There are 177 users in the forums

How Did the Oline Do During the Game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I care whether we win or lose but I am more concerned with the growth and development of the team. Did the Oline play well considering the circumstances? How did Iupati and Davis do? Did they open any holes or were they in total shock from the crowd noise? Did they take the next step in their development as an offsnsive line?
Taking Gore's numbers into account, they didn't do well at all. Only noticeable for me was all the A.Davis f'ups.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
If they would have created some push or running lanes for Frank Gore we would not be all freaking out today because we would of won that game. It would have opened up the offense and spread the defense, our line stood upright and did below average.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Taking Gore's numbers into account, they didn't do well at all. Only noticeable for me was all the A.Davis f'ups.

Davis played ok considering he is a rookie playing his first game in load road stadium.

Joe Staley looked pretty shaky to me, he was getting beat by some no name players.
How about Iupati and Baas?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Baas did ok, but I didnt really sea any beastly push from Iupati.
like everybody else, bad

Iupati was a disappointment based on how well he played in preseason. He made a lot of mistakes and didn't do anything that I saw that was a noticeable positive.

I only say Baas make one mistake, totally acceptable for a full game. However, like the rest of the line, I didn't see him actually beat his man at all on running plays.
Played to high and just got beat to the punch. Robinson, Brich and Mac had a big part in the Seachickens hitting us first. You could tell they knew our every move.
Originally posted by susweel:

Baas did ok, but I didnt really sea any beastly push from Iupati.

Yea Iupati looked worse than Davis. guys were just getting lower and beating him. On that run from Norris on the goal line was designed to run behind Iupati for the TD but Iupati whiffed on the block and his man was 1st to hit Norris. He pulls well but he doesn't get low at all. Just gotta teach him that this isn't college gotta get low and dip on the defender your not just gonna bull a guy over b/c you are bigger.

We really can't tell if Baas made all the correct protection calls.

Staley was getting abused by Clemons.

Overall they looked just like last year. Very slow footed. Smaller defenders are just getting lower and plugging the holes. They will need time to gel, but I believe they will improve.

Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Played to high and just got beat to the punch. Robinson, Brich and Mac had a big part in the Seachickens hitting us first. You could tell they knew our every move.

If they knew our every move then we did not adjust at all. Like all things we need a backup plan just in case they were anticipating our moves.

Do you see any hope of improving our Oline play?

Did Snyder play his normal poor play or did he do his job well?
fairly decent in the 1st half on pass protection but on running plays - they just looked like they were always getting beat off the snap by the Defense. I'll attribute that to the crowd noise and their fear of the false start.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Davis played ok considering he is a rookie playing his first game in load road stadium.

Joe Staley looked pretty shaky to me, he was getting beat by some no name players.

Didn't Staley get hurt in preseason? Maybe he is not fully recovered because I haven't seen him play this bad in a long time.
no1 in our o line even had an average game every1 was crap reason why smith got barely nay time and gore got like no yds
  • dj43
Baas did not get any push for the most part. Seattle Mebane on him a good bit of the time. Mebane is quicker and neutralized Baas much of the time.

Rachal was decent early in the game, then suffered a stinger and was either out or ineffective the rest of the game. Wragge replaced him and did quite well.

Iupati was too aggressive most of the time. He would charge out after his block which would allow the slanting Seattle line to penetrate through the gap he left. I don't know whether the gaps were all his fault, or the wrong blocking calls by Baas, or the fact Baas is not quick enough to move laterally to fill the gap. Likely there was some of each on different occasions.

Davis had a very off and on game, as you might expect from a rookie. He gave up a sack or two, but also had some good movement as well.

Staley played reasonably well but was beaten for a very visible hit on Smith.

A big problem with the OL as the game went along, was that the play calls came in so late that the play clock was on, or near zero much of the time when the ball was snapped. This made it very easy for Seattle's DL to anticipate the snap and fire off, very often even before the 49er line could set up. Seattle just owned the LOS as a result.

Overall I would give the OL a D for the game. Smith had a good pocket early but Seattle adjusted and took away the pocket as the game progressed. The run blocking was poor. see my thread on man blocking versus zone. I think it is on the second page by now.
Share 49ersWebzone