There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis signs 5 year extension

Wow. VD and Willis for the next five years! Very nice.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I wanna hear krizays thoughts on this

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Willis deserves it,

Davis, I would have liked to seem him repeat this year, before cashing him out.

What if Manny Lawson and Dashon Goldson have pro-bowl years? Do we overpay to keep them?

Next year he could negotiate with any other team and we would have to pay him even more money.

We got him for a very good price when you compare him side-by-side with Gates. Vernon is an incredible blocker and no single human on the planet can cover him one-on-one.
Last year was just a glimpse of what he can do. He did most of it in the second half of the season when we finally decided to throw him the ball.

Also, now he will be a much more confident player and teammate this season knowing that his future is as a 49er.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Now my ranking of who are in line for extensions.

Needs extensions:

Frank Gore- Obviously our best back, I know we probably have our future in Dixon, but Gore is worth 5M a yr. But it might be difficult since his agent is Drew Rosenhaus

Takeo Spikes]- Classic Vet, mentor, and worth 3M a yr.

I would like to wait and see approach:

Manny Lawson- I would rather us wait and see how he does in 2010, He wants Calvin pace money, which was 42M overall, 26M guar. I worry if we sign him, he turns into Haralson, who is terrible now.

Dashon Goldson- Another wait and see, the guy even with a breakout season, is NOT worth 8M a yr.

Guys who must wait till off-season:

Aubrayo Franklin- He signed his tender and must wait till atleast mid february of 2011.

Who i would like to extend, but for low money deals.

Ray McDonald- Good DE, and we could lock him up for 3yrs and 8M.

Josh Morgan- Another good WR, not a 2nd WR but good 3rd WR, so say 4yrs and 6.5M

Young guys Who I like but wait;

Diyral Briggs, Alex Boone, Ahmad Brooks, and Dominique Zeigler.

Let go of.

Michael Lewis, Barry Sims, David Baas or Tony Wragge.

Cut Adam Snyder and restructure Nate Clements.

Thats my ideal situation.

Then come draft time.

#1 CB
C for the future
OG/OT
Pass Rush 3-4 DE
NT for backup(IF Franklin doesn't re-sign.)
ILB for backup

Lewis, Sims and Snyder ARE gone next year. Not a single doubt in my mind. I doubt Baas is going anywhere unless someone offers him crazy money based on this season. TKO may be gone too depending on who steps up this season or during TC next year.

And I seriously wish people would stop looking at the big number and keep their eye on the little number in contract numbers. Say manny got Pace bling. Does anyone REALLY believe he gets all $43 million? Really? If you been watching this game for longer than a couple years, you KNOW that Manny ain't gonna make that. Especially from a contract that is backloaded with incentives.

~Ceadder
WOW we got VD Locked up for 5 years. I love it. Don't break the bank on Aubrayo Franklin. I got faith in RJF.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Manny Lawson should be next!!!!!
Then we can cut Haralson and then resign Goldson!
Then sign Alex Smith
Then Baas (to center pay)

I keep hearing the guy wants crazy money, but does anyone know the ballpark figure?

He wants a deal similar to Calvin Pace
Probably not as much, but similar

Thanks.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Get Goldson and Lawson signed now, please.

Personally, I think Lawson would be a bigger priority, but if we signed both it definitely be the icing on the cake.
Originally posted by obx49:

Personally, I think Lawson would be a bigger priority, but if we signed both it definitely be the icing on the cake.

not goldson i would like him to prove himself for another year and if asks for too much money he can be replaced

lawson on the otehr hand has been very consistant he gets pressure on the qb and completely shuts down the run on his side and is great at covering the opponents when asked to drop back i wouldnt mind signing him now for an extension
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Vernon will tear up Seattle. 2 td, 129 yds, 3 injuried DBs

Pretty funny. And very possible.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

not goldson i would like him to prove himself for another year and if asks for too much money he can be replaced

lawson on the otehr hand has been very consistant he gets pressure on the qb and completely shuts down the run on his side and is great at covering the opponents when asked to drop back i wouldnt mind signing him now for an extension

With all the safeties we have, I wouldn't mind waiting on Goldson. Manny, on the other hand, I really feel that he is going to have a huge year. I'm thinking double digit sacks and lots of pressure on the QB.
WAAAY OVERPAYED!!!!

I just thought this thread needed some negativity.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I agree 100 percent.

Goldson is a very good player, but he's asking for elite player money. I would like to keep him, but with Mays and R.Smith in the wings I think the money is better spent somewhere else.

Lawson has to be the priority.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Wow. VD and Willis for the next five years! Very nice.

just read the news, been out all day..... I am SO happy right now..

not just because we have Vernon, but the fact that having both of these players is SO important to this organization. Their presence demands respect, both work hard in practice and imo, are all-around the best at their positions. Rookies will want to match their level of play..

I mean, look how Bowman wanted to race Willis, and held his own.....he wanted to show how athletic he is as well, but as he plays along and watches Willis...he will want to and learn how to take is play to another level besides just athleticism.

free agents will want to play along with these players....hope it won't be needed and we can just add through the draft...but what ever helps the team, I'm for.

I feel VERY good about the next 6 years...
Great job by the 49ers to get this deal done.

Two thumbs way up!