LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Singletary about Crabtree, "This year you need to learn the playbook"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Singletary suggested that the relative success Crabtree had last year after joining the 49ers in early October also may have played a role. "He came in and he did relatively well," Singletary said. "He didn't have a whole lot to learn. It was just a small handful of plays he had to learn. ... This year you have to learn the playbook. And I'm not sure at Texas Tech they had a playbook. Some teams that run the spread, they really don't have a playbook."

He said Crabtree - who celebrates his 23rd birthday today - needed time to mature. "I'm not going to throw Crabtree under the bus and start saying he's the reason we lost the game," Singletary said.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/09/singletary-bull.html#ixzz0zXpW0L6e

Damn I guess Vernon just popped off a hot topic the last few weeks. I can't believe Sing is taking this many shots at him in the media like this.

[ Edited by global_nomad on Sep 14, 2010 at 15:19:15 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I thought you actually wrote a song for him.

Singletary needs to learn to keep his f**king mouth shut when reporters are around. Keep it in-house!
Originally posted by susweel:

lol I can't understand how Singletary can say look at Smith, Davis, the rookies are great, and then he totally ripped into them after the game. If you are going to say these guys are leading by example you don't shoot them down after the game no matter how bad they play. Now everyone is going to fear being ripped in front of their peers if they make a mistake.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Singletary needs to learn to keep his f**king mouth shut when reporters are around. Keep it in-house!

Yup.
Crabby was born 2 days after me
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by global_nomad:

lol I can't understand how Singletary can say look at Smith, Davis, the rookies are great, and then he totally ripped into them after the game. If you are going to say these guys are leading by example you don't shoot them down after the game no matter how bad they play. Now everyone is going to fear being ripped in front of their peers if they make a mistake.

Yah I agree Sing needs to STFU. I also thought his comments about Nate Davis to the media was low class, as well as his comments about Mrob after he was cut.
My problem is this. Two weeks ago it was Davis who did not know the playbook and now it is Crabtree and Nate who according to another article was lost in a gray area on that defensive play where he jumped the route. How is it that this team gets through the off season, training camp to the first game and players not know the playbook? I would think that postion coaches would be assigned to periodically make sure that the players know the playbook AND make sure that they are up to speed. I know that its ultimately the players' responsibility, at the same time,it is just as much as the coaches responsibility too. To present the playbook and wait to the final exam seems a bit odd to me.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I think he has kept his mouth shut for a long time and he cant find any other way to get these f**kers to play up to their potential. I mean, this is getting more rediculous by the way, no other teams have these problems. what player doenst know the playbook and plays in the regular season game?
I guess Crabtree's expressed desire to be the best was just talk. I mean what elite player ever said "oh I did really good without any training camp last year, I don't need to learn the playbook or work on chemistry with my QB." Elite players are always working to get better no matter how good they are already.

You can't really learn the playbook during the season so it'll pretty much be like last year all over again. Not the #1, go to target we desperately need. That's a real bummer.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Crabby was born 2 days after me

One for me...got ya beat

Yah I agree Sing needs to STFU. I also thought his comments about Nate Davis to the media was low class, as well as his comments about Mrob after he was cut.

GUYS...guess who his mentor is?? Big mouth Mike Nolan, the king of throwing people under the bus

Guess who Alex Smith learned this from?? Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan.....alex smith not out right admitting that he screwed up that 1yd pass to moran norris and instead saying norris did something wrong by getting excited and turning around cuz he's wide open

what a joke. Mike Nolan is still with us.

Kill us now
That just about answers all questions on Alex Smith also: He never used a playbook prior to the NFL!!!!!!!!!

Sing is toeing that fine line with the players.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Sing is toeing that fine line with the players.

I was thinking this same thing. Why does he even need to tell the media anything at all? Sing going to the media for help is a desperate move. No HC in control would ever invite the media in if a problem was present. That would be the last thing you would want.

This season is already hanging on a thread after one game. WTF.
Originally posted by iLL49er:

GUYS...guess who his mentor is?? Big mouth Mike Nolan, the king of throwing people under the bus

Guess who Alex Smith learned this from?? Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan.....alex smith not out right admitting that he screwed up that 1yd pass to moran norris and instead saying norris did something wrong by getting excited and turning around cuz he's wide open

what a joke. Mike Nolan is still with us.

Kill us now

How exactly did Alex Smith not take responsibility for the missed touchdown the Norris?
Share 49ersWebzone