LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 160 users in the forums

Is the system all wrong for our players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
Originally posted by Nes49:
I bring this up because I think this is what needs to be addressed. Do you guys remember last season when we lost to the Packers? We almost came back when we started using the spread. Then ALEX SMITH, VERNON DAVIS & MICHAEL CRABTREE all when to coach Sing & expressed the desire to use the Spread more. Which we did in our next game....WE WON THAT ONE. WE HAVE LOOKED BETTER IN A SPREAD.

I know we needed Jimmy Raye to stay on as OC for continuity but, I believe now more than ever that maybe, JUST MAYBE HIS OFFENSE WON'T WORK.

In short, we have the Players....but not in the right system....

Maybe? You think it's a question that run, run, run, punt MAYBE won't work in a passing league.

LOL, some of you are so disillusioned by the Media it's funny. In every quarter, we Passed more than we Ran on Sunday.

[/i]

Damn, you took me back with this one. This was the movie with Roddy Piper, right?

Sure is, "They live" a John Carpenter Classic
I bring this up because I think this is what needs to be addressed. Do you guys remember last season when we lost to the Packers? We almost came back when we started using the spread. Then ALEX SMITH, VERNON DAVIS & MICHAEL CRABTREE all when to coach Sing & expressed the desire to use the Spread more. Which we did in our next game....WE WON THAT ONE. WE HAVE LOOKED BETTER IN A SPREAD.

I know we needed Jimmy Raye to stay on as OC for continuity but, I believe now more than ever that maybe, JUST MAYBE HIS OFFENSE WON'T WORK.

Maybe? You think it's a question that run, run, run, punt MAYBE won't work in a passing league.

LOL, some of you are so disillusioned by the Media it's funny. In every quarter, we Passed more than we Ran on Sunday.

thats because we were down about 20 points. we have to use the spread from start to finish. we had to throw to even have a chance to catch up. the colts, patriots, green bay, saints all use spread out formations, i know green bay is a WCO but they spreadtheir weapons out and there are usually plenty of people for rodgers to get the ball to. we have more weapons than them and we dont run plays like that because our coaches are unimaginitive. alex said in the interview after athe game that the coaches didnt call ANY explosive plays. and even if they did raye would just jumble them up. changes have to be made
I think we are naturally built for the triple option, think old style OK and Nebraska of the 70s or Georgia Tech last year. We just need to put all three RBs in the backfield and get rid of those extra receivers. 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

That downfield passing game is just not it's all cut out to be. It's just a fad, and real football teams don't run that gimmicky stuff.

Bring back old school.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

thats because we were down about 20 points. we have to use the spread from start to finish. we had to throw to even have a chance to catch up. the colts, patriots, green bay, saints all use spread out formations, i know green bay is a WCO but they spreadtheir weapons out and there are usually plenty of people for rodgers to get the ball to. we have more weapons than them and we dont run plays like that because our coaches are unimaginitive. alex said in the interview after athe game that the coaches didnt call ANY explosive plays. and even if they did raye would just jumble them up. changes have to be made

Won't happen. That's not Singletary's vision. He only uses the spread in desperate times. He wants to pound the rock no matter what. This draft confirms that ideology.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by fly15:
right system, wrong coach

all sing wants to do is pound the rock. that's the system. he hired jimmy raye to pound the rock. so really if that's the system they're running that they sure as f**k have the right coach and OC to run this team....into the ground.

FYI, last Sunday there were 45 pass attempts, and 19 rushing attempts.

They only passed that often because they got behind....by "pounding the rock" ineffectively in the first half...
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Won't happen. That's not Singletary's vision. He only uses the spread in desperate times. He wants to pound the rock no matter what. This draft confirms that ideology.

oh i know that bro but if his stubborn ass wants to keep his job he better make changes. last year with just a handful of spread plays we won five games and shouldve won a few more. we just didnt go spread until we were down about 20 points like in houston.
  • dj43

Your observations on those other teams are accurate but the 49ers did not make their draft selections based on ability to get clear in those types of offenses. 49er receivers MUST be good blockers first and then be pass receivers. Same thing with the OL, pounders first, then pass protectors. None of the current OL would work well in a run game that attempted to get backs around the corner. Drafting a CJ Spiller or Dexter McCluster with this offensive line would be a waste of talent.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

oh i know that bro but if his stubborn ass wants to keep his job he better make changes. last year with just a handful of spread plays we won five games and shouldve won a few more. we just didnt go spread until we were down about 20 points like in houston.

He is man of faith. He won't change. It's who he is. He's from the old school remember?

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by fly15:
right system, wrong coach

all sing wants to do is pound the rock. that's the system. he hired jimmy raye to pound the rock. so really if that's the system they're running that they sure as f**k have the right coach and OC to run this team....into the ground.

FYI, last Sunday there were 45 pass attempts, and 19 rushing attempts.

They only passed that often because they got behind....by "pounding the rock" ineffectively in the first half...

So you are acknowledging they change their game plan to match the situation, and do not stubbornely "pound the rock" when it isn't working.

Thanks for backing up my point that the stereotype of what they are trying to do doesn't always match reality off what happens in the games.
I dont know whats so hard about the entire situation. If you know teams are doing all they can to stop Gore it would seem logical to switch it up early and often. The more we switch it up the more effective the run game will be ultimately. Not rocket science. Us fans are soooooooooo damn frustrated its a shame.

Originally posted by dj43:
None of the current OL would work well in a run game that attempted to get backs around the corner.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Our linemen pull quite well, unfortunately they're as confused as a eunuch in a whore house once they get into open space. That's something that can be rectified by better coaching, I'd imagine.
Partially the system does not play to the strengths of our players. But we have been doing that for years. Also we are not prepared. We are an NFL team which can't get the plays in on time...
Was everything wrong last year vs. Minnesota and Indy? Bc thats pretty much the same team (definitely the same coaches), probably even better now than last years. People need to quit overreacting...we still got a whole season ahead of us to start wanting to change everything....GEEZ.

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 16, 2010 at 15:25:43 ]
Yes, Indeed
  • TFSP
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Was everything wrong last year vs. Minnesota and Indy? Bc thats pretty much the same team (definitely the same coaches), probably even better now than last years. People need to quit overreacting...we still got a whole season ahead of us to start wanting to change everything....GEEZ.

AGRREEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone