike Sando

Roster turnover in Seattle dominated NFC West discussion heading into Week 1, but it was the San Francisco 49ers with the youngest starters on offense -- not just in the division, but in the league overall.

That makes sense with two rookies starting on the offensive line and a second-year receiver, Michael Crabtree, also in the lineup.

The St. Louis Rams, with No. 1 overall choice Sam Bradford at quarterback and second-round choice Rodger Saffold at left tackle, fielded the second-youngest starting offense.

The chart ranks the 10 youngest starting offenses in the league for Week 1, punctuated by averages for Arizona (14th-oldest), Seattle (20th-oldest) and all teams. These averages reflect actual starting lineups, not projected starting lineups (Michael Vick counts as a starter for the Philadelphia Eagles, for example, because he lined up at receiver to open the game).

Note: All information is based on the rosters I maintain for every team in the league. Ages are calculated to the day, not to the most recent birthday (a player about to turn 30 would count as 29.9 instead of 29.0). Ages also reflect how hold players were Friday, when I ran the calculations. This might seem like splitting hairs, but I point it out because the NFL produces more general averages.

2010 Week 1: Youngest Starting Offenses
Rank Offense Average Age
1 49ers 25.273
2 Rams 26.300
3 Raiders 26.500
4 Dolphins 26.691
4 Panthers 26.691
6 Broncos 26.782
7 Eagles 26.936
8 Jets 26.982
9 Lions 27.018
10 Jaguars 27.036
14 Cardinals 27.209
20 Seahawks 27.900
NFL Avg. 27.818

[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 17, 2010 at 08:24:58 ]
Ahhh, this is why Alex Smith sucks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Ahhh, this is why Alex Smith sucks.

i knew we were young, but not the youngest.
Take out Norris and our average age drops even further lol !
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thrash88:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This is a perfect reason to clean coaching house now and hire an offensive-minded head-coach.

Just sayin.

Yeah a bunch of the defensive guys are over 30
This is a perfect reason to clean coaching house now and hire an offensive-minded head-coach.

Just sayin.

That coupled with the fact that Manusky is a damn good DC.
And the oldest OC in the world. Disconnect much?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Our players are ready to be explosive not...

ISO Run
ISO Run
Shot Gun Pass / Draw
PUNT

Originally posted by FourNine49:

Just sayin.

Yeah a bunch of the defensive guys are over 30

Get Mays & NaVorro in the line up

respect your elders

Jimmy Raye needs his nap time ok
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thrash88:

Or just take out Norris....
Age is not as relevent as years playing. We should compare years playing to compare what players are most experienced. The only thing looking at birthdays tells you is perhaps a projection of how many more years a player has to play.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 17, 2010 at 10:06:53 ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Age is not as relevent as years playing. We should compare years playing to compare what players are most experienced. The only thing looking at birthdays tells you is perhaps a projection of how many more years a player has to play.

True! While we may be young, we have many players who have started from day 1 and have been playing for years d/t the lack of talent we had. That said, I can say the same thing for our defense. To date, save for a handful of players, we know EXACTLY what we have in our players. A few have not reached their potential, others already have, some have plateaud and many are very one-dimensional players. We still have a lot of square peg-round hole players on this team which by now, we should have a strong identity/philosophy and players who fit and are exceling in. Ummmm...
Share 49ersWebzone