LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Ramifications if Alex fails..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Look, I've been listed as part of the Smith Haters club in here, and I'm going to say it...it's one game. It's the first game of the season. Let's not get all doom and gloom all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is nothing to worry about, because that was a seriously ugly game. But I am saying that it was one game, and every player, every team, has a seriously ugly game every now and then. Hell, the Colts (12 wins in the last 7 years) had an ugly game yesterday.

It was an ugly game, the Niners looked bad all the way around, if they continue to play like that, it's going to be one ugly season. But let's get a couple more games in and see how they respond to that loss before writing the season off.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Look, when you have total coaching failure, talking about alex is the small picture. WHat nfl QB would have looked good handing off to frank when the oL didn't move their men off the LOS? Sure alex threw high and hard twice near goal line, but you mean to tell me he couldn't be coached not to do that? Problem is our HC is so inexperienced, he probably didn't even think to tell our QB coach to make alex practice 3rd and goal passes...touch passes...sure, alex made the bad throw, but coaching should have covered this, and obviously didn't . Even with AD and poti, plus staley, we are 2 men short of having a decent OL. Remember Kwame the lame? Well, we are back to those days, only here it is a matter of an entire OL blocking poorly. whose fault? the HC. He is supposed to know all OL techniques, is supposed to evaluate them, and if inadequate, teach the fundamentals to each and every lineman. How can BM do that when he doesn't know himself. Bigmike(BM) is a good person, an honest person, a very likeable person. But if you asked him, was this a complete coaching failure, he would have to say yes.

A yr and a half and he still can't get plays into the qB in timely fashion, which makes our QB look stupid, nor has he stressed to alex the importance of getting up to the OL quickly so changes can be made if necessary. BM would have been a lot better off yesterday, letting alex call his own plays. The way it played out alex got plays in way too late, plus they were terrible calls to boot. Sheesh. We got the worst of all worlds yesterday, and it exposed a terrible mistake at the helm...HC/OC. Until we upgrade at HC/OC, we are as good as we are going to get. We beat really crappy teams like raiders, and lose to good or middling teams...and not because we lack talent...it is because our talent has been so totally and poorly prepared.

IN essence, any QB we put in will be subjected to same level of incompetence at OC/HC. So ramifications of alex failing? I would say, 100% for him and anyone else until the entire team gets the HC it so sorely needs.

I see your point with the inept coaching staff.. But Alex doesn't make throws NFL qb's need to make.. I've been patient, I've supported him, but he's looking like a HUGE bust.
The most frustrating thing about Alex is he CAN do it. You watch the Jags game, Colts game last year, Houston game, 2nd half against the Packers, and even THIS pre season, etc and you see a guy who can make all the throws and thread the ball into tight windows. The ability is there. I don't believe Smith is any less talented than a Rodgers or anyone else. What separates Rodgers and others from Smith though is situations like yesterday. When sht hits the fan...Smith has a tendency to implode FAST whereas other QBs tend to make plays.

Again though, this is the first time in Smiths career where I've seen him start off really well (9/10 for 90 yards or whatever) then bend over (missing 12 of his last 21 with 2 picks).
IMO, Alex has already failed.

But now he's one bad half of football away from completely losing it.
  • dj43
I am not going to defend Smith here, however, there is a certain reality everyone must grasp.

Quarterbacks do not play in a vacuum. They depend on offensive linemen not only keeping pass rushers away from them, but also keeping the hands of pass rushers down and creating passing lanes so the can throw the ball on the plane it must be delivered in order to reach the target receiver. Without those two things happening, no quarterback can succeed.

Quarterbacks also depend on receivers running correct routes and making correct reads on the defense. This is the more subtle thing and the thing we fans don't see on the TV screen, and often don't understand even if we are at the game. However, there are situations where we DO KNOW that the receivers are not where they are supposed to be.

When either, or both of these problems occurred, the timing and confidence of the QB is thrown off and the passing offense will fail.

Yesterday Smith started off hitting everything he threw, however most of those throws were on very basic patterns that did not rely on much reading or complicated routes. As Seattle realized how basic things were, they began to adjust and take away the basics. This required 49er receives who had very little time working together in PS to make adjustments they could not make. The missed routes by Crabtree were obvious but you can bet they weren't the only ones. Morgan hadn't played much nor had Vernon, and neither of them have a great rep for sight adjustments. Also, Seattle adjusted the pass rush schemes to get pressure and hands in front of Smith. All of this worked to take away not only available receivers, but also Smith's confidence. His throws went from high to TOO high, and passes began missing receivers that were not in the locations Smith was reading.

Again, I am not providing an alibi for a player who did not play well. All I am saying is that the failure of the offense yesterday was indicative of the overall failure of scheme, lack of time together, ability of receivers to make adjustments pro receivers should make, and the failure of the staff to make adjustments to the game plan that Seattle brought.

So to answer the OP question; if Alex fails, it will be a TEAM AND COACHING STAFF FAILURE as much as it will be an Alex failure. Until they bring Peyton Manning here who can call plays that will actually fool the defense, it won't matter who the QB is. You cannot play the pro game with Pop Warner schemes and players who only show up on Sunday.
say we still make the playoffs and alex wasnt a huge reason why, we would pick too low for the only 2 qbs i would want in locker or luck.
At least the punk a$$ Raider organization had the balls to cut ties with Jamarcus. What's it gonna take for us to admit our mistake and rid us of this EMBARRASSMENT OF A QB?!?!!!
Originally posted by Shaj:
looking at the schedule, I could see a scenario where we are 0 - 8 and then the bye. And then what? David Carr to the rescue?

We're 4-4 at worse going into the break.

Beating Seattle with a healthy Hassleback at home is not easy as everyone wanted it to be. I really think people here are jumping off the bridge prematurely. Are we a team capable of winning a couple of playoff games. No. Are we still a 8 to 10 win team that's going to win the division. Yes.

Seattle is not going to beat us in Frisco and Hassleback won't stay healthy all year. Over the course of the season we're still going to be the best team in this crappy, crappy division.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
say we still make the playoffs and alex wasnt a huge reason why, we would pick too low for the only 2 qbs i would want in locker or luck.

J. Masoli
"IF" alex fails?? U guys don't quit.

Originally posted by ads_2006:
We just have to get a decent qb and not ask him to do much while he settles in (Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco)

Smith isnt s**t and Im tired of defending him.

Tebow could have made better throws today

HELL NO! Urban Meyer, spread option QB's suck.

[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Sep 13, 2010 at 09:12:25 ]
After waking up from my post 49ers loss binge drinking session, I woke up much calmer asking myself only 2 question.

1) How many performances like this before he gets the bench?

2) How many wins this year does Sing need to keep his job?

Im not going to bash anyone just yet, its one game, and im even going to give everyone a pass for the saints game, i was expecting to lose big that game anyway. But if we start this season 0-4 and Alex show anything less then spectacular play I would hope that they are both done. At that I point I would hope that Jed gets on the phone and wheels and deal for a QB, Hell if Vick is back to form like he was yesterday, I would be OK giving our first round pick next year for him. This team is ready win and while Alex was only part of the problem yesterday he is the biggest reason we are held back, next is Jimmy raye.
What we saw is what we know. There is no mystery about Alex Smith's "potential". At his best we get a good a quarter or two in a game from him. Other times he is going to flail out there, and be innacurate when he feels the pressure.

It is what it is, and after six years I can't understand why there is discussion like he is some new guy that nobody has ever seen play in the NFL before.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 13, 2010 at 09:17:55 ]
from Michael Lombardi of nfl.com before the Seattle game...

"If they had made the trade for Donovan McNabb, they would be my pick in the NFC, but they decided against it. Now they must live and die with Alex Smith at quarterback. My sense is they will eventually die."

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story/09000d5d81a39767/article/packers-chargers-fit-profile-of-super-bowl-champions

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Sep 13, 2010 at 09:19:41 ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:
What we saw is what we know. There is no mystery about Alex Smith's "potential". At his best we get a good a quarter or two in a game from him. Other times he is going to flail out there, and be innacurate when he feels the pressure.

It is what it is, and after six years I can't understand why there is discussion like he is some new guy that nobody has ever seen play in the NFL before.

but but but but, 30 different OC's, weak line protection, dropped balls 2 feet over and behind a FB's head, injured shoulder, but but but
Share 49ersWebzone