There are 294 users in the forums

Coach Singletary Thread (General Topics)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Im starting to think that coach Sing is not smart enough to be a successful NFL head coach.

What was that timeout that he came running on the field for, just save 12 seconds.

Clock management was terrible as usual.

yeah, he needed to have had the players ready to take that TO. That seems like a really basic organizational thing for the coach to handle.

but looking at the mistakes that could be laid at Sing's feet between last week and this week, I thought he did a lot better. If he continues to improve, I think he'll be fine. But we'll see. He's learning on the job, so he's gotta learn fast. we'll see if he can.
MIKE SINGLETARY AS THE WIZARD OF OZ.

After watching the Niners performance in Seattle and Singletary’s performance the next week, I thought of the movie, “The Wizard Of Oz””, in which the wizard of Emerald City appears as a disembodied head on a giant screen. Everyone in Oz respects and fears the wizard, thought to be omnipotent and all-powerful. But in a climatic scene at the movie’s end Dorothy’s dog Toto tears down a curtain and the wizard is revealed to be a fraud, a pathetic old man running a machine that projects the wizard’s image on the screen.

Mike Singletary is the wizard of the Niners. The Seattle week pulled aside the curtain and revealed him as a fraud as a head coach. Like the wizard, he has fooled us (including me) by projecting an image of strength and toughness and certainty that he knows what he is doing. Mike the strong inspirational leader, organizer, disciplinarian and motivator.

But that image is a mirage. The only valid part is motivator. Yes, the players respect him and play hard for him now. The question is how long that will last if he continues to make poor coaching decisions, to lose his poise, to react to adversity with counterproductive emotional outbursts. The story this week is he’s trying to find the right emotional approach. So in his third year as head coach he’s still undergoing on-the-job training??!! When the head coach can’t keep his poise, how can you expect the team to?

Singletary’s choice of Jimmy Raye was a mistake. Raye runs an outmoded offense that today’s defenses have no trouble handling. He is conservative, predictable, unimaginative – qualities he shares with Singletary, so naturally he won’t be fired. Singletary’s brief coaching career means he lacks an in depth technical knowledge of the modern game. Singletary has failed to find competent kick returners, he has decimated the special teams with poor personnel decisions. His clock and game management is atrocious. The issue of getting plays to Smith on time has been festering since last year, but Singletary was clueless – it took a loss in Seattle before corrections were made. That’s not the awareness and team management you expect from a component head coach. Then the Saints loss was caused by four turnovers – not the sign of a disciplined team.

It’s not enough to be tough. A successful head coach has to be smart above all else, smart about picking and managing his assistants, about keeping his fingers on the pulse of the team, about making the right player personnel decisions, about managing games. And Singletary has yet to prove he is smart enough in any of these areas to turn the Niners into a truly playoff caliber team.

Motivation is Singletary’s strength, but it only carries you so far. Most teams don’t vary that much in this respect – after all they are all professionals playing for a paycheck and for pride. No coach out-motivates everyone else to the Superbowl. The real differences are based on player talent and the ability of coaches to provide the coaching of individuals and schemes for the team that work better than their opponents. The Niners probably have enough talent to win this Division, but only because it’s so weak – in any other division they would be outclassed. The bottom line is that until they get better coaching they will not rise above the level of the mediocre, middle-of-the-pack team you see today.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
A lot of you all are frustrated because the 49ers continue to lose and look bad doing so, but maybe we should be patient. I know, you're sick of hearing that as am I, but think about it. Here's what a columnist had to say:

Quote:
If the 49ers are patient, Mike Singletary is going to be an outstanding head football coach. But right now, he's not the best at the little things. - Fox Sports.com

Another situation I would look at is Houston, in any of the last couple of years Bob McNair could have fired Gary Kubiak, but he stuck with him and the Texans finally look like they may get over the hump this season (barring injury).

Tony Sparano and John Harbaugh seem to be doing well for themselves and they weren't coordinators (well Harbaugh coached special teams).

I dunno. It's my hope things start to turn around, but they gotta win some games.
[ Edited by FL9er on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM ]
Sorry.

But he gets out coached every game. Emotional speeches only get you so far.

His ideologies are not innovative and tired.
Coach selection. Terrible.

Jimmy Raye is gargabe.

The fat lady is clearing her throat to sing, on Sing.

GTFO
This team has not had a good head coach since Mooch. Gruden is out there. Billick is out there. Fox will probably be out there as well. Enough with the first time guys and Dennis Erickson's of the world. You cannot defend this organization to me
john gruden.
Coaching staff needs to be purged. This is inexcusable.
No offensive adjustments. Conservative play calling/gameplan. I'm sick of this s**t.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its time to fire Rev Sing.
The fat lady ready to sing? The fat lady ALREADY LEFT THE STAGE LONG AGO. 49ers management haven't realize it yet.

Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Sorry.

But he gets out coached every game. Emotional speeches only get you so far.

His ideologies are not innovative and tired.
Coach selection. Terrible.

Jimmy Raye is gargabe.

The fat lady is clearing her throat to sing, on Sing.

GTFO

this.
I agree 100%. Innovation--a novel concept in ninerland.
Agreed.

The results of the experiment are in.

Singletary MUST go. In addition, Raye may be the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen who has had a long career. Peter Principal at its finest.
this is scary..I don't even think we are a playoff team.
Originally posted by pickle:
I agree 100%. Innovation--a novel concept in ninerland.

Sing would not have the balls to approve of a play like the reverse flea flicker we got burned on. No f**king way.
Share 49ersWebzone