LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 177 users in the forums

why i think it starts with singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nooj:
We were all fooled into thinking continuity was the best route to go. It was just an excuse to do absolutey jack sh*t to improve our team.

I've been hopefully optimistic on Alex, but I didn't feel that he deserved to be given the starting job with absolutely no competition during the offseason. David Carr shouldn't even be in a position to be sniffing a 1st string job. And that was our move?

I'm tired of the team being unprepared for this and that, then excuses and more excuses. My patience is wearing thin and as a supporter of Singletary from day one, his loyalty to Jimmy Raye bothers me the most.

It's clear to even the novice viewer, such as myself, that the offense just isn't getting it done. They are still working on basics, like getting the play in on time!

You may say I'm over-reacting. But I've seen enough and I am convinced, this coaching tree doesn't have what it takes to win a Superbowl.

Thank You
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In a nearby thread, i posted that bigmike(BM), which has other connotations, and JR, just flat aren't smart enough to be HC and OC. JR's gameplans(?) speak for themselves. BM is another matter. GOAT LB, terrific motivater, and .... that's the problem, there is no "there" there. He is a superb LB coach (p 52 all pro), and he has coached, unhh, unh.....well let's see: not QBs, nor RBs, not WRs or TEs, and not OLs. Nor has he coached DL, DBs and certainly never was an OC or DC, and never GM. His total experience prior to here? LB coach under ....yup, lil mikeynoln, a paragon of football intelligence. That's it guys, that is BMs total sum of NFL coaching experience. Is there any man jack of you out there that really believed he could skate like that and come out a winner? Jeepers, creepers, it is like a guy wanting to practice medicine, works in an ambulance for a couple of yrs and hangs out a sign "Doctor".

No reasonable person should ever have expected anything more from BM than what we got. On the positive side, he WAS what was needed after a bad case of noln, er-wreckson/donashole...he picked this team up off its back and help accumulate talent. He did not , however, surround himself with coaching talent, Manusky excepted, but he was already here. To bring in a retread like JR was a glaring mistake, but BM wanted someone who would take orders, nothing more. Also BM didn't have to worry about someone absconding with JR...and for good reason.

So i put it to you. He has completed his mission of talent restoration, altho we still need key pieces, but have a great start on OL and DL, LB, RB, TE, WR. But BM has taken us as far as he can go without a complete education in how to coach all the other positions he knows nothing about. That to me, means going back to the bottom rung and advancing the way virtually everyone else does in life. By learning at appropriate levels all phases of the game, and when done, my guess is he would be an excellent coach. I would say that would take him maybe 10-15 yrs. But BM needs coaching education, not OTJ learning on the 49ers. He has now become dead weight, exactly like noln, erWreckson, et al, but his time and usefulness for us is over. If he chose to stay on as LB coach, i would be delighted. And maybe he could then every couple yrs learn a new coaching slot. But to keep this guy on is to be satisfied with the blind leading the sightless. It won't work.

I ask Jed to be a stand up owner and do the right thing. Fire BM now, and see if baalke could persuade Tony Dungy to help us out rest of yr while baalke finds us a real HC with all the experience and and OC knowledge required. Failing that, i would ask Gruden to finish the yr for us. Asking BM to finish this yr is just wasting 15 games where instead of progressing we will be treading BMs water, if not going backwards. Summary: BM, do the right thing. Step up, be a man, and tender your resignation, preferably, immediately following the uneven match up in the NO game.

If BM doesn't do that, then everytime you see a big green steamer on the lawn in the morning, someone's dog's BM will remind you of our coach, BM. I am already at that point.

There's no way he's fired in the middle of the season.

What about trying to hire Brian Schottenheimer from the Jets?
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In a nearby thread, i posted that bigmike(BM), which has other connotations, and JR, just flat aren't smart enough to be HC and OC. JR's gameplans(?) speak for themselves. BM is another matter. GOAT LB, terrific motivater, and .... that's the problem, there is no "there" there. He is a superb LB coach (p 52 all pro), and he has coached, unhh, unh.....well let's see: not QBs, nor RBs, not WRs or TEs, and not OLs. Nor has he coached DL, DBs and certainly never was an OC or DC, and never GM. His total experience prior to here? LB coach under ....yup, lil mikeynoln, a paragon of football intelligence. That's it guys, that is BMs total sum of NFL coaching experience. Is there any man jack of you out there that really believed he could skate like that and come out a winner? Jeepers, creepers, it is like a guy wanting to practice medicine, works in an ambulance for a couple of yrs and hangs out a sign "Doctor".

No reasonable person should ever have expected anything more from BM than what we got. On the positive side, he WAS what was needed after a bad case of noln, er-wreckson/donashole...he picked this team up off its back and help accumulate talent. He did not , however, surround himself with coaching talent, Manusky excepted, but he was already here. To bring in a retread like JR was a glaring mistake, but BM wanted someone who would take orders, nothing more. Also BM didn't have to worry about someone absconding with JR...and for good reason.

So i put it to you. He has completed his mission of talent restoration, altho we still need key pieces, but have a great start on OL and DL, LB, RB, TE, WR. But BM has taken us as far as he can go without a complete education in how to coach all the other positions he knows nothing about. That to me, means going back to the bottom rung and advancing the way virtually everyone else does in life. By learning at appropriate levels all phases of the game, and when done, my guess is he would be an excellent coach. I would say that would take him maybe 10-15 yrs. But BM needs coaching education, not OTJ learning on the 49ers. He has now become dead weight, exactly like noln, erWreckson, et al, but his time and usefulness for us is over. If he chose to stay on as LB coach, i would be delighted. And maybe he could then every couple yrs learn a new coaching slot. But to keep this guy on is to be satisfied with the blind leading the sightless. It won't work.

I ask Jed to be a stand up owner and do the right thing. Fire BM now, and see if baalke could persuade Tony Dungy to help us out rest of yr while baalke finds us a real HC with all the experience and and OC knowledge required. Failing that, i would ask Gruden to finish the yr for us. Asking BM to finish this yr is just wasting 15 games where instead of progressing we will be treading BMs water, if not going backwards. Summary: BM, do the right thing. Step up, be a man, and tender your resignation, preferably, immediately following the uneven match up in the NO game.

If BM doesn't do that, then everytime you see a big green steamer on the lawn in the morning, someone's dog's BM will remind you of our coach, BM. I am already at that point.

There's no way he's fired in the middle of the season.

What about trying to hire Brian Schottenheimer from the Jets?

seriously? have you seen the Jets offense since he took over a few years ago?

I just think the amount of over reacting taking place after one game is astonishing.

I see the seahawks game as a perfect storm against us. We headed into this game as the media darlings and no one was giving the seahawks a chance in this game or the west. There is some extra motivation against us.

We played the game in seattle which has been a notoriously tough place to play for nfl teams (especially us). Plus we had 3 new starters on the line which can be challenging enough, but to have their first game be on the road and in seattle is very rough. It was also the first regular season game where Raye relayed calls to Johnson. Which ended up being a failure.

I remember seeing a stat on espn saying that first time coaches win their first game inbetween 70 and 85 percent of the time. Mike Nolan one his first game as the 49ers head coach. I believe this is because its hard to play a team when you cant game plan for them. I also wouldnt be surprised if Carroll spent extra time game planning against the niners. He had the resources to help him (Ulbrich, Brandon Jones, Kentwan Balmer, and to a lesser extent Robinson).

Then I believe we just had a quicksand game. Which does happen to teams. We were humming along until late in the second when on third down Nate jumped a route and Branch grabbed Nates hand only to have the pass interference be called on us! This kept their drive alive and they then scored a touchdown on the drive. I believe that is where we took our first step into the quick sand. We had dominated the game until that point. Everyone had looked great until that point, and then the crowd got back into it.

We should have been able to fight through this but sometimes things dont happen the way they should. Its a bump in the road and sure it is frusturating but I am not going to change my opinion on the season after one game. I am going to show a little trust in the only coach we have had with a .500 record since mooch left. I am going to give him more than one game before I declare him a terrible coach.

I also think we are going to beat the saints on monday, and get our season back on track.

[ Edited by Utah9er on Sep 16, 2010 at 09:10:30 ]
Originally posted by Utah9er:
I just think the amount of over reacting taking place after one game is astonishing.

I see the seahawks game as a perfect storm against us. We headed into this game as the media darlings and no one was giving the seahawks a chance in this game or the west. There is some extra motivation against us.

We played the game in seattle which has been a notoriously tough place to play for nfl teams (especially us). Plus we had 3 new starters on the line which can be challenging enough, but to have their first game be on the road and in seattle is very rough. It was also the first regular season game where Raye relayed calls to Johnson. Which ended up being a failure.

I remember seeing a stat on espn saying that first time coaches win their first game inbetween 70 and 85 percent of the time. Mike Nolan one his first game as the 49ers head coach. I believe this is because its hard to play a team when you cant game plan for them. I also wouldnt be surprised if Carroll spent extra time game planning against the niners. He had the resources to help him (Ulbrich, Brandon Jones, Kentwan Balmer, and to a lesser extent Robinson).

Then I believe we just had a quicksand game. Which does happen to teams. We were humming along until late in the second when on third down Nate jumped a route and Branch grabbed Nates hand only to have the pass interference be called on us! This kept their drive alive and they then scored a touchdown on the drive. I believe that is where we took our first step into the quick sand. We had dominated the game until that point. Everyone had looked great until that point, and then the crowd got back into it.

We should have been able to fight through this but sometimes things dont happen the way they should. Its a bump in the road and sure it is frusturating but I am not going to change my opinion on the season after one game. I am going to show a little trust in the only coach we have had with a .500 record since mooch left. I am going to give him more than one game before I declare him a terrible coach.

I also think we are going to beat the saints on monday, and get our season back on track.

The issue is these were all issues last year.... run the ball up the middle, trouble with the clock these are rookie coach issues after 26 games you cant still be called a rookie coach.

If having 3 new linemen (2 with one starting in a new position) is a big issue how is seattle hve 25 new people on the roster not a big issue that they blew us out.

The first game that Raye and Johnon have relayed the play in, how come we didnt have these issues in the pre season. If you know you are doing something new why would you not make sure it works when you play in the pre season, atlesat when the starters are in.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Utah, he's had more than one game. The same problems have carried over from last year. So, do you really need to see more?
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
I have 2 hopes:

1. The staff intentionally kept some things back so as to not show the Saints
2. Due to the new coaching staff in Seattle, there was just little to gameplan on for the 9ers. Add to this some inside knowledge from MRob and Balmer (though he never knew much while here), maybe this gave Seattle a major edge.

Reality, I fear, is that we got out-coached by freakin' Pete Carroll.

the only issue with you first one is that is for pre-season... its the regular season, why would a coach hold stuff back in the opening game of the NFL season against your divison rival? but you may be right i could see this coaching staff do that... forgeting that preseason if the first 4 games then the 5th game actually means something.
This sounds like a coach who knows what he's doing.
And we could have had him ...
Shlt !
  • fly15
  • Veteran
we're moving foward....
Originally posted by fly15:
we're moving foward....

You mean't "backward" i believe ...

Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
I have 2 hopes:

1. The staff intentionally kept some things back so as to not show the Saints
2. Due to the new coaching staff in Seattle, there was just little to gameplan on for the 9ers. Add to this some inside knowledge from MRob and Balmer (though he never knew much while here), maybe this gave Seattle a major edge.

Reality, I fear, is that we got out-coached by freakin' Pete Carroll.

Manny was talking about spending part of Seattle week game-planning for the Saints. Clearly they were overlooking the Seahawks.

Singletary was going for those 4th downs like it was pre-season and they "were going to score all day anyway so no big deal".
Originally posted by 49Fever:
This sounds like a coach who knows what he's doing.
And we could have had him ...
Shlt !

lol Shanny didn't even know the game was over on the holding penalty, one of his coaches had to tell him, and they got the explanation wrong too
Share 49ersWebzone