There are 257 users in the forums

VD at WR question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but I was wondering why VD never lines up on the outside.... seems like with his speed, he could take on corners and out muscle them, win jump balls etc. more of a mismatch than having a safety or linebacker cover him.
San Diego uses Gates effectively at WR sometimes, I've always wanted the same for Davis....

but I think the last couple of years he has been needed to help block so we have kept him in...... I hope with Byham now with us, we can move Davis to the outside every now and then.

edit- how about this...if we sign Manny to a new contract....how about we use him every now and then in goal line situations .

[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 9, 2010 at 14:42:12 ]
ya i wonder that too but theyve been using max protect formations a lot these last few years because vernon is such a great blocker. with byham and westbrook added we have two more capable blockers so they can get a little creative with vernon in the passing game this year hopefully
Actually, that's a pretty good question, especially when one considers Raye's reputation as a creative user of TEs. Just goes to show how woeful last year's O-line was.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
San Diego uses Gates effectively at WR sometimes, I've always wanted the same for Davis....

but I think the last couple of years he has been needed to help block so we have kept him in...... I hope with Byham now with us, we can move Davis to the outside every now and then.

edit- how about this...if we sign Manny to a new contract....how about we use him every now and then in goal line situations .

That's a killer idea. Send him on a pass route to confuse the defense.
The Niners have lined up VD at WR in certain spread packages.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for 49AllTheTime.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:

this
Inside (slot) receivers are generally covered by linebackers (sometimes safeties) this is a mismatch in VD's favor. Outside receivers draw Defensive backs in coverage, this is a mismatch going the other way.

VD is fast and athletic, but the speed and agility of a DB would make it real hard for him to get open.

In a three receiver look, outsides will draw DBs, slot a safety, which means VD should always get an OLB in coverage, with safety over the top, advantage CRABTREE in the slot! No imagine to trouble a defense would have in a three wide look with WESTBROOK, running a little flare pass! Holy crap, that should get VD the Middle linebacker! OUCH

This package on third and long, will force teams to stay in ZONE and help prevent teams from blitzing. Against the Tampa 2 (two deep man under) it should shred!

I hope Sing/Raye will let this Offense of the chain!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Inside (slot) receivers are generally covered by linebackers (sometimes safeties) this is a mismatch in VD's favor. Outside receivers draw Defensive backs in coverage, this is a mismatch going the other way.

VD is fast and athletic, but the speed and agility of a DB would make it real hard for him to get open.

In a three receiver look, outsides will draw DBs, slot a safety, which means VD should always get an OLB in coverage, with safety over the top, advantage CRABTREE in the slot! No imagine to trouble a defense would have in a three wide look with WESTBROOK, running a little flare pass! Holy crap, that should get VD the Middle linebacker! OUCH

This package on third and long, will force teams to stay in ZONE and help prevent teams from blitzing. Against the Tampa 2 (two deep man under) it should shred!

I'm thinking shotgun draw

edit: To Moran Norris

[ Edited by Godsleftsock on Sep 9, 2010 at 18:09:19 ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by BasharCali49:

this

He usually lined up in the slot, when the D has to pick between putting a CB or a LB on him. Either way, it ends up being a mismatch.

wasnt he a wr when he scored against the colts?

ah...maybe not
Originally posted by ads_2006:

ah...maybe not

He was when he scored against the Rams on that 70-something yarder at the end of last year.
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:
Originally posted by ads_2006:

ah...maybe not

He was when he scored against the Rams on that 70-something yarder at the end of last year.

that is correct.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

I'm thinking shotgun draw

edit: To Moran Norris

Se Yo TambiƩn!
IMO it's because Davis doesn't have the agility to run precise routes on a consistent basis, which is fine cause he's a TE. He's not supposed to be a WR running precise routes.
Share 49ersWebzone