LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Am I the only one who sees that we are better in the Gun

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Norris is the worst. He's the Mark Roman of our offense. Gets the nod to not get cut but ruins our game with his CONSTANT sucking. Who gets cut from the Texans (when they were bad) and the Detroit Lions?? Our starting FB, that's who!

99% of the time he's on the field, we run the ball.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Just like last year we can Alex can only pass from the gun and Frank can only run from the I, some thing has to give.

Is is me or did Frank look old today?

Seattle was determined to not let Frank beat them today; instead, they wanted to force Alex to try and beat them, which he obviously couldn't do...

Thus every remaining opponent will copy Seattle's game plan. Alex will have to transform his game into pro-bowl caliber. Or else the playoff drought will continue for San Fran.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Norris is the worst. He's the Mark Roman of our offense. Gets the nod to not get cut but ruins our game with his CONSTANT sucking. Who gets cut from the Texans (when they were bad) and the Detroit Lions?? Our starting FB, that's who!

Not defending Moran but he was released by the Texans for not fitting the scheme. Kubiak brought in the WCO which requires more finesse pass catching FB's. Not the thumper type like Moran Norris.

However, since coming here in '06 his play has steadily declined. Balke should look into drafting a Lawrence Vickers type on FB this coming April.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
we have an IDENTITY CRISIS

Whoa
  • fan49
  • Veteran
dude are you kidding me.... iv been posting this for years. steve young said it would be terible to draft him and not impliment a spread offense. hes that type of qb. just like haynesworth is mad in a 4-3 d. 6 years ago when steve said that, if steve knew it someone else should have, or at least listened. we should have had a spread offense. last year we spread it out alex had just about his best season debatable with 06. but yeah raye is terrible we shold impliment a lot more spread.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

Not defending Moran but he was released by the Texans for not fitting the scheme. Kubiak brought in the WCO which requires more finesse pass catching FB's. Not the thumper type like Moran Norris.

However, since coming here in '06 his play has steadily declined. Balke should look into drafting a Lawrence Vickers type on FB this coming April.

Fair enough. He still sucks, though.
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by znk916:
shotgun = no Moran Norris = win

if smith throws that ball to anyone OTHER than norris = TD

watching him try to adjust to the throw and end up cartwheeling backwards over himself was

Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Yeah because Alex is our best player, not #21. The Gun (and Alex) is the reason we didn't win the Division last year. The Gun, my word. Alex Smith, Alex f'ing Smith, when will it end? I almost wish we weren't so talented, then it wouldn't be so bad watching this guy suck, he'd just be another guy, instead of holding the rest of the team ransom.

Your right our running game was so dominant. Nothing like our 2 yards a carry to strike fear into the opposing defense. I never said anything about gore not being our best threat but we move the ball on a more consistent basis for the last two years when we are in the gun. Can you think of a game in the last half of the season where that wasn't true.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Yeah because Alex is our best player, not #21. The Gun (and Alex) is the reason we didn't win the Division last year. The Gun, my word. Alex Smith, Alex f'ing Smith, when will it end? I almost wish we weren't so talented, then it wouldn't be so bad watching this guy suck, he'd just be another guy, instead of holding the rest of the team ransom.

Your right our running game was so dominant. Nothing like our 2 yards a carry to strike fear into the opposing defense. I never said anything about gore not being our best threat but we move the ball on a more consistent basis for the last two years when we are in the gun. Can you think of a game in the last half of the season where that wasn't true.

Titans/Cardinals/Eagles. Alex threw the game away in 2 of those and Gore and the defense were so ridiculous Alex sucking didn't matter against freaking ZOna. To coddle this idiot is ridiculous, the gun, my word, put Troy SMith in I don't effing care we have one of the more talented teams in the League and were gonna let this idiot continue to bring us down my word this is insane.

• BobS
  • Veteran

Even though Norris fell backwards and didn't jump, that ball was way over his head, I doubt Michael Jordan could have caught it.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Q. The coaching staff committed to Alex Smith....so why didn't they commit to designing the offense around his strengths?

A. Because they are they stubborn and hard headed morons.

Singletary is still infatuated with molding the team into a brute force run up the gut type team. Yet the personnel would really be better suited to a finesse uptempo style which could highlight their speed and athleticism. Even Gore would benefit from it. How much wear and tear does he go through when he has run between the tackles like that....wouldn't it be better to get him the ball in space?

The primary issue with the offense is not just the rhythm and tempo of the playcalls, it's that it fails to properly maximize the many matchup advantages that the Niners enjoy.

Blaming Smith is retarded. they had all season to find anyone else, but they chose Smith precisely because he showed some flashes of brilliance last season while running the spread. But they won't feature those sets as part of the regular offense.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:

Even though Norris fell backwards and didn't jump, that ball was way over his head, I doubt Michael Jordan could have caught it.

Really, I saw the ball go right through his two hands. It was not a high velocity ball either, a little high, but any other eligible receiver on the offense would have caught that pass.

I played wide receiver, if the ball hits your hands, you're supposed to catch it.

If Moron can't make that basic catch, why is he on the field.

That play was totally not Smith's fault.
  • dj43
It ISN'T formation. It is ALL about overall scheme. Good teams fool opponents a great deal of the time because they are unpredictable. All you had to do to see that was to look across the LOS yesterday. Hasselback came to the LOS with a play they thought would fool the 49ers, and if he didn't think it would work, HE HAD TIME TO AUDIBLE OUT OF IT. Hasselback burned the 49er defense multiple times yesterday. Alex Smith, OTOH, was just glad to get a play call in time to run the darn thing. Until that changes, it won't matter the formation.

Share 49ersWebzone