LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

NFL on Fox - 49er Game: "49ers Don't Call Explosive Plays"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Sing is an idiot for firing Mike Martz

say what u want but 3 years in that system and we'd be puttin up close to 30 a game. the oline sucked that year. and what you'd rather have Jimmy Raye then Martz?

[ Edited by Grigga2021 on Sep 12, 2010 at 19:41:11 ]
Originally posted by TDNiners:
Because we are too busy and too pig headed in trying to establish the run...
Yes.

They play like me in Madden, conservative. Except I kick ass in the YAC category.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Even if we were to call more "explosive plays"... Alex Smith would just over throw all of his receivers.

At least we would go down swinging. This team is going to end up playing out of the spread again this year (with Smith or Carr or Smith or Davis or who knows who else) because the offense that Singletary and Raye want to establish (and the one they devote the OTAs and training camp to) just won't cut it.
  • ZRF80
I dont agree at all. Im not denying that Raye lacks imagination and creativity. For the most part, his plays are bland. However, there's no way that he's calling simple 5 yard outs for ALL his receivers on each and every play.

It's not that we dont call explosive plays. Its that we dont execute them. A lot of that has to do with Alex Smith going through his checkdowns rather quickly and opting for the short pass. Of course, it works admirably when the score is 0-0, and you're team is on the offensive. However, when you're team is down 2-3 TDs, and now you're faced with actually throwing the ball downfield...........then your weaknesses are exposed. Alex Smith is not accurate. He doesnt place the ball for his receivers in great spots, and that explains why we lead the league every year (that he is our starter) in dropped and tipped passes. Our receivers have to make a lot of adjustments to make Smith's catches, and when they cant (keep in mind we dont have Rice, TO, Moss, Chris Carter, etc. playing for us), we're quick to jump on their throats and blame them for dropping passes.

I can think of at least 10 miscues from Alex today that cost us the game an/or changed the outcome of it. It's not the playcalling, folks. It's the execution aka Alex Smith.
Side-note, Jimmy Johnson when talking about Pete Carroll as an NFL coach said this "The fact that Pete has had prior experience as an NFL coach is a big plus. You saw it come into play earlier when he knew to challenge the Josh Morgan TD call. Being a prior NFL coach, he knew the receiver had to get two feet down for it to be a TD" Hmmm, you have to be an NFL coach to know the receiver had to get two feet down in bounds for it to be a catch?
we don't have an OC and we don't have an NFL caliber QB how in the hell going to get an Explosive plays called and exacuted !
Originally posted by sacniner:
We didn't really have enough time to throw deep.

What do you mean we didnt have enough time to throw deep?

We had like 25 minutes of Time of Possession in the 1st half
we have explosive plays in the playbook?

alex can throw a deep ball?

playoffs!!!!?

raye = a dieing yoda (looks like a dead yoda)

alex = puke skywalker or princess leah

Originally posted by TDNiners:
Because we are too busy and too pig headed in trying to establish the run...

Damn dude.....you hit it right on the head! My sentiments exactly!!!
i seen a lot of what sing said. oline did not protect well. no holes for gore. smith overthrew a few but was harrassed a lot also. defense over aggresive. what the hell was clements doing. 1 interception and he thinks he is going to jump every pass.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
in all fairness, we put together some nice looking drives in the first half. we ate up the clock and kept seattle's defense on the field.

now, execution in the redzone is a whole other story

Then got in the redzone and started running up the middle on 2 and 8. The play calling is awful. Also when they had Seattle back pedaling they started calling time outs to allow Seattle to regroup.

While I agree with you the 49ers playcalling is pretty predictable, they dominated most of the first half with it. Had Alex executed when they needed him to, TD's instead of field goals and turnovers could have altered the flow of the game. I'm getting a little tired of the I-form Gore up the gut as the only run though.
Originally posted by Apone:
Raye=Condom Offense

Agreed!
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Sing is an idiot for firing Mike Martz

I actually agree. When he was combined with a QB who was careful with the ball like Hill, he had our offense doing really well. He didn't use Vern very well though which was a bummer. But he got production out of guys like JHill and Morgan, he got us to score. Our offense was way better than him. Atleast we running FB dives on 3rd and goal at the 6 yard line
Share 49ersWebzone