LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

Coach Singletary Thread (General Topics)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I'll give credit to Shingles. He's going down, but he's going down his way.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
There is zero doubt in my mind that if we make it to the playoffs, all will be forgive. A.Smith and J.Raye will be the scapegoat.

I still have know idea what Sing does? He doesn't call plays, he doesn't watch the clock. What the heck does he do on the sideline besides throw temper tantrums?

If Sing makes the playoffs, then I think he gives a convincing, very convincing end of season interview. He has the facts of why we lost early in the season and if he uses those, he will be very convincing. He also has some solid scapegoats:

1. Raye
2. Alex
3. Player bonehead turnovers

He can even blame the KC loss on Raye. He can also take credit for finding, if everything continues as it has, a very capable OC from nowhere and making the decision to switch along with Troy Smith. Hell, he can even convince Jed that Mike Johnson could be a project into being the HC (of course, this will be only to keep his job).

This is all IF we make the playoffs.

I agree. I think it will be hard for the York's to fire Singletary if he makes the playoffs. We haven't been to the playoffs in almost a decade and to fire the only coach that takes us there after the whole down and downs that this season has been is going to be difficult to justify.

While I do agree with the common perception is that Singletary has little impact in the overall outcome of the game, he must have done something to right to get us to the playoffs, right? Even if it does mean simply getting out of the way.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
There is zero doubt in my mind that if we make it to the playoffs, all will be forgive. A.Smith and J.Raye will be the scapegoat.

I still have know idea what Sing does? He doesn't call plays, he doesn't watch the clock. What the heck does he do on the sideline besides throw temper tantrums?

If Sing makes the playoffs, then I think he gives a convincing, very convincing end of season interview. He has the facts of why we lost early in the season and if he uses those, he will be very convincing. He also has some solid scapegoats:

1. Raye
2. Alex

He can even blame the KC loss on Raye. He can also take credit for finding, if everything continues as it has, a very capable OC from nowhere and making the decision to switch along with Troy Smith. Hell, he can even convince Jed that Mike Johnson could be a project into being the HC (of course, this will be only to keep his job).

I agree. I think it will be hard for the York's to fire Singletary if he makes the playoffs. We haven't been to the playoffs in almost a decade and to fire the only coach that takes us there after the whole down and downs that this season has been is going to be difficult to justify.

While I do agree with the common perception is that Singletary has little impact in the overall outcome of the game, he must have done something to right to get us to the playoffs, right? Even if it does mean simply getting out of the way.

-9fA

...and that would be an utter disaster. This division is absolutely atrocious, and making the playoffs pretty much means nothing, especially considering where we were at last year. This is also why I can totally understand when people say they don't care if we win or are even rooting against the team, it actually makes perfectly good sense right now, and there is a lot of logic behind it. Right now, I can understand the perspective of every 9er fan, rooting for or against the team, desperate times call for desperate measures.

1. Raye
2. Alex

Man, I'm torn on what will happen, thinking from our management perspective...or, "from a management standpoint."

The thing is, HE was responsible for getting rid of Martz, having a philosophy that turned away innovative OC's and ultimately choosing and sticking with Raye well beyond any semblance of success. He also chose Alex Smith, got rid of Hill and has been very tentative of Mike Johnson. He still strong arms MJ (obviously), throws players under the bus and holds ZERO accountability of Manusky who has failed miserably this year with a veteran defense. He's demonstrated he's 100% reliable on his coordinators and position coaches and STILL his archaic philosophy permeates throughout both coordinator's game plans. Then you look at the expectations of this team, poor clock management, constant time outs, communication problems, how poor we are on the road, how unprepared we are, how many games we've been outcoached, the talent on this team, the zero accountability by players (even veterans), leading the league in penalties, poor fundamentals, players only showing up on nationally televised games, staying the course, etc. there is NO doubt in my mind he should be gone.

BUT...

This is the Yorks. Singletary is a great buffer for them and he's cheap. If we do win this division, they MAY give him another shot with Troy Smith who may end up being the next Shaun Hill.

[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 2, 2010 at 09:47:49 ]
IT´S OBVIOUS SINGLETARY DON´T KNOW A PIECE OF S****T OF X'S AND O'X, HE ES JUST A MOTIVATOR.....IN THA BEGINIG OF THE SEASSON HI HAS TO ACCEPT THAT HE NEED THE HELP OF THE COUCHES.....

1. Raye
2. Alex

If we make the playoffs it will be because of the weak division. I don't think it should factor into the coaching decision... and I hope the front office sees that. That first playoff game might be more of a consideration. But seriously? Didn't they make the same mistake keeping Nolan for that extra year?
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Know what? I don't think Dingleberry is in control of the team anymore. I really don't.

It's just conjecture. I have no proof for you. No links. No "dad-gum Yahoo" stuff. It's just the feeling I get when I watch the man at the podium after games and on news conference Mondays.

That traditional Singletary fire? GONE! That ZIP? GONE! The bravado? VANISHED LIKE A FART IN THE WIND!

He gives every impression through body language -- voice and response that he is no longer running the show in 49er land. He gives every impression that someone is yanking his chain.

One more thing? He doesn't like it either. Which is why he's giving off these "SIGNS" that something isn't quite right in Dingleberry land.

Whatever. If there's someone else calling the shots? It's working. Don't mess with the formula son. Just keep drinking that koolaid until it turns sour.

After reading the Eddie D interview, I'd have to agree with you. At least regarding the decision to start Troy Smith over Carr. That decision came out of nowhere. Everyone was expecting Carr to start after Alex got injured...

Eddie DeBartolo: Troy Smith, I know well because we represented him and I thought and I still think that he’s going to do very well for the team. At least for the remainder of the five games and hopefully if he has a chance to compete next year.

Because I liken him a bit to Michael Vick. That’s a gigantic comparison, but he rolls out and he’s a threat, he’s got a strong arm, he’s a smart young man. I spent quite a bit of time with him in Youngstown when we signed him and his family.

When they signed him after the Ravens waived him, I thought that was a real good pick-up.

(http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/12/01/eddie-debartolo-on-his-nephew-jed-the-49ers-big-decisions-the-stadium-al-davis-and-much-more/)
Is this the new "Fire Singletary" thread? Is so count me in, because THERE is nothing else to discuss when it comes to Singletary! FIRE HIM!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Is he gone yet?

I can't wait for the day he is gone.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Is he gone yet?

I can't wait for the day he is gone.

He won't be gone.

The Vikings and Cowboys have higher standards and expectations for their HCs.

We scored double figures in points. That's good enough for this generation's 49ers.

5 year extension for Mike Singletary.....

anyone recall reports out there from our beat writers when singletary initially got hired as HC where he basically stated how he does'nt need to work a ton of hours and that he can partition his time out in a way that he has ample time to spend w/ his family?

My question to the beat writers would be whether singletary has continued this practice/philosophy that he has where he feels he can get what he needs done with less hours ala steve spurrier....this could be a major fault w/ the team if that is case as coaches see the boss leaving early and so do players.

i'll try to see if i can get on a chat this week to ask the beat writers this question, but if anyone else can look to do that as well it would be much appreciated.
Who cares 4 more games and he's gone
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
good point.

but god damn it pisses me off that we wasted the last 2yrs on this guy.

anyone else notice the mike johnson talks about how he has to hold back the offense because troy smith doesn't know yet...yet we continue to roll him out as we try to make the playoffs while smith sits on the bench and he knows the entire offense.

this guy just can't make any good decisions.

in this situation the last 2-3 games alex smith should've been the starter as he knows the entire playbook and allows us to be flexible
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Share 49ersWebzone