There are 173 users in the forums

Coach Singletary Thread (General Topics)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RedAlert:
At this point, not feeling too good about it. No reason to be. 3-6!!! This team is just not well coached. They have gone from killer turnovers to killer penalties. And the defense, which you should be able to count on under Singletary, has taken a step back. The Niners play like the Raiders. Well, not even that good right now. Unacceptable. I'm not against Singletary having some role in the organization. Just not as head coach right now. Get Holmgren! Let’s go!

singletary is built to be a college coach where his stature alone will help him recruit, he doesnt know s**t about strategy and is stuck in 80's football. we won 3 games in spite of singletary but because we are a talented team thats not being coached right
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by susweel:
I'll probably get blasted for saying this but I would rather not make the playoffs if it means Sing coming back.

Sing needs to go so we can build a team that actually has a chance at winning the super bowl someday.

Think about this though, They fired mooch for erickson, they fired him for Nolan, then him for Sing... Do you think the Yorks ACTUALLY thought any of those coaches could get us to the big game? Do you REALLY think they are worried about getting back to the Super Bowl? I don't. They're sittin on their 5 Trophies and sucking the cash out of faithful fans like me and you, putting this crappy sub par product on the field day in and day out. If they were gonna hire a GM and/or a Coach that could get us back to the Super Bowl, they would have done so by now. Jed may be the face but John still holds the wallet... and that s**t has a chastity belt on it with a lost key . So my point is, might as well win as many as we can. f**k throwing games, because they WILL NOT bring in the quality we need. If we get Holmgren, Gruden or even Harbaugh, I'll eat my words, but I doubt Jed has the balls to stand up to daddy to get them paid, and go after them...

Oh yea, Jed, the boy who experienced all the glory first hand, is going to "tank" our team.

That is the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. He grew up just like us witnessing the championships. I believe his heart is full of those experiences and these failures are ripping it apart.

The fact that you as well as many others like SanDiego believe that the boy prince would purposefully degrade his team through apathy and greed is totally preposterous!

C'mon now! Don't let the hate misguide you all. Jed made a mistake with Singletary, period. He will bring in a "Brand" name, watch. He has too for his sake and his precious stadium's. There are too many solid candidates next year not for him to fire Singletary.

If he does return, I would not be happy and would seriously consider not renewing my tickets next year.

We need that "Brand". Singletary is not it.

What have they done to make you think otherwise? They are cheap as f**k... and ruined our franchise. Jed may not be tanking the team, but he's a young f**ker that's in way over his head... I hope I'm wrong... but I think that after a loss... all he needs to do is log into his online banking and take a look at the account balance... then I'm preeeeety sure he's lookin like this again ------>
We need to move on and go after Gruden.
  • dj43
Originally posted by cools:
3 good coaches

Harbaugh- He was on KNBR the other day, and made it pretty clear that he loves being at Stanford and how he's just getting started there, I doubt he leaves yet

Holmgren- Love to have em, but I doubt he leaves, in fact I dont think he can.
and to make things worse, I bet he hires Gruden as the HC

so I like all three, but I doubt any of them will be options for the Niners

Singletary returns next season. How does that make you feel?
I'd join the ranks of those who think Jed York has failed

Now, If someone like Billick got the job, and kept his buddy Sing around as an assistant, I'd be ok with that,
It could be a wise move for Sing, learn from one of the best teachers out there

That would be a good move for Singletary but I don't know how that would set with the team.

I still believe most of the players like playing for Singletary. It is just that his skill set is so limited at this time...

I would be OK with Billick. He is a bright guy who has won both with offense in Minne and defense in Baltimore.
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
As long as this team wins and becomes a winner it doesn't matter who the coach is. One thing that we must like about Sing is that he's not afraid to make changes.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by cools:
3 good coaches

Harbaugh- He was on KNBR the other day, and made it pretty clear that he loves being at Stanford and how he's just getting started there, I doubt he leaves yet

Holmgren- Love to have em, but I doubt he leaves, in fact I dont think he can.
and to make things worse, I bet he hires Gruden as the HC

so I like all three, but I doubt any of them will be options for the Niners

Singletary returns next season. How does that make you feel?
I'd join the ranks of those who think Jed York has failed

Now, If someone like Billick got the job, and kept his buddy Sing around as an assistant, I'd be ok with that,
It could be a wise move for Sing, learn from one of the best teachers out there

That would be a good move for Singletary but I don't know how that would set with the team.

I still believe most of the players like playing for Singletary. It is just that his skill set is so limited at this time...

I would be OK with Billick. He is a bright guy who has won both with offense in Minne and defense in Baltimore.

no way i want billick, he was known for being a so called offensive guru for having a randy moss at the time that couldve challenged jerry for top statistics and a hall of famer in carter. then he goes to baltimore and cant find a qb then replaces the sb winning qb even though he wasnt great but did a good job of managing the offense and let the d take over and replaces him with elvis freaking grbac. he then drafts sorry ass kyle boller, ray lewis and his d won billick a sb in 00
Originally posted by ninertico:
I'll probably get blasted for saying this but I would rather not make the playoffs if it means Sing coming back.

Sing needs to go so we can build a team that actually has a chance at winning the super bowl someday.

Think about this though, They fired mooch for erickson, they fired him for Nolan, then him for Sing... Do you think the Yorks ACTUALLY thought any of those coaches could get us to the big game? Do you REALLY think they are worried about getting back to the Super Bowl? I don't. They're sittin on their 5 Trophies and sucking the cash out of faithful fans like me and you, putting this crappy sub par product on the field day in and day out. If they were gonna hire a GM and/or a Coach that could get us back to the Super Bowl, they would have done so by now. Jed may be the face but John still holds the wallet... and that s**t has a chastity belt on it with a lost key . So my point is, might as well win as many as we can. f**k throwing games, because they WILL NOT bring in the quality we need. If we get Holmgren, Gruden or even Harbaugh, I'll eat my words, but I doubt Jed has the balls to stand up to daddy to get them paid, and go after them...

Oh yea, Jed, the boy who experienced all the glory first hand, is going to "tank" our team.

That is the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. He grew up just like us witnessing the championships. I believe his heart is full of those experiences and these failures are ripping it apart.

The fact that you as well as many others like SanDiego believe that the boy prince would purposefully degrade his team through apathy and greed is totally preposterous!

C'mon now! Don't let the hate misguide you all. Jed made a mistake with Singletary, period. He will bring in a "Brand" name, watch. He has too for his sake and his precious stadium's. There are too many solid candidates next year not for him to fire Singletary.

If he does return, I would not be happy and would seriously consider not renewing my tickets next year.

We need that "Brand". Singletary is not it.

What have they done to make you think otherwise? They are cheap as f**k... and ruined our franchise. Jed may not be tanking the team, but he's a young f**ker that's in way over his head... I hope I'm wrong... but I think that after a loss... all he needs to do is log into his online banking and take a look at the account balance... then I'm preeeeety sure he's lookin like this again ------>

We'll see Z. The reason I think otherwise is because Jed as well as Dad have and had opened up their checkbooks over the last five years. They spent big money on FA and our own. Dad used to be very cheap, but that changed since Nolan I believe.

I understand and empathize where you are coming from Z, but I don't agree. We shall see whose right come January, right?

Until then man, just enjoy what wins we get and what bonuses on top of that.

Go Niners!

I think people are giving John too much balls, it is mom Denise that Jed will have to appeal too. The money is controled by the Debart. and John is for all intents and purposes and outsider or window dressing, that is why he was originally put in place, the wife wanted him to make himself useful, while she ran the family corp.
I'm ready to make a change. He has shown that he cannot manage an NFL game. His clock management skills don't exist. His "fire 'em up" attitude will work real well in College, but not at the NFL level. It works a game or two, but not long term. You need talent and teamwork, not emotions.

He has been given a chance and has shown he cannot make the difficult decision. We need someone in here who is not so emotional and knows how to select talent.

As for Gruden, no way. We'd have 6 or 7 QBs on the roster and not one worth a s**t.

But this makes no business sense. They are business people and if they only cared about making $ as you state they would make a whole lot more if the team was performing well. Merchandise, ticket sales, prime time games etc...

You say the Yorks are cheap but they paid Nolan to leave. They paid a ton of cash for a first round QB, a "shut down" corner etc... Why would they do that if what you claim is true?

I think Jed is accustomed to winning and will not be satisfied until so. Will he make mistakes? Has he? Yes. I'm guessing he talked his Dad into letting him run the organization to prove he can do it since he can be more focused on the organization than his Dad. Time will tell, but they make more cash if the team is winning. It makes no sense that they wouldn't want to win.

LB

the biggest problem with this team is discipline! You'd think someone as intense as sing could nail that down, but man, we are KILLING ourselves with penalties! If coach can't address such a simple thing, i dont know about him! Granted a davis is doing a lot of this himself, but still!
I'd feel good. That means we must have made the PLAYOFFS BABY!

But also I think he's a good coach. Flawed, but good.
The problem I have with Sing is his reluctance to make a QB change when it was obvious to most of us the QB was not working out very well. It took an injury for him to make the change, and at that point he was forced to, he had no choice. He was keeping the other QB as the starter at all costs.

I like Sing and hope he's on a fast track for learning. I'm afraid that he's not though.

So no, I would not be happy if he returned unless he changes drastically the remainder of the season. If troy is on a short leash like Hill was and Alex gets the starting role back I may not even watch the games, and I don't miss the games...

LB
Originally posted by boast:
yeah if Sing winds up winning a playoff game or two he has to stay.

If he stays, I will be pissed. The Niners need an offensive minded coach who actually understands X and O's, not just motivational cliches. Here is why I think Sing has to go:

- No matter how good Troy Smith looks right now, this team does not have a franchise QB yet.
- The team is talented but unfocused. The Niners had two weeks to prepare for the Rams and still looked confused.
- Game and clock management issues happen EVERY week.
- Guys like Rachal and Alex Smith can stink it up and he doesn't try to find solutions until an injury happens or he can find some other excuse to bench them (...like the birth of a kid).
- Player defections

Add all that up, and that means he should be gone.
Share 49ersWebzone