LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

What Happens When A Player Doesn't Understand Raye's Call?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This thread is not to discuss the contents of the article about Jimmy Raye calling the wrong plays. There's already a thread for that.

What I want to know is what happens when Raye calls a play (by the incorrect name) and a player in the package doesn't understand what play is being called? Say Raye calls a play that doesn't even exist, but most of the players figure out what he was trying to call and run the play the way it's supposed to be run, but one guy has no clue what he's supposed to be doing. What does he do?

I ask because I think it may have had something to do with Alex and Crabtree's miscommunication that resulted in the pick-6. Do these guys just improvise and hope they run the right route or make the correct block? Does Alex Smith have to figure out what the hell Raye is trying to call and make the correct call in the huddle? This could cause a lot of confusion and cause most plays to fail miserably.
They throw an interception because guys ran the wrong route because nobody understood the garbled message Raye sent in...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They throw an interception because guys ran the wrong route because nobody understood the garbled message Raye sent in...

Unfortunately, that sounds like a reasonable answer.

I don't have any doubt it resulted in many of the burned timeouts, but I'm thinking many of the plays that they didn't burn a timeout on, players didn't know what play was being ran and had to just try their best and improvise.

There's no way anyone can expect any offense to function like that.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 14, 2010 at 23:06:50 ]

Sing blames the headset not working correctly!

Unfortunately, The yorks don't want to spend the money for the upgrade...

[ Edited by iamtheman698 on Sep 14, 2010 at 23:07:44 ]
Originally posted by iamtheman698:

Well, apparently that's what happens after it's all said and done.
I don't think it's usually so much that he gets an incorrect call, it's that Johnson has to take a fairly long time deciphering what the hell Raye is actually trying to call so that it takes forever to reach Alex, for the most part anyways.

Except Singletary admitted that he was wrong about the headset and placed the blame on Raye during his KNBR interview.

[ Edited by norcal49er864 on Sep 14, 2010 at 23:09:24 ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I don't think it's usually so much that he gets an incorrect call, it's that Johnson has to take a fairly long time deciphering what the hell Raye is actually trying to call so that it takes forever to reach Alex, for the most part anyways.

While reading that article, I got the notion that Raye sometimes calls plays from "memory," meaning that he calls what he thinks is the play he wants, but has a completely different name. If he sends the call down late, and it's the wrong name, what if Mike Johnson doesn't have enough time to decipher Raye's call? Eventually, Alex gets a call and they go to the line anyway, but if Johnson doesn't have time to decipher the nonsense Raye is delivering and has to tell Alex exactly what Raye told him, I'm thinking players go to the line of scrimmage not know what the hell they're suppose to be doing.
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

Except Singletary admitted that he was wrong about the headset and placed the blame on Raye during his KNBR interview.

If the shoe fits..
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

To be honest I don't feel conformable with J. Raye as our OC. We really need someone who knows what they are doing.

We saw it this past Sunday.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
We saw it this past Sunday.

We saw what we though was very poor execution coupled with crappy play calling on Sunday. Now I'm beginning to think there's a possibility that they just didn't know what they were supposed to be doing - at no fault of their own.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

While reading that article, I got the notion that Raye sometimes calls plays from "memory," meaning that he calls what he thinks is the play he wants, but has a completely different name. If he sends the call down late, and it's the wrong name, what if Mike Johnson doesn't have enough time to decipher Raye's call? Eventually, Alex gets a call and they go to the line anyway, but if Johnson doesn't have time to decipher the nonsense Raye is delivering and has to tell Alex exactly what Raye told him, I'm thinking players go to the line of scrimmage not know what the hell they're suppose to be doing.

I'm thinking that's the case as well. Anyone else notice how often Alex is telling the TEs, WRs, and/or backs where to line up? Too often many of the players appear confused before the snap, which obviously does not bode well for the action that occurs after the snap.
Singletary has a suggestion box that has a pneumatic tube going to the dump.
Originally posted by prometheus:
Singletary has a suggestion box that has a pneumatic tube going to the dump.

Share 49ersWebzone