There are 237 users in the forums

Ramifications if Alex fails..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I seriously feel let down today. I was so hyped, this was a team we should have beat. I know the boys in the locker room are feeling that too. They should feel defeated and they should remember to never overlook a team again. The Seahawks played impressive football defensively for the most part, the team was solid from a bend but don't break standpoint and I take my hat off to Pete Carroll...I want to blame the refs, but I'm kind of niffed at the offensive playcalling(moran norris is a blocker), the willingness to allow Crabtree to start with so few reps, and our cornerbacks completely s**t the bed today(Clements went from burning hot, to cold after the ref called him for PI, even tho it was the receiver), and how unavailable our offensive line was on running plays.
This is a good lesson. There are 15 games left. Alex Smith didn't play excellent, and both picks were tipped out of hands, but they were poorly thrown passes, and he threw some pretty bad passes on other plays. He didn't lose this game by himself. I don't get why we stopped throwing to Morgan and Walker who were running hot, and I don't get why we were determined to run Gore over Center over and over. Why didn't we throw in Westbrook and Gore in a package? Better yet, why didn't we have Dixon in there for a few plays? Why didn't we try and offset the Seattle linebackers speed, why didn't we run screens? What the hell is up with our Offensive Coordinator? I still think our defensive front 7 is bad ass, but where was Haralson and Lawson? I saw a whole lot of #54, and Travis LaBoy should be a starter somewhere and we REALLY need Ahmad Brooks back.
Just sayin, this is a game we should have won....wondering if all our players who defected to Seattle had something to do with this? Maybe...maybe not. We lost guys. Week 2, eehhhh...
Title is misleading. It should read:

Ramifications because Alex HAS ALREADY failed..
If he fails? He has long since gone past failure.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Its one thing not to be great but alex did not look good today.. This is is make or break season and if he fails then this organization is set back 3 to 5 years. Meaning Gore is pretty much a Wash. Vernon is older hopefully wiser.. crabs will be on his way out the door looking for a big fa contract and willis his best years will be coming to an end sooner than letter.. Basically he resets the franchise and prob gets the coaching staff fired.... damn....

We don't have to start over completely if he's gone, That's complete nonsense. Good teams can make the playoffs with a rookie QB, many with a second or third year QB. Alex Smith has already set the organization back SIX years, no need to add anymore to that by denying the obvious.
First of all, I feel that Alex has already failed! He is just like Steve Deberg. An OK Qb who will keep every game close but can't win and seal the deal. Alex is just not clutch!
If Alex fails then the worst thing to do would be to put our eggs in the basket of a young QB. This isn't 2005 where the talent is being rebuilt. The talent is here and we go for a proven vet. Our only problem is that there probably won't be one available when we need one.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Hopefully Smith falls FLAT on his face. That way we can be SURE, as in NO MORE EFFIN CHANCES sure, that he sucks and then we will also be in place to draft his replacement.

I would like to see us bring in a Blue Chipper, hire yet another OC (and if Sing balks at the idea then can his ass too) and allow that Blue Chipper to sit for a season behind whoever. By the 2012 season that Blue Chipper should be ready, our linemen will be grown and experienced. Dixon will be in place. Crabtree will have learned to be a pro, and we should be in a good spot.
Originally posted by Weege880:
I seriously feel let down today. I was so hyped, this was a team we should have beat. I know the boys in the locker room are feeling that too. They should feel defeated and they should remember to never overlook a team again. The Seahawks played impressive football defensively for the most part, the team was solid from a bend but don't break standpoint and I take my hat off to Pete Carroll...I want to blame the refs, but I'm kind of niffed at the offensive playcalling(moran norris is a blocker), the willingness to allow Crabtree to start with so few reps, and our cornerbacks completely s**t the bed today(Clements went from burning hot, to cold after the ref called him for PI, even tho it was the receiver), and how unavailable our offensive line was on running plays.
This is a good lesson. There are 15 games left. Alex Smith didn't play excellent, and both picks were tipped out of hands, but they were poorly thrown passes, and he threw some pretty bad passes on other plays. He didn't lose this game by himself. I don't get why we stopped throwing to Morgan and Walker who were running hot, and I don't get why we were determined to run Gore over Center over and over. Why didn't we throw in Westbrook and Gore in a package? Better yet, why didn't we have Dixon in there for a few plays? Why didn't we try and offset the Seattle linebackers speed, why didn't we run screens? What the hell is up with our Offensive Coordinator? I still think our defensive front 7 is bad ass, but where was Haralson and Lawson? I saw a whole lot of #54, and Travis LaBoy should be a starter somewhere and we REALLY need Ahmad Brooks back.
Just sayin, this is a game we should have won....wondering if all our players who defected to Seattle had something to do with this? Maybe...maybe not. We lost guys. Week 2, eehhhh...

cosigned.
Andrew Luck

End thread!

Originally posted by dwy621:
First of all, I feel that Alex has already failed! He is just like Steve Deberg. An OK Qb who will keep every game close but can't win and seal the deal. Alex is just not clutch!

Memo: The final score was 31-6.

It wasn't even close to close. That's about as wide a gap as you can get. I've seen DeBerg play. He'd be an immediate upgrade over any QB we currently have on the roster.

Alex did not keep this game *close.*
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I do not think drafting a QB sets us back 3-4 years... We are in a position to have a rookie QB successful. Should Smith continue to falter, we will likely show him and Raye the door, draft a QB high, pick up a new OC and give it a go again next year... Our D will be consistently solid, and we will have experience on the Oline and skill positions to greatly assist any new QB, rookie or vet...

Actually I agree, the rest of the roster is good enough that we could have a situation where a good rookie QB could step in and lead us to the playoffs right away like Flacco or Ryan did a couple years ago.

but we definitely need OC change as well

[ Edited by znk916 on Sep 12, 2010 at 23:51:25 ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by dwy621:

Memo: The final score was 31-6.

It wasn't even close to close. That's about as wide a gap as you can get. I've seen DeBerg play. He'd be an immediate upgrade over any QB we currently have on the roster.

Alex did not keep this game *close.*

Sorry, what i meant was Alex had so many chances and couldn't put the game away early. He kept the the game within 1 score for Seattle. Thats how he keeps games close. I just can't wait to move on and get rid of Alex
I'm disgusted and can't sleep. Tomorrow is going to suck, just like Alexis Smith.
Singletary could ultimately lose his job if Alex continues to fail in his contract year.
Share 49ersWebzone