LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

ALEX SMITH ROCKIN' THE WRISTBAND!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 49er
  • Veteran
Hopefully this isn't the only solution that the coaching staff has come up with. It will help somewhat but I doubt all of the plays they're going to call the entire game are going to be on the wristband.

I'd like them to be able to have Alex Smith use the "fail safe" plays that Raye mentioned. Unfortunately, Smith said he needs 24 seconds for that. Maybe they need some "fail safe" plays where there isn't any motioning/shifting prior to the snap. That should easily save 10 seconds because it seems like the 49ers do that on EVERY play.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
WOOOOOOO!!!! POST PICS OF WRISTBANDS!!! POSTING HEADBANDS = INSTANT BAN! AND NO RATTING!!!

http://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/24696101867

Quote:
MaioccoCSN

49ers quarterback Alex Smith was wearing a wristband with the plays on it during the team's open portion of practice this afternoon.

Note that Alex's has alot less stuff on it than Brady's. Brady's came from the NFL, but Alex got the Pop Warner model. They really didn't need all that extra stuff since 3/4th of the play revolve around Frank Gore and handoffs. I think there are four passing plays on that wristband Alex is wearing.

Of course there is the overthrown fade pass to Norris, the out of bounds pass to the corner of the end zone, the deep seem route to Vernon, and the tricky one that bounces off Crabtree's head or fingers, but can got to either side of the field.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:
THANK GOD
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Alex knows the plays fine. He doesn't need a wristband. The OC needs to enunciate clearly and he needs to stop fumbling through papers and get the plays in to the lineup in time.

That's not the issue. The issue is SPEED. This way, all Raye has to say, for example, is "5! 5!" and Alex can then look at the band, see play #5 and call the actual play in detail in the huddle.

Raye will still be fumbling through his papers and won't be able to find them fast enough. Plus with his pronunciation "55" will sound like "65." There will be screw ups let me assure you...

Maybe. But the wristband has nothing to do with whether or not Smith knows the plays. That was your initial complaint:

Alex knows the plays fine. He doesn't need a wristband.

Sure it has more to do with Raye than Alex. That's obvious. But how does it help Raye pronounce the words better? Of fumble through his papers better?

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Shouldn't he have ALWAYS have the band!?!?!?!?!?!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Alex knows the plays fine. He doesn't need a wristband. The OC needs to enunciate clearly and he needs to stop fumbling through papers and get the plays in to the lineup in time.

That's not the issue. The issue is SPEED. This way, all Raye has to say, for example, is "5! 5!" and Alex can then look at the band, see play #5 and call the actual play in detail in the huddle.

Raye will still be fumbling through his papers and won't be able to find them fast enough. Plus with his pronunciation "55" will sound like "65." There will be screw ups let me assure you...

Maybe. But the wristband has nothing to do with whether or not Smith knows the plays. That was your initial complaint:

Alex knows the plays fine. He doesn't need a wristband.

Sure it has more to do with Raye than Alex. That's obvious. But how does it help Raye pronounce the words better? Of fumble through his papers better?

Originally posted by susweel:

lol.

glad to see theyre trying to fix the problem. but sad that they actually need to take time to address issues that are as basic as these. these are things other teams dont give a second though about while they focus on more important things like gameplanning.

it's like celebrating because your doctor just barely learned how to take someone's temperature. i'd be more worried than relieved.
Jimmy Raye's contribution to pro football: The Tecmo Bowl offense (circa 87).

Originally posted by elbolitas49ers:
I think is too late for this to be fix, I can't belive I would be saying this but the season is over for us.

It's not too late to fix a delayed play calling problem. If this gets the offense up to the line with a chance to check out the defensive alignment without rushing, that will help everybody . . . Smith, Gore, Receiver's the O-Linemen . . . everybody.

It's embarassing that this is a problem in September, but it's not too late.
Does nobody else see the fly in the ointment here? If good ol' Jimmy is really calling his plays from memory then just how in the heck is going to be able to associate a number to a play that he's just pulling out of his butt? Hm? Hm? Huh? Anyone?
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Does nobody else see the fly in the ointment here? If good ol' Jimmy is really calling his plays from memory then just how in the heck is going to be able to associate a number to a play that he's just pulling out of his butt? Hm? Hm? Huh? Anyone?

But the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor...

Shhh he's on a roll

If that is the way that the structure is being put in place, you are absolutely right.

I'm hoping that Old Jimmy has an expanded copy of the wristband plays in front of him - you know, all organized and junk - that he is looking at so that everyone is on the same page.

...then again, maybe I am giving the organization too much credit.

If that is the way that the structure is being put in place, you are absolutely right.

I'm hoping that Old Jimmy has an expanded copy of the wristband plays in front of him - you know, all organized and junk - that he is looking at so that everyone is on the same page.

...then again, maybe I am giving the organization too much credit.

Oh I'm so so scared right now.
Share 49ersWebzone