There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Clements Demoted?

Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Wasn't Clements one of the best CB's in the league before he came here?

No, he was a good CB. He had made the pro bowl one time. His huge contract fooled a lot of us into thinking he was better than he was.

I don't regret it. He was an immediate upgrade over what we had and it's not like we've paid him the huge outrageous money yet.

-9fA
  • Chico
  • Veteran
NC is a playmaker and a hitter! He was worth the $ to me because we had nothing before him. I don't even remember who was the CB before NC? Anyone?
Clememts has always been better pressing around the line of scrimmage. We just haven't used him that way. But we should. It's when he's the most effective. And he's still our best CB BTW abeit overpaid.
I think it's a legitimate demotion because Spencer is better in coverage, but Nate is still solid, arguably our best overall because of his run support.

He's probably underperformed his contract a little, but everyone overpays to get good players (not necessarily even great ones) just because of the nature of free agency, and it hasn't prevented us from acquiring other big names like Justin Smith since then.
Nate has always done well against fitz which has been the difference in many of those games. I agree with the poster above that if Seattle thinks Mike Williams is so great SF should put Nate on him and take him out of the game.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by STNiner:
I thought slot Recievers are the quick shifty ones....I.E Ginn

Ginn isn't shifty. Ginn's skill sets fits that of a flanker (the receiver that stretches the field because of his speed). When think of slot receivers, think Wes Welker or Steve Smith.

I still say that Zeigler is our best slot option. He'll be there as Ginn continues to drop passes.

Z is our best kept secret right now. Alex is more comfortable using the middle of the field and all he needs now is sure hands and someone who can handle the punishment.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Wasn't Clements one of the best CB's in the league before he came here?

No, he was a good CB. He had made the pro bowl one time. His huge contract fooled a lot of us into thinking he was better than he was.

I don't regret it. He was an immediate upgrade over what we had and it's not like we've paid him the huge outrageous money yet.

-9fA

haha Ditto remember the people like : Mike Rumph, ahmed Plummer, marquez pope, jason webber, ronnie heards, Mark Mcmilling( bum), Monty Mongomery!(skinny ass crackhead), Darlnel walker(crack head number 2) LMAO....good our CB's were wack, they always got burned........my 2 biggest Disapointments were plummer and Rumph i thought they would do a lot
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Free agency, particularly big money free agents are huge risks. Football is a team game with scheming and chemistry that leads to success. Compared to TJ Housh and Haynesworth, we've gotten pretty good production out of Smith and Clements.
everybody gets burned sometime, whether your Nate Clements, Nnamdi Asomugha, Champ Bailey or even Darrelle Revis.

And yes Nate was one of the best CB's back in 07 when we signed him.
Motivation.
no one realizes how good spencer is. he is criminally under rated
good move he is the physical guy he is not meant to guard speedy people like desean jackson and that sort however he does shut down the physical guys like fitz boldin and andre johnson (like he did last year)
Spencer is finally developing.

After being a 2nd rd pick in 2004, he looks like a great player. Got his extension and wasnt looking good, but he has come on.

Defintely underrated.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
no one realizes how good spencer is. he is criminally under rated

thats good, means we can keep him cheap
remember that we had to throw a lot of money at players back them to convince them to come here. we were really bad guys. that contract and pulling clements to SF probably opened eyes to other free agents to recognize us again.