There are 152 users in the forums

Clements Demoted?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wouldn't really call it a demotion. It's more of a position change.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
I wouldn't really call it a demotion. It's more of a position change.

agreed more of a strategic move
watch in week 2 he will guard colston
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by imoDvoris:
Calling Spencer a shut down corner is a BIG

No one called him a shutdown corner buddy.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its more like Spencer getting promoted....which is good for us. Spencer is grossly underrated on this board (^). He is a shutdown corner. Maybe not like Reevis or Asamoungha, but he can shut it down and gets the job done.
Originally posted by imoDvoris:
Calling Spencer a shut down corner is a BIG

calling spencer a shutdown corner is a big stretch armstong?
Demoted? and this surprises you? I thought everyone knew that Spencer was the best CB on the team. Nate was caught freelancing WAY too much last year and the team paid for it. Nate needs to play within the system and stop trying to jump every other route. Seems like he gets burned on a double move at least once a game. He just doesn't have the speed to cover up his mistakes.

If the Niners can find a consistent pass rush, the DBs will look that much better.
Clements has been a horrible FA bust
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:

What? He may not have lived up too our expectations or his paycheck but he is a solid CB, yah he gets torched a little too often but he is good against the pass and he is a solid piece of our run D.

[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Sep 12, 2010 at 00:47:08 ]
Overpaid? Maybe.

Bust? You trippin'

Sure, he gives up a big play here and there, but it's not as often as your tone sounds like.

Spencer >> Clements, but Nate is still pretty solid.
Originally posted by STNiner:
I thought slot Recievers are the quick shifty ones....I.E Ginn

And playing off the WR(Nate is physical) allows him to back pedal and react or play the Line and jam the Slot out of position.

Remember this is the NFL where QBs' trust their man to be open downfield. Nate should know if he has Safety help over the top or not. If he has help he has a better chance at coming up big with a turnover. If not, he's capable enough to fight for the ball.

Too much is being made about Nate imho. He should have been moved to the 2nd spot last season where his Fysicality matches well with slot Receivers who are less likely to play physical with an F.

I'm going to worry about positions 4 thru * in Dime packs and less time worrying about 1 thru 3.

Oh and btw, I take exception to anybody calling him a FA Bust. The game is geared toward OFFENSE since it's a PASSING LEAGUE. He doesn't give up that many big plays. And the plays he has given up can be attributed to the occasional whiff when he jumps the route or when the Safety was not where the Safety was SUPPOSED to be in ZONE coverage situations. Then you have games where you can't keep a guy from scoring just cause the Sun shine's even on a Dog's ass. Up to last season Nate kept his assignments under 75 yards average with a handful of Catches.

Yeah that sounds like a FA Bust. I say to you who are out your ass that you don't have clue one of what you're about.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 12, 2010 at 01:47:37 ]
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Demoted? and this surprises you? I thought everyone knew that Spencer was the best CB on the team. Nate was caught freelancing WAY too much last year and the team paid for it. Nate needs to play within the system and stop trying to jump every other route. Seems like he gets burned on a double move at least once a game. He just doesn't have the speed to cover up his mistakes.

If the Niners can find a consistent pass rush, the DBs will look that much better.

Not a demotion AK. Just putting him in a better position to succeed. He's getting older. It was the smart way to go. He's still Starting. So if you can show me how Starting is a demotion then I'll concede to your point.

~Ceadder

arizona plays their big receivers inside, im pretty sure moving nate inside reflects the kind of receiver he'll be facing. its gonna be a situational thing i think. beside nate is great against the run and he could be an awesome blitzer from that spot. manusky knows what he's doing, i trust him.

This post is either:

Trolling,

Inciting

Or just plain ignorant.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Not a demotion AK. Just putting him in a better position to succeed. He's getting older. It was the smart way to go. He's still Starting. So if you can show me how Starting is a demotion then I'll concede to your point.

~Ceadder

It's putting your players in the best position to succeed. It's called smart coaching. And he's not that old BTW. People act like Clements is 39 years old or something. He is not. Plenty of people play productive football at CB at his age and much older.

What people don't like is the contract he got. And they feel he is not worth that. But most of that was back loaded and not guaranteed. And he will never see a lot of it. Despite it all he is a good player and our D would be much worse without him. He's good against big WR's like Fitzgerald who he shut down a few times. He's just not great against track stars. But every guy has their strenghts. So use Clements strenghts.
Share 49ersWebzone