LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Now, with VD signed, Here is my look towards 2011

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
can we sign alex, manny, goldson, and franklin and a 1st round pick with our salary cap?

we can i project between 43 and 51M in cap space for next season.

I figure 5M for Alex, 5M for Dashon, 7M for Aubrayo and 5M for Manny then another 6M for draftees

So thats 28M used, so its doable, then McDonald(1.5M), Spikes(3M), save $7M for emergencies during season.

That leaves 16.5M so we could sign a few FAs nothing big tho, i think we have learned it isnt a good idea to sign FAs to big deals.

Then we could extend Gore, Spencer and Smith if we wanted too with clever structuring.

So, I honestly dontt see all 4 making it next yr(Dashon, Manny, Aubrayo and Alex), 1 is gone IMO. Most likely is Aubrayo if RJF shows promise, if not then Dashon is gone.

Only $5 million for the starting QB position? IMO, your price is too low. Jake Delhomme 2-year contract with the Browns earns him $7 million this year. Kyle Orton just got a one-year $9 million extension. If Smith is worth re-signing, his price will be somewhere between $7 and $12 million depending on his performance.
Originally posted by fastforward:
can we sign alex, manny, goldson, and franklin and a 1st round pick with our salary cap?

I figure 5M for Alex, 5M for Dashon, 7M for Aubrayo and 5M for Manny then another 6M for draftees

So thats 28M used, so its doable, then McDonald(1.5M), Spikes(3M), save $7M for emergencies during season.

That leaves 16.5M so we could sign a few FAs nothing big tho, i think we have learned it isnt a good idea to sign FAs to big deals.

Then we could extend Gore, Spencer and Smith if we wanted too with clever structuring.

So, I honestly dontt see all 4 making it next yr(Dashon, Manny, Aubrayo and Alex), 1 is gone IMO. Most likely is Aubrayo if RJF shows promise, if not then Dashon is gone.

Only $5 million for the starting QB position? IMO, your price is too low. Jake Delhomme 2-year contract with the Browns earns him $7 million this year. Kyle Orton just got a one-year $9 million extension. If Smith is worth re-signing, his price will be somewhere between $7 and $12 million depending on his performance.

i think they are gonna frontload his contract in a long term deal that way if he happens to show that he isnt the qb of the future in the next couple of seasons he can be cut
goldson and Spikes we have to resign
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
If Alex Smith can lead the team to the playoffs, re-sign him. Anything less, give him the boot.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Why does everyone want to keep Manny? He set's the edge and everything, but we need a god damn passrusher there.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo63:
Why does everyone want to keep Manny? He set's the edge and everything, but we need a god damn passrusher there.

Actually we need a pass-rusher at the Will, I'm one of the very few who think Manny's doing a great job where hes at. I think its gonna be a mistake if we let him walk, he solidifies the Sam. What they need to do is start Brooks full time once hes healthy again and put Haralson back to a pass-rushing role.
didnt Gore just get an extention a couple seasons ago? I would give him a 4yr deal NOW!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Actually we need a pass-rusher at the Will, I'm one of the very few who think Manny's doing a great job where hes at. I think its gonna be a mistake if we let him walk, he solidifies the Sam. What they need to do is start Brooks full time once hes healthy again and put Haralson back to a pass-rushing role.

I agree, the Will is probably better than Sam for the pass rush, but are you going to pay Lawson big bucks, when we can draft someone to do his job at a fraction of the cost.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
didnt Gore just get an extention a couple seasons ago? I would give him a 4yr deal NOW!

No, Gore will be 29 when his contract is up. You going to give a 29 year old runningback an extention when we got Dixon waiting in the wings?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I agree, the Will is probably better than Sam for the pass rush, but are you going to pay Lawson big bucks, when we can draft someone to do his job at a fraction of the cost.

To be honest, Yes, I would. Lawson is still young at 26 yo, so I'd probably give him a 3-4 contract. We know what we have in Lawson, a draft pick could very well turn out to be Vernon Gholston. Besides we still need to draft a OLB/Will/Sam, Laboy and Briggs are not guarantees either, shoot neither is Haralson.

[ Edited by Kolohe on Sep 12, 2010 at 01:51:21 ]

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

No, Gore will be 29 when his contract is up. You going to give a 29 year old runningback an extention when we got Dixon waiting in the wings?

Frank deserves to stay until his performance begins to drop, but giving out longish contracts to players at that stage of their careers (career expectancy of a running back in the NFL?) is not a good idea. Why we have so much money to play with now is partly because we are not carrying loads of dead money for players no longer with us
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

To be honest, Yes, I would. Lawson is still young at 26 yo, so I'd probably give him a 3-4 contract. We know what we have in Lawson, a draft pick could very well turn out to be Vernon Gholston. Besides we still need to draft a OLB/Will/Sam, Laboy and Briggs are not guarantees either, shoot neither is Haralson.

Yeah, but Lawson doesn't do anything good. He's mediocre at everything. You want to pay him Calvin Pace money for an average player that can easily be replaced by a free agent or draft pick? No way.

It's going to be hard to let Manny go if he has another year like the last one. Dashon is a superstar in his own mind. Wouldn't mind signing him but not for the money he wants.
Share 49ersWebzone