There are 153 users in the forums

Alex Smith Doesn't want to call his own plays?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i farted
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i eat paste
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Doesnt want to call ALL his own plays. Any QB who says he does want to call all his own plays is full of s**t or cocky as hell. There arent many QB's who would want that added burden... how often would they call a run? NEVER... and how quickly would that turn on him... faster than Seatle signs cut 49ers.

There is a lot that can be read into that... and I read that he doesn't want to call ALL the plays... not that he doesn't want to call plays. I assure you if he could he would be in the shotgun with 3 wrs throwing all game. I think he was saying the right thing... it also shows that he has faith (real or not) in the coaches calling plays - thats their job.
I love lamp
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I don't think even Peyton Manning calls all his own plays.
Originally posted by STNiner:
WTF? Is he serious?

By no means whatsoever is this a Alex bashing thread, but correct me if im wrong, isn't it every QB's dream to be able to go into a game and call their own plays?

Smith was open to ideas on how to solve the problem. Of Raye moving to the sideline, he said, “I don’t know if that’s the answer, but I certainly think it’s something to look at.” He mentioned wearing a wristband, with plays listed, to help speed up the process. He discussed a scenario in which he could call his own play, if one hadn’t arrived with about 24 seconds left on the play clock. Smith isn’t comfortable with the idea of calling all of his own plays.[/b]

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100913/sports/100919814?p=2&tc=pg

that is not his exact words and is taking it out of context a little. it is more like this

Here are some of the solutions:

+Take offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye out of the booth and put him on the sidelines where he can transmit the play directly in to the Smith's helmet. Plays must come in from the sidelines and not the booth, so Raye relays the call to quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson who then sends it to Smith. Should Raye take to the sidelines, the middle man is eliminated.

+Put the numbered plays on a wrist band and instead of communicating a long play such as "X call, hustle 2, I right slot, two man counter easy," three times, Raye simply calls out a number that Smith cross checks on his wrist band with the play that's being called. So then Smith is the only one communicating the entire play, which saves time and confusion.

+Make a set time when Smith eschews the call coming in and simply calls his own play. "We've talked about that," Smith said. For example, if Smith doesn't get the play with 24 seconds left on the clock, he then calls the play himself.

+Putting the play-calling, at times, completely into Smith's hands. That's not something Smith would like to do all the time. "I have to do a lot already," he said. "That's why we have an offensive coordinator."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72189#ixzz0zT7374ho

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Sep 13, 2010 at 19:54:04 ]
i wish he would he is acually good at that
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i wish he would he is acually good at that
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by STNiner:
WTF? Is he serious?

By no means whatsoever is this a Alex bashing thread, but correct me if im wrong, isn't it every QB's dream to be able to go into a game and call their own plays?

Smith was open to ideas on how to solve the problem. Of Raye moving to the sideline, he said, “I don’t know if that’s the answer, but I certainly think it’s something to look at.” He mentioned wearing a wristband, with plays listed, to help speed up the process. He discussed a scenario in which he could call his own play, if one hadn’t arrived with about 24 seconds left on the play clock. Smith isn’t comfortable with the idea of calling all of his own plays.[/b]

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100913/sports/100919814?p=2&tc=pg

that is not his exact words and is taking it out of context a little. it is more like this

Here are some of the solutions:

+Take offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye out of the booth and put him on the sidelines where he can transmit the play directly in to the Smith's helmet. Plays must come in from the sidelines and not the booth, so Raye relays the call to quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson who then sends it to Smith. Should Raye take to the sidelines, the middle man is eliminated.

+Put the numbered plays on a wrist band and instead of communicating a long play such as "X call, hustle 2, I right slot, two man counter easy," three times, Raye simply calls out a number that Smith cross checks on his wrist band with the play that's being called. So then Smith is the only one communicating the entire play, which saves time and confusion.

+Make a set time when Smith eschews the call coming in and simply calls his own play. "We've talked about that," Smith said. For example, if Smith doesn't get the play with 24 seconds left on the clock, he then calls the play himself.

+Putting the play-calling, at times, completely into Smith's hands. That's not something Smith would like to do all the time. "I have to do a lot already," he said. "That's why we have an offensive coordinator."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72189#ixzz0zT7374ho

First of all, he's right, why have an offensive coordinator if he can't handle the job of calling the plays?

Secondly, I thank Smith for his honesty. Let's face it, Peyton Manning he is not. I for one, don't want him calling his own plays unless it's an emergency situation...
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by Redeemer:
Originally posted by cubanb:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
i dont know how this proves hes not comfortable calling his own plays

Quote:
Smith isn’t comfortable with the idea of calling all of his own plays.

lol

this is an opinion of a journalist, not fact.

thank you!

the problem is stop being consertive and stretch the field get everyone involved. not just gore
Anyone know if the press den journalist ate paint chips as a kid?
I wish Alex would use you his legs more and run to keep the chain moving. He has the ability but he's not using it. What a waste!!!
because he likes to blame his coaches and get them fired instead.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
i like turtles

o you like our offense?
Share 49ersWebzone