LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

ALEX SMITH ROCKIN' THE WRISTBAND!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I knew a comedian that used to wear a wristband with his newer jokes on it. Friggin' hilarious.
The wrist band will have what 2 plays on it?
1. Up the gut with gore
2. Up the gut with Norris
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
sorry for my football ignorance but can someone please explain to me how this helps? its supposed to speed up the play calling correct?

To be honest, I don't think it's going to speed up the playcalling all that much.

Where it will help will be in terms of receiving the playcall in hostile environments. Now instead of an elongated play call being drowned by noise, just a number will be called instead. Smith can then refer to the wristband and call the play associated with the number.

-9fA
Originally posted by backontop:
1. Up the gut with gore

dont forget the 4 Verticals.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
sorry for my football ignorance but can someone please explain to me how this helps? its supposed to speed up the play calling correct?

To be honest, I don't think it's going to speed up the playcalling all that much.

Where it will help will be in terms of receiving the playcall in hostile environments. Now instead of an elongated play call being drowned by noise, just a number will be called instead. Smith can then refer to the wristband and call the play associated with the number.

-9fA

it will speed up playcalling only if Raye doesn't have to search around for the play himself. If he knows right away what play he wants to run it should make it much faster.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by backontop:
1. Up the gut with gore

dont forget the 4 Verticals.

Hey now, we don't want Raye to get that confused. Looking through more than 2 plays and his old timers kicks in.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

-9fA

it will speed up playcalling only if Raye doesn't have to search around for the play himself. If he knows right away what play he wants to run it should make it much faster.

So now he's going be to searching around for numbers?!!?

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 18, 2010 at 18:27:43 ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

-9fA

So now's going be to searching around for numbers?!!?

-9fA

lol. yeah, we're still screwed.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Young2Rice.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
It took them a whole season and 1 game to realize that Smith needs a wristband to make play calling more smooth?

WOW

This coaching staff must be pretty stupid.

Hold up player. You must be new here.

The communication breakdown isn't between Jimmy Raye and Alex Smith, but Jimmy Raye and his Quality Control / Quarterbacks Coach. Alex Smith played 11 games (started 10) last season. During that stretch, Jason Michael relayed the plays to Smith.

This season, Mike Johnson relays the plays to Smith. The communication lacking between Johnson and Raye led to plays coming out late. All of this information was confirmed in Singletary's Press Conference today (if you had watched it).

As of today (in practice), Smith will be given a code instead of a full play, which he then relays to his huddle through his wrist band. In this way, Jimmy Raye is simply giving Mike Johnson a code, which is then transfered over to Smith. And if you're wondering why Raye doesn't simply relay that play to Smith directly, NFL rules prohibit transmissions outside of the sidelines.

So yeah, it definitely hasn't been one full season and one game, kid.

First off, I'm a not a "player" (I just f**k alot). And what does being new here have to do with knowing my s**t.

I am aware of that the issues were and I don't care what the f**kin problem was. I was just stating that it took them way tooooo long to address it and all it took was a simple god damn wrist band and eliminating the middle man.

This was happening all last year as well if you didn't notice. We burned countless timeouts for no reason and were left without any.

-9fA

Without a wristband, Jimmy Raye has to call out an entire play
Raye now simply just has to say a number. The number is relayed to Smith, who looks at the number and calls the play. It saves precious seconds of speaking time. The play is actually only called out once by smith instead of Raye and then a coordinator. It saves about 20-30 seconds, which is A LOT.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 18, 2010 at 20:11:30 ]

It took them a whole season and 1 game to realize that Smith needs a wristband to make play calling more smooth?

WOW

The communication breakdown isn't between Jimmy Raye and Alex Smith, but Jimmy Raye and his Quality Control / Quarterbacks Coach. Alex Smith played 11 games (started 10) last season. During that stretch, Jason Michael relayed the plays to Smith.

This season, Mike Johnson relays the plays to Smith. The communication lacking between Johnson and Raye led to plays coming out late. All of this information was confirmed in Singletary's Press Conference today (if you had watched it).

As of today (in practice), Smith will be given a code instead of a full play, which he then relays to his huddle through his wrist band. In this way, Jimmy Raye is simply giving Mike Johnson a code, which is then transfered over to Smith. And if you're wondering why Raye doesn't simply relay that play to Smith directly, NFL rules prohibit transmissions outside of the sidelines.

First off, I'm a not a "player" (I just f**k alot). And what does being new here have to do with knowing my s**t.

I am aware of that the issues were and I don't care what the f**kin problem was. I was just stating that it took them way tooooo long to address it and all it took was a simple god damn wrist band and eliminating the middle man.

This was happening all last year as well if you didn't notice. We burned countless timeouts for no reason and were left without any.

You overstated the length in which Alex Smith was Quarterback in the system, and then misappropriated the issue.

If you can't see your flawed logic as spelled out in plain English, may god help you.

WOW

Can't we all just get a long? Lol
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Yeah he wore that play-band a lot during the 2007 season (during the preseason, and when he played with that taped-up prednisone arm).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Yeah he wore that play-band a lot during the 2007 season (during the preseason, and when he played with that taped-up prednisone arm).

yeah i guess cuz hostler didnt know what the f**k he was doing either

[ Edited by WestCoast on Sep 18, 2010 at 20:59:13 ]
Share 49ersWebzone