LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

Stop blaming Alex Smith!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
His name shouldn't come up until you're finished screaming about Jimmy Raye and Michael Crabtree.

Yea, he didn't play great yesterday after starting off 9 for 9. But who remembers who his first incompletion was to? That's right. It was a pass to Michael Crabtree. Crabtree should have caught the pass but it was wrestled away from him by the defender due to poor body position and effort. And for those who want to defend Crabtree, I'll point out that Seattle's un-drafted WR made the same catch in yesterday's game.

Moving along, Crabtree dropped a short pass that would have converted a third down and kept the 49ers moving down the field at the end of the first half. Instead, Crabtree's dropped pass turned into an INT and then seven points for Seattle. At this point in the game we had more than twice Seattle's offensive yardage and first downs. Yet we found ourselves down 14-6. Had Crabtree not caused that turnover, that Smith is now being blasted for on ESPN and NFL Network, we'd be going into the half with, at worst, a 6-7 score.

Remember Crabtree is the guy who has held out for money, skimped out on practice, and remained cocky throughout all of it. This is a guy who dropped crucial passes last year including an opening series TD against Chicago. It is his routine mental errors that routinely make Smith look bad. Tell me, if you're Smith, do you have confidence in Crabtree? Sure, he makes very nice plays, but to date, he has made a lot more costly errors than he has beneficial plays.

As for Jimmy Raye, well, he can't get the plays in on time. In turn, our offense keeps losing its rhythm and stalling drives. It is absurd, and it would fluster any QB.

Last, I want to comment on the Moran Norris pass. a) What was up with the play call? It was 4th and 6". There was no reason to not pound the ball in behind Iupati. At that point in the game, Seattle had 9 yards of offense on two possessions. b) Norris should have caught the pass. Yes, it was high. But it was entirely catchable.
yay! another thread about this! so necessary!
  • mod
  • Veteran
TL;DR

seriously, dude: start a blog or something. we don't need a new thread from you each time you have a thought about the team.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Doh! Beat me to it!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The Alexecuses are still out there.

I feel sorry for you.
Originally posted by susweel:

I feel sorry for you.

I though Alex Smith was pretty disappointing yesterday as was the rest of the team. I'm just tired of everyone putting all of the blame on him. The coaching and WR play was awful yesterday. And why didn't we run more than ten yard crossing routes against Seattle's very poor secondary? It was pathetic.
looks like we still have some holdouts huh. Poor suckers.

Actually as one of the long time Alex Haters. I put more than a couple of names above Alex Smith's in yesterdays loss.

Here is the problem though. Alex supporters have a tendency to always look at things very narrowly.

Alex Smith was only the 4th worst problem in this loss
Alex Smith was only the 3rd worst problem in this loss
Alex Smith was only the 5th worst problem in this loss

and on and on and on.

It is imperative that a true Niner fan not ignore any players body of work while only concentrating on any single game.

Once again, Alex Smith played QB for the Niners in a losing game. He has been part of Niner losses since 2005. How many other current Niners can you say that about?

You have to take your blinders off and start factoring in his entire career. If you do that, you will definitely find plenty of blame for Alex Smith

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

I feel sorry for you.

I though Alex Smith was pretty disappointing yesterday as was the rest of the team. I'm just tired of everyone putting all of the blame on him. The coaching and WR play was awful yesterday. And why didn't we run more than ten yard crossing routes against Seattle's very poor secondary? It was pathetic.

Its part of the game man. The QB gets way to much credit when you win and gets way to much blame if you lose.

He also gets to bone the head cheerleader and prom queen. It just goes with territory.
man i use to defend this guy also for the last 5 freakin years but he sucks just admit it already,damn whats it gonna take he always is way off target when he scrambles he never can make anything happen,he shows no emotion whatsoever,but for every 4 bad passes he has one 15 yard strike and everyone thinks ok now hes got it this is the turn around but it wont be.Like I said Ive also bean an apologist but damn I can only lie to myself for so long!!!
Originally posted by danimal:

Actually as one of the long time Alex Haters. I put more than a couple of names above Alex Smith's in yesterdays loss.

Here is the problem though. Alex supporters have a tendency to always look at things very narrowly.

and on and on and on.

It is imperative that a true Niner fan not ignore any players body of work while only concentrating on any single game.

Once again, Alex Smith played QB for the Niners in a losing game. He has been part of Niner losses since 2005. How many other current Niners can you say that about?

You have to take your blinders off and start factoring in his entire career. If you do that, you will definitely find plenty of blame for Alex Smith

Alex Smith helped improve the team in 2006 and 2009, the two years he was healthy and in a decent (far from great) situation. That is the truth. At the same time, I can still acknowledge that he hasn't lived up to expectations. But blaming him for Morgan not getting his feet down, Norris not catching a feathery lob above his head, etc. is BULL****! Those plays need to be made. They're made in my flag football league...
Originally posted by danimal:

and on and on and on.

Alex Smith helped improve the team in 2006 and 2009, the two years he was healthy and in a decent (far from great) situation. That is the truth. At the same time, I can still acknowledge that he hasn't lived up to expectations. But blaming him for Morgan not getting his feet down, Norris not catching a feathery lob above his head, etc. is BULL****! Those plays need to be made. They're made in my flag football league...

Wow, you're clueless.

I feel sorry for you.

Its part of the game man. The QB gets way to much credit when you win and gets way to much blame if you lose.

He also gets to bone the head cheerleader and prom queen. It just goes with territory.

There is nothing more annoying to me than hearing, "That is just the way things are." When people say that, I say, "Yea, that is the way they are on TV." But we're poeple and we can think for ourselves and we can reason and use logic. That is what I advocate for and nothing more. I'm not making excuses for Smith, I'm just saying, "Be reasonable."

Smith and the rest of the team looked dominant early, but our inability to score in short yardage situations suffocated our momentum and allowed Seattle to hang in the game. After that, Crabtree put us in a hole and then Singletary and Raye finished us off. At no point did the Seahawks beat us yesterday. We were our own worst enemies, and I'm sure as fans, we're all sick of it.
Share 49ersWebzone