Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by mayo63:
What I really cannot wrap my head around is why we just don't run a hybrid spread formation. Because it offends Frank Gore? Because Mike Singletary doesn't believe it's "real" football? Well what the f**k!!! It's the ONLY WAY OUR QB CAN SUCCEED. I do NOT understand why we don't just do it? Frank Gore is a supreme talent -- he can adapt to running out of shotgun. Alex Smith is proving that he really cannot adapt. Time to change, Singletary. WAKE UP! Save our season before it's too late!

I think they want to see how the two rookies affect the running game. If it doesn't work I can see them going back to more spread. That's where Alex excells, but will he be around long enough for that to haopen.

This makes 0 sense to me. Will he be around long enough? He'll be here this entire year. Make it so that we win with him. Our linemen block and they will do it well whether Alex is under center or not. They'll adapt to the running game when we run out of shotgun. Our QB does not play well under center. After 6 years I've finally accepted it. What will it take, 5 more losses? Us to be down by 30? Our season to be lost? I was shocked that we were down 22 points in the 4th and we literally kept 2 WR, 2 TE sets going. WHAT THE f**k!!! We need to start fast and not ever let up. Give Frank the ball on screens, on dump-offs, on hand-offs. Out. Of. Shotgun. Alex is holding us back. Ask yourself this: What gets Alex going? Answer: Shotgun spread formations. MAKE THE CHANGE.

I don't know, can Carr or T. Smith run the spead? I guess they'd have to learn to.

What? If we run the spread, Alex plays his best. Those two won't sniff the field... I'm just saying why force a player to play a way he obviously cannot play. We need to save our season by just running game schemes that fit his ability. We still have a talented team, but if we are handicapped, then what's the point? The main thing is that we know what cancels out the handicap: Shotgun formations. Alex plays SO much better in it! But no, Singletary is stubborn and has to play 1985 football. Stubbornness is an awful trait in the NFL, and Singletary has proved he is great at it.

Because Sing wants this to be a running team, with Gore as the main attraction. Smith is just there to manage the game and it's obvious he doesn't have what it takes to be an Elite Qb. He's not even good right now.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
if we are gonna fire anyone based on this one game than half the team should go.

Everyone was loving Raye in the 1st quarter, than the players couldnt execute...catch... block...defend...tackle...I think the blame should be on the players too.

Thing about it though... As I watched I could almost guess which plays. I mean, NO off-tackle runs?! How does anyone succeed in the NFL like that? In no way am I saying fire Jimmy Raye right now -- at least wait till the offseason -- but we need to change our philosophy. But our QB in a place to succeed for our TEAM (in the spread). Then we look to the draft/FA for a new QB after our season is over.
What I really cannot wrap my head around is why we just don't run a hybrid spread formation. Because it offends Frank Gore? Because Mike Singletary doesn't believe it's "real" football? Well what the f**k!!! It's the ONLY WAY OUR QB CAN SUCCEED. I do NOT understand why we don't just do it? Frank Gore is a supreme talent -- he can adapt to running out of shotgun. Alex Smith is proving that he really cannot adapt. Time to change, Singletary. WAKE UP! Save our season before it's too late!

I think they want to see how the two rookies affect the running game. If it doesn't work I can see them going back to more spread. That's where Alex excells, but will he be around long enough for that to haopen.

This makes 0 sense to me. Will he be around long enough? He'll be here this entire year. Make it so that we win with him. Our linemen block and they will do it well whether Alex is under center or not. They'll adapt to the running game when we run out of shotgun. Our QB does not play well under center. After 6 years I've finally accepted it. What will it take, 5 more losses? Us to be down by 30? Our season to be lost? I was shocked that we were down 22 points in the 4th and we literally kept 2 WR, 2 TE sets going. WHAT THE f**k!!! We need to start fast and not ever let up. Give Frank the ball on screens, on dump-offs, on hand-offs. Out. Of. Shotgun. Alex is holding us back. Ask yourself this: What gets Alex going? Answer: Shotgun spread formations. MAKE THE CHANGE.

I don't know, can Carr or T. Smith run the spead? I guess they'd have to learn to.

What? If we run the spread, Alex plays his best. Those two won't sniff the field... I'm just saying why force a player to play a way he obviously cannot play. We need to save our season by just running game schemes that fit his ability. We still have a talented team, but if we are handicapped, then what's the point? The main thing is that we know what cancels out the handicap: Shotgun formations. Alex plays SO much better in it! But no, Singletary is stubborn and has to play 1985 football. Stubbornness is an awful trait in the NFL, and Singletary has proved he is great at it.

Because Sing wants this to be a running team, with Gore as the main attraction. Smith is just there to manage the game and it's obvious he doesn't have what it takes to be an Elite Qb. He's not even good right now.

That's exactly what I'm saying. And I'm saying Singletary needs to wake up and realize we're not going to win that way. Especially with Raye calling HB Dive every time it's a running play. We can still run the ball out of shotgun -- and we can run a hybrid spread.. Still formations with 2 TE, 2 WR sets and I-formation plays as well. But why not go for some shotgun on 1st down? We literally play 2 WR every time on 1st down. How does that make it hard on the defense?!!?

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Sep 13, 2010 at 16:29:24 ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Let Mike Johnson call plays and game plan until the end of the season, clean house and hire a Vet coach next year, pick up a decent Journeymen QB and look to draft the best available QB next season, I can't believe we are one game into the year and I am already looking forward to next year. I am so pissed I let myself start thinking we had a chance, I have never had faith inSing of Smith, but I so badly want to win I started sipping the kool-aid, now I'm pissed! As for Manuskey I hear a lot of great things but did not see any from him on sunday!

No, I say we let Jimmy Raye stay on as OC until the end of the season, but if we are at 1-4 or 0-5, strip him of his play-calling duties.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Chico49er, where in Chico are you at? I'm in North Chico, off of East and Cohasset.

No s**t! I actually graduated from Chico State last May. I lived at 2nd and Ivy, right across from the new admin building, for my final 2 years there. I actually was in town this past weekend -- stayed at 4th and Hazel (the Peach Pit). I'm still recovering haha. But now I'm in San Jose

Yeah, I used to go to Players every Sunday to watch the 49ers. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I think it's still there. Hazel, ha? Used to pass there all the time coming from Mangrove before going to Town Lounge. Way to go, man. Go Niners.
Great! I will meet everyone at 4949 Centennial Blvd. in 5!

Originally posted by 49erWill:
if we are gonna fire anyone based on this one game than half the team should go.

Everyone was loving Raye in the 1st quarter, than the players couldnt execute...catch... block...defend...tackle...I think the blame should be on the players too.

I don't disagree. At the same time, how is it possible that Raye still hasn't figured out how to get the plays in on time? This is two years running now, and it has been a very costly problem. He needs to be fired because he has proven he isn't up to the task of calling plays in a timely fashion that is required of an OC on Sundays.
I have been a Smith supporter and Jimmy Raye supporter. I definitely supported both of these guys coming back for some continuity. But Smith over threw Norris, then overthrew Crabtree for a pick 6 and had the audacity to smile when he was on the sidelines. Add the fact that Raye could not scheme, call the plays to get our team back in the game. Plus, get the plays in fast enough. I have finally given up on these two. They officially suck balls. I am pretty surprised that after one game this team could be in this much turmoil. Only one person can be blamed for this and that is the head coach.
I became disillusioned with Raye early last season, but was willing to swallow the bitter pill of another season with him calling plays because I thought that’s what was needed to improve the Niner offense, and particularly Alex Smith. After the first game, I’m starting to think maybe the Niners should have taken the red pill. Overall, I thought Raye called a better game than many of the previous games last season, but the execution simply wasn’t there for the offense. But, it still doesn’t seem like the Niner offense game plans to exploit the weaknesses in a defense, has any kind of rhythm, has the opposing defense off balance, nor does it adjust to what a defense is allowing. Instead, the Niner offense seems hell bent on projecting their will onto opposing defenses.

As for Smith, horrible game. I guess I drank a bit too much of the Kool-Aid during the off-season and expected a “New and Improved!” Alex Smith. He didn’t show much of anything this game and certainly nothing to warrant starting QB status.

Nonetheless, it’s only the first game of the season, and it’s probably too late and a bit premature to dump either one, if that makes any sense. In other words, it’s not time to hit the panic button just yet.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
It is pathetic that we don't get plays to the field on time and we are a NFL team. Same s**t happened last year, someone has to hang and the problem needs to be fixed yesterday.

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
There is no excuse at this point in time for getting plays in late. These errors cost us games last year and they've already costed us one division game this season. We left three touchdown off of the board yesterday in the first quarter and to find out it was mostly because we didn't get plays in on time is extremely frustrating. It was our inability to convert early that swung the momentum and turned a game that looked like a sure blowout in our favor, to a blowout over us.

I'll be disappointed if Jimmy is our OC next Sunday. He isn't up to the task and probably shouldn't have ever been hired. And on a similar note, it is time to replace our WRs coach. When our WRs finished their routes yesterday, they mostly just stood in place. I don't know how many times Alex Smith was left to throw at nothing but stationary, guarded targets.

I want to close by saying that if you perceive this thread as an overreaction, fear not. I defended Jimmy Raye last season despite his shortcomings, but hearing that he still can't get the plays in on time is inexcusable and means he needs to be replaced.

You're right, Jimmy was soo off target on all those passes. I still can't believe Jimmy would miss a completely wide open Norris in the end zone or that he would looked so inaccurate on pass after pass. Do you remember when he got that intentional grounding penalty; that was embarrassing.
indeed!! raye is sooo sux!!! he is too old that he can't work for homework on offense score! he is very too old....
Can we lock this thread? I didn't mean to add to the negativity of this board. But for the love of whatever Jimmy Raye believes in, can he please get the calls in on time for the remainder of the season? That shouldn't be too much to ask based on what these guys are paid.
We have had Montana gold and Rice a roni and now we have SF smelt. SF may need a new sewage plant for this smelt. Have a belt of this smelt. Hahahah Mike Smelt how bad? blooody damn awful!!!
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
There is no excuse at this point in time for getting plays in late. These errors cost us games last year and they've already costed us one division game this season. We left three touchdown off of the board yesterday in the first quarter and to find out it was mostly because we didn't get plays in on time is extremely frustrating. It was our inability to convert early that swung the momentum and turned a game that looked like a sure blowout in our favor, to a blowout over us.

I'll be disappointed if Jimmy is our OC next Sunday. He isn't up to the task and probably shouldn't have ever been hired. And on a similar note, it is time to replace our WRs coach. When our WRs finished their routes yesterday, they mostly just stood in place. I don't know how many times Alex Smith was left to throw at nothing but stationary, guarded targets.

The niners are the posers of the nfl. THere coordinator sucks, their quarterback sucks, there clueless x's and o's rah rah coach sucks. How embarassing when at the podium today they are addressing the headset issue just like last year. Burning time outs. This team is a complete cluster f.ck and im embarrased to say ive been a fan for over 20 years. Right now most teams are concerned about cohesiveness and game shape. Were still concerned about clock managemnt and non working receivers in the helmets. EMBARASSING. This team is overhyped. THeir 2 biggest needs in offseason were ol,db and qb. They adrressed 1 and the other 2 were exposed yesterday. YOu really think thats going to change. I guarantee smith is out by the 6th week. Back up in and rebuild for the next 3. NINERS ARE PATHETIC AND LIKE I SAID IN ANOTHER THREAD> THE WARRIORS OF THE WEST.
I want to close by saying that if you perceive this thread as an overreaction, fear not. I defended Jimmy Raye last season despite his shortcomings, but hearing that he still can't get the plays in on time is inexcusable and means he needs to be replaced.
Share 49ersWebzone