There are 256 users in the forums

Vernon Davis signs 5 year extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Locking up our own players is obviously priority number one. Will probably start to hear some rumblings about Manny Lawson getting extended. If Alex performs the way we're all hoping he does He'll quickly become the top priority. I was really worried coming into this season with Willis and Davis both needing immediate extensions, but now that we got them locked up I feel a lot better, knowing that we won't have to use our franchise tag on either of them gives us a lot more flexibility.

I don't think extending Alex will be hard, he's the type of guy that would take a hometown discount to ensure that the team can hold onto talent.

Alex won't be hard at all. Now the question is who do we franchise? I say we have to go with Goldson. RJF should be able to start next year and I don't think we have an answer yet for Goldson's spot.
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
Locking up our own players is obviously priority number one. Will probably start to hear some rumblings about Manny Lawson getting extended. If Alex performs the way we're all hoping he does He'll quickly become the top priority. I was really worried coming into this season with Willis and Davis both needing immediate extensions, but now that we got them locked up I feel a lot better, knowing that we won't have to use our franchise tag on either of them gives us a lot more flexibility.

I don't think extending Alex will be hard, he's the type of guy that would take a hometown discount to ensure that the team can hold onto talent.

Alex won't be hard at all. Now the question is who do we franchise? I say we have to go with Goldson. RJF should be able to start next year and I don't think we have an answer yet for Goldson's spot.

reggie smith aint bad id perfer goldson too but i heard hes asking for top money he isnt a top 5 FS in the nfl maybe top 10 at best
Great move, helps immediately and long term.

In this Non-capped year this is a good move by the FO.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

reggie smith aint bad id perfer goldson too but i heard hes asking for top money he isnt a top 5 FS in the nfl maybe top 10 at best

Which is why we won't franchise him.

Without knowing the new CBA, or if there will even be a 2011 season, we don't need to worry about franchising anyone. There may not even be a franchise provision in the next CBA. Not only that, Goldson is going to have to have a MUCH better season than he did last year for the team to put the franchise tag on him.

Agreed. I really like this move. I just hope that we don't wait to resign one of our big FA defensive players who is up next year.
Share 49ersWebzone