There are 197 users in the forums

Vernon Davis signs 5 year extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's a good move. They need to sign him long term. And more importantly it frees up the potential Franchise and Transition tags for other guys which are coming due at the end of the season.

If, and hopefully if, those are a part of a new CBA. Teams and players are navigating strangly through this uncertain time. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been significant movement on the labor situation in recent months considering all the the big time extensions signed in the last few months(Austin, Brady, Willis, Gates, Mankins, Revis, Davis, Chris Johnson) For teams that don't know what the financial future holds they are sure spending a crap ton of money.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Willis deserves it,

Davis, I would have liked to seem him repeat this year, before cashing him out.

What if Manny Lawson and Dashon Goldson have pro-bowl years? Do we overpay to keep them?

Agreed. But I think that all signs point to the fact that it was because he was misused previously for whatever reason that may have been the problem why he never has the impact that he did until last year. Can you recall Davis running up the seam prior to Raye? I can't.

That said, I do think Davis should be able to replicate a good part of last year's performance.

I don't have too much of an issue with money though.

Edit: big props to Baalke and Paraag.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 11, 2010 at 15:12:47 ]
well worth it. they can worry about the financial matters, we just locked up the best TE in the game for 6 more years. great move.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
well worth it. they can worry about the financial matters, we just locked up the best TE in the game for 6 more years. great move.

It still kind of bugs me Jimmy didn't let Davis get the TD record.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

it was smart, he mighta got paid more money!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

who cares he'll shatter it this year
Great job by the 9ers and the timing of the signing. Now that Davis has got his recognition, its time to get your game on Davis!!!
only 9 pages

f**king MRob got more than this
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
patrick willis best linebacker in the league got a record deal, im good with that
davis the best tight end in the leagure got a record deal, im good with that
they both deserve it, however, i hope we just dont start overspending on people like goldston and etc.....

I wanna see Goldson prove himself some more

If goldson is looking for the type of money that Rolle got with the giants then I say let him walk.....This team has some serious talent as backups at S. The team also has some good young depth at OLB.

Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Montanaisgodlike:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Get Goldson and Lawson signed now, please.

No, we can do better than Lawson. I want a stud there. Goldson, I want to see do it another year.

correction. we can do better than haralson
Signed through 2010
QB Alex Smith: This season will play out. And, then, the 49ers must decide if they believe the franchise is better-served moving forward with or without him. It's pretty clear that Smith will receive the benefit of the doubt. He's the kind of guy the 49ers want to retain. He's a captain for the first time. And he doesn't want to go anywhere else.
NT Aubrayo Franklin: He signed his one-year tender as the team's franchise player two weeks ago. The franchise tag remains an option for next season, too, if he has a good season. (And the tag remains part of the next collective bargaining agreement.)
OLB Manny Lawson: The sides never came close to working out a long-term extension this offseason. Lawson's side is looking for something along the lines of what Calvin Pace received from the Jets (six years, $42 million with $22 million guaranteed). At 26, his price will go up if he has a good season.
S Dashon Goldson: He's looking for big money, too. There might not be as much urgency with him because the fourth-year player could be a restricted free agent with the next collective bargaining agreement.
LB Takeo Spikes: He is entering his 13th season. He wants to play 15 years in the league. It all depends on what role the 49ers envision for him -- and what he envisions for himself -- after this season.
S Michael Lewis: He accepted a dramatic pay reduction in exchange for the 49ers tearing up the final two years of his deal. The 49ers kept five safeties on the roster, so there would not appear to be much room for Lewis in the future.
C/G David Baas: After one week of camp, he was a backup guard. Now, he heads into the season as the starting center. One 49ers source told CSN Bay Area that if Baas plays well, he has a chance to hang onto the starting job even after Eric Heitmann returns from his broken fibula.
DL Ray McDonald: He has a vital role as an inside pass-rusher in the 49ers' nickel defense. His stock could be on the rise with a good season.
RB Brian Westbrook: The nine-year pro was picked up after Glen Coffee's sudden retirement. It remains to be seen if he can stay healthy and whether he'll find a way to contribute behind Frank Gore.
OLB Travis LaBoy: He'll be in a three-man rotation as a pass rusher to begin the season. After Ahmad Brooks returns, he'll be in a fight to get on the field.
OT Barry Sims: The veteran is nothing more than an insurance policy at this point. He is slated to be inactive on Sunday.

Signed through 2011
RB Frank Gore, WR Josh Morgan, RG Chilo Rachal, C Eric Heitmann, LB Ahmad Brooks, K Joe Nedney, FB Moran Norris, S Reggie Smith, OL Adam Snyder.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/11/10/Maiocco-Whos-Next-in-Line-for-Contract/landing.html?full_args=09/11/10/Maiocco-Whos-Next-in-Line-for-Contract/landing&blockID=308855&feedID=5936
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's a good move. They need to sign him long term. And more importantly it frees up the potential Franchise and Transition tags for other guys which are coming due at the end of the season.

If, and hopefully if, those are a part of a new CBA. Teams and players are navigating strangly through this uncertain time. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been significant movement on the labor situation in recent months considering all the the big time extensions signed in the last few months(Austin, Brady, Willis, Gates, Mankins, Revis, Davis, Chris Johnson) For teams that don't know what the financial future holds they are sure spending a crap ton of money.

They might be worried about losing the salary cap completely. So they are signing their best players so they don't hit the market next year and beyond completely uncapped.
Now my ranking of who are in line for extensions.

Needs extensions:

Frank Gore- Obviously our best back, I know we probably have our future in Dixon, but Gore is worth 5M a yr. But it might be difficult since his agent is Drew Rosenhaus

Takeo Spikes]- Classic Vet, mentor, and worth 3M a yr.

I would like to wait and see approach:

Manny Lawson- I would rather us wait and see how he does in 2010, He wants Calvin pace money, which was 42M overall, 26M guar. I worry if we sign him, he turns into Haralson, who is terrible now.

Dashon Goldson- Another wait and see, the guy even with a breakout season, is NOT worth 8M a yr.

Guys who must wait till off-season:

Aubrayo Franklin- He signed his tender and must wait till atleast mid february of 2011.

Who i would like to extend, but for low money deals.

Ray McDonald- Good DE, and we could lock him up for 3yrs and 8M.

Josh Morgan- Another good WR, not a 2nd WR but good 3rd WR, so say 4yrs and 6.5M

Young guys Who I like but wait;

Diyral Briggs, Alex Boone, Ahmad Brooks, and Dominique Zeigler.

Let go of.

Michael Lewis, Barry Sims, David Baas or Tony Wragge.

Cut Adam Snyder and restructure Nate Clements.

Thats my ideal situation.

Then come draft time.

#1 CB
C for the future
OG/OT
Pass Rush 3-4 DE
NT for backup(IF Franklin doesn't re-sign.)
ILB for backup
Finally our organization starts doing things right. Kudos Baalke, Maarathe, and even young York. I see a little bit of Eddie D in him.

We are moving in the right direction folks. Come on A.Smith, please play like the franchise QB you can be!
Share 49ersWebzone