why i think it starts with singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
I have 2 hopes:

1. The staff intentionally kept some things back so as to not show the Saints
2. Due to the new coaching staff in Seattle, there was just little to gameplan on for the 9ers. Add to this some inside knowledge from MRob and Balmer (though he never knew much while here), maybe this gave Seattle a major edge.

Reality, I fear, is that we got out-coached by freakin' Pete Carroll.

31 teams can out coach us.

That's what it seems like anymore. Well, I'd say 30. Chan Gailey's Bills might be worse. My thing is, I really think Sing has many great aspects as a head coach. I just think his stubbornness is a major character flaw for the job. Jimmy Raye is the big problem, imo. He's simply outdated.

His go for it on every single 4th down and slam it into the pile in an 8 or 9 man box in a stubborn way is not going to get it done.

hes probably horrible at madden...
  • nooj
  • Veteran
We were all fooled into thinking continuity was the best route to go. It was just an excuse to do absolutey jack sh*t to improve our team.

I've been hopefully optimistic on Alex, but I didn't feel that he deserved to be given the starting job with absolutely no competition during the offseason. David Carr shouldn't even be in a position to be sniffing a 1st string job. And that was our move?

I'm tired of the team being unprepared for this and that, then excuses and more excuses. My patience is wearing thin and as a supporter of Singletary from day one, his loyalty to Jimmy Raye bothers me the most.

It's clear to even the novice viewer, such as myself, that the offense just isn't getting it done. They are still working on basics, like getting the play in on time!

You may say I'm over-reacting. But I've seen enough and I am convinced, this coaching tree doesn't have what it takes to win a Superbowl.
I have 2 hopes:

2. Due to the new coaching staff in Seattle, there was just little to gameplan on for the 9ers. Add to this some inside knowledge from MRob and Balmer (though he never knew much while here), maybe this gave Seattle a major edge.

Don't forget about Ulbrich who played LB for us for the last 10+ yrs, who is now coaching with the Seahawks.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Singletary talked from day 1 about a vision for this team. His vision.
Be physical. Execute. Finish. Dominate. No turnovers.
Consequently, he selected an OC sharing his vision and players to create running holes, running backs to go through 'hem, etc. He was content with the QB he had cos he probably figured he was mostly there to hand the ball.
And so the team tries to run the ball but fails, then goes to the passing game but wait the QB they have isn't a great accurate passer remember ?
So what happens ? the team fails again

Be physical ? with what result
Execute ? first the plays gotta come from the sidelines
Finish ? well you gotta score first then have a lead to show for
To Dominate ? or not to dominate. That's the question !
Stay out of turnovers ? take a run oriented O and make an under average QB throw the ball silly

So from what was an inspiring motivational speech about vision and all that goes with it, from what seems the start of an organized organisation (at last) we know have a team that hasn't made any progress in a year time.

I know some of you will question the fact that this comment comes way too early in the season. Hey, it's just one game. Well sorry but this goes to last year and unfortunately i see a pattern here. I have the funny feeling that our loss against a miserable bird team (made of runaways from other teams and that will win at most 6 games this season) is not a speed bump but a tell-tale : we are what we are ... and it's not pretty !

Yo do realize that we won 8 games last year when we followed that blueprint and when we didn't we lost. Singletary philosophy didn't kill us, our QB play did. We didn't do any one of those things today. Ask Mike Shanahan how hard it is for a great coach with a great philosphy to win without a decent QB. BTW, Singletary didn't draft Smith and his play last season earned him a shot a proving he was a starter with a full offseason under his belt. It is now obvious that he is not so we try to salvage the season and move on from there.

true he did not draft Smith but he keeps on playing him , and picked him over Hill and everyone else !

Sing got Hill "out of the way" to help Alex's confidence. Now we have Carr, and this is sad news if Alex goes down.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
I have 2 hopes:

That's what it seems like anymore. Well, I'd say 30. Chan Gailey's Bills might be worse. My thing is, I really think Sing has many great aspects as a head coach. I just think his stubbornness is a major character flaw for the job. Jimmy Raye is the big problem, imo. He's simply outdated.

His go for it on every single 4th down and slam it into the pile in an 8 or 9 man box in a stubborn way is not going to get it done.

hes probably horrible at madden...

LOL, we made a comment after the last game, playing the niners is like playing a 4 year old at madden 11.
Consequently, he selected an OC sharing his vision and players to create running holes, running backs to go through 'hem, etc. He was content with the QB he had cos he probably figured he was mostly there to hand the ball.
And so the team tries to run the ball but fails, then goes to the passing game but wait the QB they have isn't a great accurate passer remember ?

Stay out of turnovers ? take a run oriented O and make an under average QB throw the ball silly

So from what was an inspiring motivational speech about vision and all that goes with it, from what seems the start of an organized organisation (at last) we know have a team that hasn't made any progress in a year time.

I know some of you will question the fact that this comment comes way too early in the season. Hey, it's just one game. Well sorry but this goes to last year and unfortunately i see a pattern here. I have the funny feeling that our loss against a miserable bird team (made of runaways from other teams and that will win at most 6 games this season) is not a speed bump but a tell-tale : we are what we are ... and it's not pretty !

Singletary is persuading us to believe, something preachers do well.
Wow brilliant!! I really, really mean it too!
I have 2 hopes:

Diego, rarely I aggree with you, but on this...WAY TO DAMN WELL GO, BRO!!
Is there no mercy at all? Did we win too much to be cursed with this ownership who hires numskulls without any forethought...

Might as well cal San Francisco; Mudville. Striking out for years now that incompetence is the rule of thumb..

Sad days in Ninerland..
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
NT hates sing.

Who dat? Me?
I have 2 hopes:

Reason #1 is illogical....Hello, you play to win the game!!!!!!

Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

Yo do realize that we won 8 games last year when we followed that blueprint and when we didn't we lost. Singletary philosophy didn't kill us, our QB play did. We didn't do any one of those things today. Ask Mike Shanahan how hard it is for a great coach with a great philosphy to win without a decent QB. BTW, Singletary didn't draft Smith and his play last season earned him a shot a proving he was a starter with a full offseason under his belt. It is now obvious that he is not so we try to salvage the season and move on from there.

true he did not draft Smith but he keeps on playing him , and picked him over Hill and everyone else !

Sing got Hill "out of the way" to help Alex's confidence. Now we have Carr, and this is sad news if Alex goes down.

McClueless got rid of Hill and signed Carr. I don't think the coaching staff agreed with it ala Brandon Jones.
sing tends to over-coach....i recall during a particular pre-season game, he was caught talking with a rookie punt returner....sing was badgering him about playing well, but he was excessive. the rookie then went out and fumbled the first punt, then later caught a punt at the 3 yard line.....he was obviously shaken by sing....is that good coaching?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Cuz he's the HC.

Yes, pretty simple to identify that.
In a nearby thread, i posted that bigmike(BM), which has other connotations, and JR, just flat aren't smart enough to be HC and OC. JR's gameplans(?) speak for themselves. BM is another matter. GOAT LB, terrific motivater, and .... that's the problem, there is no "there" there. He is a superb LB coach (p 52 all pro), and he has coached, unhh, unh.....well let's see: not QBs, nor RBs, not WRs or TEs, and not OLs. Nor has he coached DL, DBs and certainly never was an OC or DC, and never GM. His total experience prior to here? LB coach under ....yup, lil mikeynoln, a paragon of football intelligence. That's it guys, that is BMs total sum of NFL coaching experience. Is there any man jack of you out there that really believed he could skate like that and come out a winner? Jeepers, creepers, it is like a guy wanting to practice medicine, works in an ambulance for a couple of yrs and hangs out a sign "Doctor".

No reasonable person should ever have expected anything more from BM than what we got. On the positive side, he WAS what was needed after a bad case of noln, er-wreckson/donashole...he picked this team up off its back and help accumulate talent. He did not , however, surround himself with coaching talent, Manusky excepted, but he was already here. To bring in a retread like JR was a glaring mistake, but BM wanted someone who would take orders, nothing more. Also BM didn't have to worry about someone absconding with JR...and for good reason.

So i put it to you. He has completed his mission of talent restoration, altho we still need key pieces, but have a great start on OL and DL, LB, RB, TE, WR. But BM has taken us as far as he can go without a complete education in how to coach all the other positions he knows nothing about. That to me, means going back to the bottom rung and advancing the way virtually everyone else does in life. By learning at appropriate levels all phases of the game, and when done, my guess is he would be an excellent coach. I would say that would take him maybe 10-15 yrs. But BM needs coaching education, not OTJ learning on the 49ers. He has now become dead weight, exactly like noln, erWreckson, et al, but his time and usefulness for us is over. If he chose to stay on as LB coach, i would be delighted. And maybe he could then every couple yrs learn a new coaching slot. But to keep this guy on is to be satisfied with the blind leading the sightless. It won't work.

I ask Jed to be a stand up owner and do the right thing. Fire BM now, and see if baalke could persuade Tony Dungy to help us out rest of yr while baalke finds us a real HC with all the experience and and OC knowledge required. Failing that, i would ask Gruden to finish the yr for us. Asking BM to finish this yr is just wasting 15 games where instead of progressing we will be treading BMs water, if not going backwards. Summary: BM, do the right thing. Step up, be a man, and tender your resignation, preferably, immediately following the uneven match up in the NO game.

If BM doesn't do that, then everytime you see a big green steamer on the lawn in the morning, someone's dog's BM will remind you of our coach, BM. I am already at that point.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In a nearby thread, i posted that bigmike(BM), which has other connotations, and JR, just flat aren't smart enough to be HC and OC. JR's gameplans(?) speak for themselves. BM is another matter. GOAT LB, terrific motivater, and .... that's the problem, there is no "there" there. He is a superb LB coach (p 52 all pro), and he has coached, unhh, unh.....well let's see: not QBs, nor RBs, not WRs or TEs, and not OLs. Nor has he coached DL, DBs and certainly never was an OC or DC, and never GM. His total experience prior to here? LB coach under ....yup, lil mikeynoln, a paragon of football intelligence. That's it guys, that is BMs total sum of NFL coaching experience. Is there any man jack of you out there that really believed he could skate like that and come out a winner? Jeepers, creepers, it is like a guy wanting to practice medicine, works in an ambulance for a couple of yrs and hangs out a sign "Doctor".

No reasonable person should ever have expected anything more from BM than what we got. On the positive side, he WAS what was needed after a bad case of noln, er-wreckson/donashole...he picked this team up off its back and help accumulate talent. He did not , however, surround himself with coaching talent, Manusky excepted, but he was already here. To bring in a retread like JR was a glaring mistake, but BM wanted someone who would take orders, nothing more. Also BM didn't have to worry about someone absconding with JR...and for good reason.

So i put it to you. He has completed his mission of talent restoration, altho we still need key pieces, but have a great start on OL and DL, LB, RB, TE, WR. But BM has taken us as far as he can go without a complete education in how to coach all the other positions he knows nothing about. That to me, means going back to the bottom rung and advancing the way virtually everyone else does in life. By learning at appropriate levels all phases of the game, and when done, my guess is he would be an excellent coach. I would say that would take him maybe 10-15 yrs. But BM needs coaching education, not OTJ learning on the 49ers. He has now become dead weight, exactly like noln, erWreckson, et al, but his time and usefulness for us is over. If he chose to stay on as LB coach, i would be delighted. And maybe he could then every couple yrs learn a new coaching slot. But to keep this guy on is to be satisfied with the blind leading the sightless. It won't work.

I ask Jed to be a stand up owner and do the right thing. Fire BM now, and see if baalke could persuade Tony Dungy to help us out rest of yr while baalke finds us a real HC with all the experience and and OC knowledge required. Failing that, i would ask Gruden to finish the yr for us. Asking BM to finish this yr is just wasting 15 games where instead of progressing we will be treading BMs water, if not going backwards. Summary: BM, do the right thing. Step up, be a man, and tender your resignation, preferably, immediately following the uneven match up in the NO game.

If BM doesn't do that, then everytime you see a big green steamer on the lawn in the morning, someone's dog's BM will remind you of our coach, BM. I am already at that point.

BM stands for bowel movement how dare you

Share 49ersWebzone