LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Lets Go with What Works

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Last year Alex Smith excelled in the shotgun/spread offense. Why not go back to that, especially now against the saints? Establish the pass to get the run going....a west coast offense philosphy. Everyone knows our game plan to run Gore, but our line just isn't getting it done right now. I think we should go to the spread offense and have Gore/Westbrook or Dixon go out into the flats on some plays and have the saints defense guess who's going to get the ball. We have weapons on this team and we need to use them. What good are they if they sit on the sideline? With Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Gore, and Westbrook on the field at the same time that will put pressure on the saints defense. Alex seems to do better while in the shotgun anyway.

My point is lets not play our normal gameplan against the saints. Let them think we're gonna run all day but we don't. Our defense is good, but which defense will show up on monday night? The defense in seattle or the defense that shut down AZ last year? The saints are going to throw the ball, almost gaurantee it, and if all we do is try to establish the run, we will definitely lose.

I've been listening to sports talk radio since Sunday and everyday is talk that the Niners got issues, the niners are exploding within themselves, the seahawks are going to win the West because Hasselbeck is the best QB in the division, blah blah blah.......Lets prove all the critics wrong.

All you fans attending the game Monday Night need to be loud as hell!! Show the saints that the seattle game was a fluke!! If we're going to prove to the league that we are better than week 1, the time to prove it is Monday Night.

[ Edited by Baldie on Sep 14, 2010 at 21:17:54 ]
That would make too much sense. This team has an uncanny knack for doing what doesn't work...
now why would we do a silly thing like play to our players strengths?
Love the idea man, but let's be realistic here..

Jimmy Raye and Mike Singletary are out of tune dumbf**ks
Jimmy Raye memorizes all the offensive schemes that work...and does the opposite..
I've been screaming for this since last year. It takes us being down 20+ points before Singletary and Jimmy Raye drop their 1985 style of offense. Frank Gore won't be offended by this when we're scoring points and he's having decent games. We all can see Alex can't adapt, but Frank can. WAKE UP SINGLETARY. Move your season-wrecking pride aside and start out with our strengths! f**king god damnit.
elmer fudd vs doc holiday
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Thats the problem....I like Sing, I like the emotion and motivation he brings to the team...but dayam...get with the NFL of NOW...this is a passing league. Most defenses now are set up to stop the run, prime example is our D. All the playoff teams of this decade have passing attackes, something we lack. Gore will get his moments and yards, but most of the time it won't be enough to win. We are not going to beat the Saints by running the ball, thats for sure.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I've been screaming for this since last year. It takes us being down 20+ points before Singletary and Jimmy Raye drop their 1985 style of offense. Frank Gore won't be offended by this when we're scoring points and he's having decent games. We all can see Alex can't adapt, but Frank can. WAKE UP SINGLETARY. Move your season-wrecking pride aside and start out with our strengths! f**king god damnit.

It's not just Smith, Crabs played in a spread in college, Vernon would do great split out wide(and some of his TDs came last year when we went spread trying to get points quickly), Ginn's speed would be best utilized on WR screens and more routes down the field, Morgan's mainly a posession WR and we could use him more, etc. Westbrook can catch passes and be split out wide or run from the shotgun. It makes more sense IMO to go spread more of the time but Jimmy Raye and Sing won't do it based on principal alone, cuz "we want to run the ball and be a fysical team".
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Thats the problem....I like Sing, I like the emotion and motivation he brings to the team...but dayam...get with the NFL of NOW...this is a passing league. Most defenses now are set up to stop the run, prime example is our D. All the playoff teams of this decade have passing attackes, something we lack. Gore will get his moments and yards, but most of the time it won't be enough to win. We are not going to beat the Saints by running the ball, thats for sure.

Yep, I feel that same way.

coach singletary has assured the ownership that we will keep smash mouth running.
Originally posted by jed_york:
coach singletary has assured the ownership that we will keep smash mouth running.
People are so in the moment. You've got to ignore all the media noise. Truly, it is just noise. No less than four days ago, that very same media had us believing the Seahawks were in total disarray. And I, living in Seattle, know the sports guys on the radio even believed the same thing. But then again, they're part of the media.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jed_york:

Well....its gonna be a long day for sure. Saints will just stack the line and pressure Alex just like the Seahawks did. Saints didn't blitz one bit against the Vikings because Favre has the ability to make the big play, but thats not going to happen in Candlestick.
I think it might have to do with he o line. Hard to go spread with 2 rookies and Baas who might not be up on all the protection calls just yet. We see how easy it is for teams to rattle smith by overloading one side of the o line and bringing that pressure. Either way they gotta come with something better than what they showed. I'm all for it.
Share 49ersWebzone