Ramifications if Alex fails..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
i tottally disagree, all we need to do is trade for a good qb or sign on in free agency

see my post #64 in this thread.

You can pin a rose on a pig's nose but it is still a pig. (Raye offense)

as much as you want to blame the offensive playcalling or philosophy...

well there were key plays that initially worked, and should have been TDs, would you agree?

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

and there were countless other times where Vernon or other players were open in the middle of the field, but Alex chose to check it down...or throw it out of bounce.

Smith has always relied on the check down option. That's why WR's never put up good #'s with him at the helm. The man can't get it downfield, and when he does, he misses the target most of the time.

The ONLY (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) reason Smith is still with this team is because he was the #1 overall draft pick. Everyone knows that if he was selected in the 2nd round or lower (like he should have been), he would have been cut long ago, most likely right after the shoulder injury, along with an injury settlement.

It is a wierd thing with the 49ers. You just don't see NFL teams rolling the dice for this long on a player that has had very shakey NFL career (for whatever reason). At least not as a starting QB, which is a player that will make or break your season. They are a very strange team.

what's even weirder is the egos that selected Smith (Scotty & Nolan) are both gone. So why is Smith still here? Sing decided to go balls out and mortgage the house on Smith, and now he is paying the price. I think he even got rid of Hill just so Smith wouldn't have to look over his shoulder! How lame!

I don't think its too weird... Remember Sing doesn't think that the QB position is all that important. He's said over and over that it's not; so, if Alex can't get it done, then obviously the QB position is more important than what Sing has intimated.
i tottally disagree, all we need to do is trade for a good qb or sign on in free agency

well there were key plays that initially worked, and should have been TDs, would you agree?

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

and there were countless other times where Vernon or other players were open in the middle of the field, but Alex chose to check it down...or throw it out of bounce.

Smith has always relied on the check down option. That's why WR's never put up good #'s with him at the helm. The man can't get it downfield, and when he does, he misses the target most of the time.

The ONLY (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) reason Smith is still with this team is because he was the #1 overall draft pick. Everyone knows that if he was selected in the 2nd round or lower (like he should have been), he would have been cut long ago, most likely right after the shoulder injury, along with an injury settlement.

It is a wierd thing with the 49ers. You just don't see NFL teams rolling the dice for this long on a player that has had very shakey NFL career (for whatever reason). At least not as a starting QB, which is a player that will make or break your season. They are a very strange team.

what's even weirder is the egos that selected Smith (Scotty & Nolan) are both gone. So why is Smith still here? Sing decided to go balls out and mortgage the house on Smith, and now he is paying the price. I think he even got rid of Hill just so Smith wouldn't have to look over his shoulder! How lame!

So after 1 game it's all over???

Smith showed last year he is much more capable than JTO or S.Hill will ever be

There's a full season of football left to be played so if you want to drown in your sorrows then that's on you...

Go Niners
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Actually, while it would be better if Smith shows that he has been worth the patience the 49ers have shown in him, the bright side of him failing this year is that the rest of the team has been built-up around him. By virtually all accounts, you hear praise for the 49ers roster with the one big question mark being the QB. The offense has the best set of receivers since at least Mooch's run with T.O. The OL is stocked with high draft picks. Gore remains a feature back and Dixon looks to have a chance to at least be a good back-up. The defense is generally young and fast, though after QB the next highest priorities is probably at CB.

For the most part, it sounds like if Smith fails this year, the 49ers are essentially where the Vikings were before Favre got there. That should make them attractive to possible HC candidates and/or QBs looking for a place they can win at.

Smith failing doesn't set the franchise back 3-5 years. At the end of this year, the franchise moves forward either with Smith (if he plays well) or without Smith (if he does not play well).

Originally posted by jays9ers:
Its one thing not to be great but alex did not look good today.. This is is make or break season and if he fails then this organization is set back 3 to 5 years. Meaning Gore is pretty much a Wash. Vernon is older hopefully wiser.. crabs will be on his way out the door looking for a big fa contract and willis his best years will be coming to an end sooner than letter.. Basically he resets the franchise and prob gets the coaching staff fired.... damn....

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

Shaj, we all know Smith didn't get it done yesterday, but would you acknowledge that the play calling and selection had a negative impact on the offense as well?

I am not willing to continue to entertain excuses for this year 6 #1 overall draft pick. I'm just not. Did you watch Sam Bradford play for the worst team in the league yesterday, in his very first NFL stint? Where are his excuses? WE ARE IN YEAR SIX WITH OUR PROJECT. SIX YEARS!!!

A guy like Smith ought to be able to take control of these kind of situations and start audibling or making his own calls and just making them happen. He has enough talent around him. Franchise QBs are supposed to elevate their team's play to another level. Smith has never demonstrated the ability to do that - he always brings us down to romper room level.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The process of elimination says that the recurring problem is Alex Smith. We need a new QB in 2011. Let Smith tantalize another team next year with his slow-as-molasses learning curve.

whah whah whah

ohhh boy....
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

Shaj, we all know Smith didn't get it done yesterday, but would you acknowledge that the play calling and selection had a negative impact on the offense as well?

LOL @ asking that question to Shaj. He doesn't consider context or that it's a team sport.

-9fA
eh, he's a good guy. I am just trying push his button to see if he will acknowledge that Smith isn't to blame when the same running play gets stuffed for the 43 time in a row.
Add in the fact that the HEAD COACH has publicly acknowledged that the team has a major problem getting plays down to the field on time.

Wait a minute...weren't people saying that Nate Davis struggled to get the play in, communicated to the offense and get the play off before the play clock wound down...and using that as one of the reasons that he is not good/not ready/etc.? Smith is having the same problems, and it's the coaches' fault? Interesting.

Look, I don't think one game makes or breaks a season (usually). And I don't think one game necessarily will show you what a team and/or player is going to be throughout the season. It was a bad, bad game, there's no way around it. But it's one game and the Niners and Smith may well turn it around and have the season many thought they would. And I'm a so-called Smith hater.

The thing that drives me a little nuts is the treatment of the QBs. The coaches seem to bend over backwards to talk about how good Alex Smith is, and seem to walk on egg shells whenever talking about him. But they publicly ream Nate Davis a new one after a pre season game, where frankly, he didn't play any worse than Smith did this past weekend. I'm not even necessarily saying that Sing was incorrect with what he said about Davis (though I suspect it was exaggerated to some extent). I know in management you can't always treat different people the same way, but man, Sing comes across as bi-polar to me in how he deals with the QBs. Where was Smith's public reaming after his less than stellar first pre season game showing? Where is Smith's public reaming after this game?

Who knows...maybe he's been so easy on Smith because he didn't really expect much out of him. And maybe he was so hard on Davis because he was really hoping Nate would be ready to take over for Smith part way through the season and he wasn't...leaving Sing with nothing to work with at QB this season. That would make me kind of cranky too. (please note, there is a little sarcasm in that statement. A little...I really can't figure out this team, especially the coaches, so while I meant that sarcastically, who knows...it might be part of what is going on. It makes as much sense as any other explanation I can come up with).
  • BobS
  • Veteran
"Remember the Mariucci saga ? At the time, we were all willing to chop his head off for not being aggressive and failing to cater to TO. In retrospect, he was the best thing that happened to us this century."

The kneel down before half at our 40 in the Tampa Bay play-off game was down right pathetic. That was a form of surrender. When he got fired I thought they had a top level coach lined up, then we got Erickson, WTF!
News flash , He failed long time ago , Niners don't want to except that they gave him 33 million for nothing !
Originally posted by cNiner:
News flash , He failed long time ago , Niners don't want to except that they gave him 33 million for nothing !

They should've just cut their losses about 2-3 seasons ago instead of trying to save face.. and show the NFL and the world that they f*cked up with their number one overall pick.

The raiders weren't afraid to do it with JaMarcus Russell. Alex would've been dropped or permantly demoted to 2nd or 3rd string by any other team within the first 3 years. The kid is not a starting QB in the NFL, or even CFL.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

They should've just cut their losses about 2-3 seasons ago instead of trying to save face.. and show the NFL and the world that they f*cked up with their number one overall pick.

The raiders weren't afraid to do it with JaMarcus Russell. Alex would've been dropped or permantly demoted to 2nd or 3rd string by any other team within the first 3 years. The kid is not a starting QB in the NFL, or even CFL.

even if they didn't cut their losses, they should of had a backup plan. It's been pretty evident that Smith is a possible bust for a while now. Can't blame anyone but the organization on this one. Poor planning.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

even if they didn't cut their losses, they should of had a backup plan. It's been pretty evident that Smith is a possible bust for a while now. Can't blame anyone but the organization on this one. Poor planning.

We did have many backup plans.

Trent Dilfer
Chris Weinke
Shaun Hill
JTO Sullivan
David Carr
Nate Davis
Troy Smith
If Alex doesn't really take control of the offense then it'll fall to Carr. I think David's a capable QB...he's been through the wars and understands his role. But, it's also premature to throw Alex to the wolves...it was one game, there were a lot of problems not his doing. His numbers went south when Seattle got a sizeable lead and he was forced to pass. Their defense warmed up to that situation and made it tough on him. He can and needs to play better...I'm sure he'd agree with that. But, Crabtree really needs to pull his head out, too. Vernon and Morgan were the only reliable receivers on Sunday. Raye needs to quit being so predictable in his playcalling, too. And, the OL has to do a better job of getting a push so the run game can be effective...with that, we'll see a lot more play-action in the passing game which should result in some big plays.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

I don't think its too weird... Remember Sing doesn't think that the QB position is all that important. He's said over and over that it's not; so, if Alex can't get it done, then obviously the QB position is more important than what Sing has intimated.

Sing is F'ING WRONG! It is important. And he'll find that out when he's tossed out on his keester after another failed season. We're not going anywhere without some above-average QB play. Period. End of story. It's the most important position on the team and it needs to be treated that way.

So -- the "ramifications if Smith fails" are -- a losing season and Singletary tossed out like NoWin. Those are the "ramifications."

I don't think Singletary gets "another year" if he fails to produce this season. Jed has him on a pretty short leash. Remember -- Uncle Eddie has the boy's ear...
I know why I am down on Alex Smith along with many others and the critics are very well backed by proof. I do find one thing that bugs me the most is that Singletary is such a stupid ass. Raye's imbecilic playcalls and tactics and most of the run designs are so putrid Alex is playing with a 20 ton anchor around his neck. He has to super excel just to break even with all the crap imposed by dumb and dumber. I see nothing that Singletary said that indicates he is changing. I am not against running per se but I am against perpetual putrid plays no team could run. The fact that Singletary is dumb enough to support that is enough for me to see him gone. Terminal stupidity is not a qualification to be a niner head coach. Anyone with enough sense to pee outdoors can see Singletary and co. can never develop a top young qb, nor run a competent offense. This year may be lost but the future would be bright for a guy like Baalke if he puts the foundations in right now. Trade for future picks for whomever, Crabtree and or Franklin. Set up a study for the best coach available. Not necessarily a veteren coach but one with brains and I don't mean one found by the Dorks. I think even if he is a college coach, it depends most on skill and character assets that count. Things the York's
can't fathom. Makes me laugh that Marie decried Eddie's character while they can't
tell an ass from a handsaw. Eddie could choose men, not fakes and he dumped fakes quickly. We need an Eddie type coach and a top qb. They live with Sing and they are never going anywhere and all the talent accrued will be wasted.

... and the Cardinals weren't afraid to do it with Leinart. You are exactly right !! This team is more interested in saving face than anything else. That's on ownership.
Share 49ersWebzone